Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mentholatum chest of grandma

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, hugging grandma meant hugging a faintly scary hair-netted nightgown of mentholatum-chest and whispered southern comforts.

Full circle, as I lie here tonight with some toxic avenger style bronchitis, I am rubbin' it on thick, and dang if it don't work!

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

You're on a roll man! :D

First Ambien, and now this! :p

For congestion and bronchitis, I've had great results with generic guaifenesin... Just drink lots of water. And it's cheap too!

Hope you feel better soon. :cool:

3. 1955

Thankfully I have friends (who, in kilts introduced me to haggis,) and they dropped me off the EXTRA strength mucinex. 1200mg. The first time I coughed, the neighbors long lost poodle reappeared.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1955

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

3 of my Grandparents had passed before I was 8... I don't remember them very well...

the last Granny hung in there until I was 18 or so.... she was 87.... lived in a big old country house, cooked on a wooden stove and chopped her own firewood... tough as old boots and took no crap from her juniors..... a pioneer woman the likes of which we don't see anymore.... way cool, Granny..:)

I missed not having grandparents into my adult hood.... to get to know them as an adult........ hear some of those old family stories that only GP's can tell.....

I think my Granny smelled of wood smoke, sunlight soap and lavender....:)

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Mine smelled like Jergen's Lotion and After Eight mints.

The other one smelled mostly like Boone's Farm....

8. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

my granny used this stuff. she called it "Vick's Salve"

[​IMG]

9. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

My great grandma Kitty mostly smelled like Lucky Strikes, Jim Beam, and AM radio broadcasts of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

She used to watch me when I was sick because we lived in the same block. If I remember correctly, her remedy for almost everything was frozen Ho-Hos. I loved that lady.

10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, this thread is about mentholatum, and I don't have much to say about that, but I appreciate the opportunity to visit the memories of both my grandmothers, and reflect upon the things they've left in my mind and in my blood. Two very different people, each one a wonder to me. And their husbands. . . !

11. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

We use Vicks whenever the ole sinus head cold visits! Good stuff.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Sudafed with Pseudoephedrine is the only thing that opens my nasal passages, when they shutdown.

It is getting harder and harder to get.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied

mine too. same term too.

and white shoulders perfume...

my grandma dipped levi garrett when she sewed or ironed clothes.

and she had a chicken cooking almost all the time (sometimes just bones)

nothing about my grandma was creepy. I was raised by her and she was the constant in my life.... she was pretty much all my friends favorite person and funny and loved to sneak out back and smoke the occasional tiparillo...

Bob McDill got this one right... Hope you start feeling better, I've been sick for 2 weeks and I'm finally feeling a little more like myself.

14. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

My Grandma was a constant in my life as well ... she'd have a 1/2 a can of Black Label beer with her lunch, watch her "story" (afternoon soap) and take a nap. Wasn't afraid to do her own yard work (if one of us wasn't around) and did so into her late 80's. Could cuss like a merchant marine if someone honked her off. She's been gone a long while now, but hardly a day goes by that I ain't reminded of her in some way or another .... loved that old woman.

15. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

One grandma probably never finished high school. Married twice, 4 children, of which 2 at least finished college. 9 grandchildren, all still alive as far as I know. Worked on the farm with the second husband until she died.

Other grandma had a private school education. 3 children, of which at least 1 finished college. 10 grandchildren. 3 dead with at least 1 suicide. Of the living, 5 convicted felons.

My sisten and I are the sole loving non-felonious ones.

Guess which grandma I liked better?

16. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

That's the stuff- chest colds, stopped up noses, and even toothaches.:D

17. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My Grandma firmly believed that Vicks vaporub would cure anything!

Cuts,bruises, sprains, coughs, sneezes, insect bites, anything!

I remember she even made me eat some once!

18. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

My grandma is big on Bagbalm. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 grandmothers still alive.

19. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

This thread makes me wish I could hang out with my grandma again.

20. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

The only grandparents I really knew didn't like me all that much. We moved off when I was little and by the time we came back I think it was too late to bond much.

They sure meant a lot to my older brothers, though.

I've given my parents and my wife's parents the green light to have our kids stay the night with them once a week (they alternate weeks, so the kids get to go to one set of grandparents each week). I'm hoping they'll have a lot of memories that I didn't.

I'm not complaining, though. Being the youngest of six kids, I got a lot of memories of my parents and they both tended to spoil me. It's kinda like having parents and grandparents rolled into one.

Mom likes to use Vicks and such. You'll also get a good whiff of icy hot (or some derivative of it) at their house...

21. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

when i was in college, Bob McDill came to speak to our creative writing class. at the end of his talk, he played a new song he had written: "Good Ole Boys Like Me". i got a chance to speak to him afterwards and told him how much i liked the song and asked if he planned on recording it. he said "i think i'm gonna offer it to Bobby Bare". i said, "no man, that's got Don Williams written all over it." i like to think i had a hand in getting it to Don.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.