Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Meet The "Ultimate" Blues Jr. (NOS Tubes, G12H, BillM, etc)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by NCSUZoSo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    What I described (more articulate, etc.) was with the low profile OT. I like it.

2. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Alright I think I will go with it and does anyone ever upgrade the power transformer that isn't doing a 6L6 conversion?

I ended up getting the TO20B, because I can always use more bass :lol: and it is supposed to be more efficient + lower noise. I will wait to post updated pics once I install the new output transformer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

3. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

My dream amp is a Blues Jr with tremolo. With all the different takes on the Blues Jr that Fender has done so far, why not add tremolo?

4. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    I feel like the tremolo offered in the BYOC tremolo pedal based off the EA tremolo pedal is better than what is offered in the Excelsior and I doubt we would get much better than what is in the Excelsior for the Blues Jr. if they ever did it.

http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pedals/modulation/tremolo.html

5. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

You're probably right, but I thought the tremolo in the Excelsior was decent enough.

6. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    I'm not saying it is bad, just that we can get damn good tremolo through pedals, but I get what you are saying, it would be cool to have a Blues Jr. with one built in.

Thanks!!

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't know what the Excelsior has, but for example, I don't much care for the SS op-amp tremolo in the Deluxe Reverb. The Princeton's tube bias trem sounds much smoother to me.

Any built-in trem in a Blues Jr would almost surely be opamp. I don't see Fender adding trem at all, but I really can't see them adding tube socket(s). 'Cause then you may as well think about addressing the SS rectifier, and verb. And there goes the price point.

I just need classic sine wave, no square or asym helicopter noises. The Jam Chill pedal is fantastic for this. The Catalinbread Pareidolia is different, but also excellent. It emulates the brownface harmonic trem that Fender used only for a short period around 1962.

8. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    The Chill is very similar to BYOC's Tremolo Pedal, they both use a single op-amp and transistors to achieve the sound.

The Chill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(you can see a parts list by looking on the BYOC site for theirs)

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Cool. I wasn't aware of BYOC. And yes, the Chill is opamp, but it's not harsh and clicky like a DR. Do you know why that would be the case?

I sometimes turn the depth all the way down and use it as a boost/sweetener. I'm sure it's not all that unique of a trem, but once I tried it, I mostly stopped looking.

I got the Chill to use with my Bjr. Now that I'm playing the Princeton, I don't use the pedal as much. But it is as good as the Princeton's trem IMO, which is saying something, with the added benefit of greater speed range (slower), and perhaps a bit more throb.

10. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

May 5, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    So if we are here to Meet the "Ultimate", how's about some sound clips?

11. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    It's in quotes for a reason and I don't have any hardware to do a sound clip that would be better than a phone or crap digital camera. If I can get it to my buddies house I will mic it up and get a clip for sure (but that won't be anytime soon, since that is a 2.5 hour drive, I'll get it eventually though).

Edit: I just asked him actually and he may be coming my way to do a show and he said we could mic it before the show. So it may not be very long.

12. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    New Pictures w/ TO20B Output Transformer and Clean Boost Module w/ Footswitch Installed. You'll notice a few difference since the first pictures ;)

[​IMG]

New and Old Output Transformer:

[​IMG]

TO20B Installed:

[​IMG]

BillM Clean Boost Module Installed:

[​IMG]

Stereo Footswitch Mod w/ Line Out Mod (BillM):

[​IMG]

I believe one of the other mods I didn't have before was the Standby Switch, which is now installed.

Finished PCB w/ Mods:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    I thought someone could give me tips on wiring management, I don't think mine is managed in the best fashion and I've heard wire management does affect sound quality (mainly noise). Or do I already have it about the best I can do?

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Is it noisy?

Mine was always pretty quiet, but I sit close to it, near a computer, for hours at a time. I took it to my tech for a look-see, and he said he re-routed a wire or two, and now it's so completely silent I can't tell it's on. So, it's certainly possible to achieve.

I'd look in mine, but I don't want to pull the chassis and inflict yet one more bending on those poor ribbon cables.

If I recall, billm recommends carefully bending the ribbons so they hug the chassis. EDIT: I had it backwards. He pulls the ribbons away like yours.

Also, twist your filament heater wires together, and move them away from other stuff, crossing at 90 deg angles when necessary.

I'm not an expert like many here. That's just what I recall from working on mine a few years ago, and general recs from David Allen, who's Encore kit I'm just completing. Note the twisted green & brown filament wires, and their positioning in the Encore:
    [​IMG]

Poke around on billm's site, including reading his replies to comments. There is some info there on wire dress. You could email him, too. He's a helpful guy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

15. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Nah it's not noisy, but I thought I could do better than how it is now. Yea I've talked to Bill a few times on a couple subjects, very helpful.

I guess I'm just looking to beautify it up now :lol:

Thanks for the tips though.

16. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hey guys, I thought I would bring this up since it may have to do with my Blues Jr.

When I turn on the BYOC 5 Knob Compressor the volume on the guitar has absolutely no effect on the overall amp volume; is that normal for a compression pedal?

My other question (again) is do yall think replacing the power transformer is worth the cost ($80) if I'm not planning to switch to a different tube setup like 6V6's. What would the benefit be besides a more efficient power transformer? Is there something it would help with due to it being a better transformer than the stock one.

Here is Bill's page on the PT: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?p=1128

17. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    I doubt you'd get any sonic benefit by upgrading your power transformer, if anything you might lose some sag and tighten up the bass and make it sound less tubey.

18. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Any idea on the Compression Pedal deal? Could it have to do with being in front of my Visual Sound Buffer (stand alone)?

19. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    I'd really appreciate it if someone can give me a quick answer on the compression pedal completely disabling any volume control from the guitar's volume knobs. I never ran a compression pedal until recently, so I wasn't aware if this is supposed to happen or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.