Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

measurable neck plate differences

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndcaster, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I posted plenty of folderol today, so here I try to make amends by posting some facts:

Proline 2.53 x 2.02 x 0.825"
    GFS 2.08 x 2.51 x 0.80"

The chrome finish of the Proline is superior, if you like consistent and shiny. Whether any of this matters is doubtful. Consider it reference material, because God knows I've searched for incredibly obscure things on TDPRI -- and found them!

gsf-proline-neck-plates.jpg

DrASATele and Mat UK like this.

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I've amassed about 7 different sizes for guitar. Many shades of "gold" plenty of relic material. I happened upon a fleebay ad that an old tech was cashing out his left over supplies and parts. The screws are also something to watch for there are some pretty bad quality ones out there.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    true about the screws: can you tell by looking at them? I wish there were a way

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Not that I've come across. Given how many I've been through I wish there were, I'm highly suspect of anything Gold or Black or painted/plated in general. Often it's a necessary evil though.
    There are some guys that go to extremes and toss the ones that come with the plate and then buy stock from a reputable maker. There's a thread I can't seem to find at the moment but it had a few screw manufactures that several guys said were top notch. I know if you search Preeb threads there's some interesting stuff on vintage screws and I think even he has a particular company he likes.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Confirm you actually mean .0825" and .080"? I'm guessing you mean the thickness.

Thanks,
    Rex

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    egads, yes

thanks

7. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Some seem to believe that neck plate weight is the thing that can affect sound.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    The thicker the better IMO,and no plastic underliner either. I've got a Hendrix neck plate and besides the wonderful image engraved on it it's really well made. I'm a firm believer that the neck screws and plate need to be strong and quite snugly screwed down.
    Some older Samicks had a really stout cast neck plate, I love those.

Most stock guitars with bolt on necks that I've come across have loose, poor quality screws and flimsy neck plates. These are the only things keeping the neck in proper fitment with the body. And most certainly a tight neck pocket is a must, I've got guitars where I can lift it with out the neck screws in and due to a tight pocket the neck/body stay together. IMO that joint is critical.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sure it can, absolutely... easily revealed in any high-level acoustic lab.. BUT.. in the real world such changes fall far below the practical usability of any sonic variant a neck-plate would represent.

and without reading everything.. let me share.. I sell customized stamped neck-plates on eBay... I offer genuine OEM Fender parts... been doing so since the 90's...

Fender outsources, as every one else does, thus on any given day, a new batch may arrive significantly thicker OR thinner than the previous batch. . . all with the same part number....

and... Fender has their plates made of hardened steel. EVERYONE else that I have encountered uses simple mild steel... however the only consistently notable advantage would be, the harden steel resists bending better than the mild steel. I'll take resists bending every day...:p

Ron Kirn

perttime and DrASATele like this.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ... provided the thicknesses are equal?

11. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I've had a variety of Fender plates bend on me - most notably the F-stamped - even when I'm not putting much pressure on them. I'm not going to sing the praises of cranking the neck screws down as hard as you can, but because a thicker, harder plate won't bend, you get some torque leeway without risking body damage. I like Glendale, FWIW.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I didn't say they won't bend, i said they resist bending better than the mild steel.. and yeah, obviously a .070 thick plate will be more firm than a .060... but a .060 thick hardened one will probably resist bending better than a .070 thick one of mild steel.. I say probably because it's not something i'm interested in trying...

I don't spend my time in the shop screwing down neck plates, accurately recording the torque.. then noting the degree of deflection from planar that is a result of various torques..

I'm just saying the Fender OEM plates are harder than the OEM plates, at least the ones I have tried... you may use that info or ignore it...

Despite many suggestions to the contrary, the neck plate is not a significant factor in anything but keeping the screw heads from sinking into the wood as the boogers are tightened, or over tightened as more often the case....

rk

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Oh oh. Another tone debate.... Wow and they believe in the tooth fairy too.

14. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    No argument re: sound significance, or that Fender OEM is lesser quality than other OEM. I just like a plate that won't bend when I inevitably ham-fist a screw after re-readjusting the truss rod for the nth time. Necessary or not, not all parts are marketing hokum.

15. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Seems that your L x W X Thickness (Height) measurments are not consistently documented. Shouldn't the GFS plate measurements be 2.51 x 2.08 x 0.80"...........:rolleyes:

16. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Measurable difference but also negligible. You're not building a rocket ship. I have found neck plates with the screw holes a bit off and since I drill the neck pocket holes with a jig they got scrapped.

17. BlueCollarBoy

BlueCollarBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Eminence, Ky
    The F stamped fender neck plates are junk! I ordered one once and thought it seemed a little thin, but didn't really worry about it. It curled the corners and dented the wood. I didn't put a torque wrench on the screws, but I like em pretty snug. It is rediculously thin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.