Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Melody Maker Club.....

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Jul 8, 2009.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    There must be 50 white Melody Makers in the TDPRI home collections.

Here are mine. The red one is actually gone now but the black and burst models are staying..........

Let's see some Melody Makers!

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

I just had to mod mine,now it's like my old firebird 1 except it's super compact and so damn easy to take along in just a gig bag.I've had a ton of gibsons before the prices of 'em got stupid and i'm not sayin' that this gibson MM guitar is the best one i've ever owned but it's so thin,light and fun to play i'd be hard pressed to say it is'nt my favorite.
  3. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2006
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. That TV Yellow looks great, Endzone!

Yes, I am considering refinning mine, in large part because the back of the neck is rough to the touch. But I like the sound, and I appreciate "staying in touch" with the 24.75 scale so I can speak about it from current experience, not ancient history:

6. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Love mine.

7. John, did the fact the red one went away have anything to do with which "generation" that MM came from? I hear different opinions on the various iterations of Melody Makers, and since you owned both recent types, I wondered if you formed any definitive conclusions?

Much obliged.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    no pic of my $249 MF special. but hey i think you know what they look like.
  9. djdeacon

djdeacon Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    My '62 is currently in my buddy Dan's shop, awaiting a refin. It was "Les Paul"-ized back in the 70's (two Gibson 'buckers, Leo Quan Badass bridge, "big-washer" Grovers), so we're trying to decide how to redo it now. It has a MASSIVE top rout, with an equally massive 'guard to cover it up.

I like the Pelham blue they used on later, "SG" style MM's, but Dan thinks we should use a stock colour from that period - Cherry, walnut or black/yellow 'burst. I don't think that matters as much, since the guit is so heavily modded already.

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Tele-Afflicted

Nov 28, 2006
    I recently got one of the white RI's and I love it. Best per dollar value of any guitar I've bought at fair market price.
    Think I'll go play it...loud.
  11. emiller45

emiller45 Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2008
    Cortez, CO
    My first electric guitar was a Melody Maker, circa 1960 or so. I sure wish I had it now.
  12. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

My first "good" guitar was a '65 cherry Melody Maker D. It had old Grovers and a BadAss bridge. I replaced the pots and the bridge. Sold to finance a Les Paul. I traded a Kramer bass for a second one a few years later. This one had Sperzels that I replaced with old Grovers (fit the existing holes and looked better), and I replaced the bridge. Traded it for a Musicmaster Bass.
  13. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    Here is me and the 1971 Melody Maker D with Vibrola My dad gave me.
  14. djangomusic

djangomusic TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Lincs, UK
    This is a pic of my 2 Melody Makers - one a 65 with a very thick neck and original case, and a battered 61 with a Seymour Duncan replacing the original - It was like that when I bought it - both very different in sound and feel but love em both!

15. Cardboard Robot

Cardboard Robot Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2009
    Noke Town, Va
    Count me in!
    ignore the background mess
  16. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a reissue, 2006 iteration, Single pup. Love the nech. It is the burst model. Cheaply made but the fret board and neck feel are so different and friendly. I played each one of my electrics through a Crate acoustic amp at one time to find which guitar had the nicest sounding pup without any other coloring. After a little while it became apparent that the MM had the cleanest and most intriguing sound, even over a couple tele's. At least in that application. I thought at the time I might use it with an acoustic playing buddy, alas the tele through a Fender amp won out, can not beat that sound! ...Doug
  17. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

Aug 16, 2007
    Monroe, NC
    I have one of the plethora of white ones. :D
  18. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's my '68 MM.

Quite an amazing little guitar. :D
  19. Notalent

Notalent Former Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Cape Cod
    One my first electrics (71-73?-muddled time period) was a 1957, single P90, burst body MM. This gutar had the sweetest neck! Several LP owners offered an even swap. Guitar got destroyed in a car wreck.
  20. Have any of you guys tried:

1) A Gotoh GE 101-A Stop Tail in aluminum? Where can you get this part, btw?

2) A Lollar Melodymaker 90 style pickup and custom pickguard that now appears on Jason's site? Sounds like a fast and easy swap for the very latest generation MM, and of some earlier ones.

Much obliged.
  21. palomaeki

palomaeki TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Tornio, Finland
    Heres mine:

It's been modded pretty much everytime it has failed me.
    Many times that means!

07 single pu reissue.
    Kent Armstrong P90 and a 60's Bigsby from an old Gretsch.

Love it!
    My main axe definitely. :lol:

The amp in the picture is a Peavey Nano Valve combo I just tonight modded into a chinese souvenir transistor radio thing......
    The radio itself was pretty rough, electrics looked at least 40 years old and it looked like it had blown up.

Might become somekind of a booster or something in the near future that radio!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.