Me, and daddy, and me and my son who is gone.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've actually thought about it, but it's kind of like guys trying to write songs about the dust bowl, hardly anyone today would be able to relate to it.

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I sure would. Great story. Would make a good book, then movie.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Fascinating story, TD.....back when they were called "hobos" rather than "homeless". That's an existence I wouldn't recommend for ANY youngster, but I'm happy you can look at it so positively. Almost like living the life of Woody Guthrie.....romantic, maybe......but insecure nonetheless. ;)

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my post was a quote from caddyshack

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

I hope to never know what's like to out live my kids & my father went too soon for my taste (age 70) but likely perfect for his taste. My father was a character and a half. A coping mechanism for what I think was a harder life than he let on. I wish he had written down some of his experiences.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

It doesn't need to be relatable to be worth writing & an enjoyable read. In fact it's likely a better read if it's not the same as my life story (which is a story I'm already familiar with).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That little bit of a couple paragraphs was engaging. It's marketable.

It will likely sell well, but even if it doesn't you can print a few hard copies to hand out to your family and friends which is a lot of fun.
    If you are gigging and selling CDs or T-shirts you could carry a few copies to peddle too.

The old days you'd have to make a print run that would cost as much as a new Les Paul and have cases of books in your garage at risk of getting wet/damaged/etc while you tried to move them. The avenues available today you can publish electronically for electronic downloads or print-on-demand so as the orders come in they print and ship. There is really no cost to publishing outside of the writing, editing, cover, and advertising.

If you can write the book, send me a pm and I can help you through the self-publish steps to get it out there -- I've published over two dozen titles.

Greggorios, G.Rotten and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Thanks for the comments and information!

9. Toto'sDad

I didn't catch it, but it was most certainly appropriate!

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

fascinating life you've had ,

I've always viewed mine as " this is my action movie, staring me , and I will wait for the end credits to roll", it sound like yours is very much like that , Its great to see you came out of the adventure alive and vibrant, kudos TD some times not so easy to do., but some times the scars run deep.

11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

I wonder how many people get to experience that freedom that comes with hard living. Not many, I'll bet. Never knowing where you'll be, or what the situation may be, the next day, let alone in the future. I think you are profoundly right about how it's a strange privilege to have been adrift (fortunately, not alone); making your way with nothing is something most people could never do. Finding adventure, humor, and enjoyment in those circumstances is a greater accomplishment, IMO, than most of what we all call success. My circumstances were different in all but the most basic respect, but like you, I look back at what others would consider "the worst of times" (and they were bad) without bad feelings anymore, and, like you, feel that it was an odd privilege to survive on little. Thanks for sharing your story. What experiences!

Greggorios likes this.
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Great pics and story. I've read your posts about your dad before and we seem to have similar taste in fathers.

Mine took me from pre-school in San Carlos California on a 3-wheel Harley Servi-car to Los Angeles in 1949. We rode freight trains from there to Alabama. I remember the best ride was in the Caboose. I was too little to remember what or where we ate or how long the trip was but it was something of an adventure. My mother caught up a year later. We headed back west in 1951 stopping in Atlanta for a stint then on to California. My dad picked up a 1927 Pierce Arrow he traded for work and it made it to Grants New Mexico before the engine went. I remember that car really well. We went on route 66 and back then as you know the roads were paved over the terrain not through it. I would stand up in the back holding the strap and would enjoy the feeling as we went up and down the desert dunes. My dad landed a job running the Yucca Rose hotel/Cafe & Greyhound bus stop in Grants. We stayed there until 56 and then on to Petaluma Calif. They finally split up for good and I didn't hear from him until 1983. He was dying and wanted to see me. I declined.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

In the early 50s life on the road wasn't like it is in the present day for the homeless. Almost anyone you ran into had a hard luck story for sure, some were adrift after the Korean war, some were like my dad products of a failed marriage. The one thing most of them had in common though was that they were trying to get to somewhere so that their chances of improving their lot were better. I don't think the homeless of today do anything but survive.

One night we ended up managing to get into a Salvation Army building during the rain down in Texas. My old man shamelessly used me as a lever to get us a bed overnight. He would point to me and say the kid is freezing, I would shiver, and wipe my nose with my sleeve right on cue! When we had some soup, got the sermon, and it was time to go to bed, I watched the guy in the next cot over from me take off his pants, then remove his legs made of a skeleton steel framework! I had never seen anything like that. He was one of the men displaced after leaving the service, but from WWII not Korea. I was pretty lucky to have survived my adventures with the old man.

Years later, I had a friend in the hospital, I went to see him, and in the next bed over, a guy was laying there with his leg cut off at about the knee. He said he was trying to hop a freight misjudged his move, then fell, and his leg went down on the track and was severed. Man, I did a lot of thinking about me hopping slow moving freights with the old man that night. Like I said, my show and tell at school was a little different. I'm pretty sure no one hardly at all believed me, and that's okay, I knew what I'd done, and where I'd been.

14. Toto'sDad

Kind of brothers from another mother right there. I too remember the highways, route 66 was just a two lane that went through every whistle stop, the southern route went right through the sand. A fuzzy memory is from a stop we made at a prison down towards Mexico in Arizona where my old man told me they used to throw guys in a hole in the ground and pour rattlesnakes on 'em. Don't know if it was real, or something he made up, but the visual caused me to ride many a nightmare.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But the missing piece seems to be - your dad’s dad.

What was he like and what did he do/not do to make your dad a free spirit/so unconventional ?

I almost always level all the blame for my dad being a rambler/a rounder / kind of an ******* :rolleyes: on him, when I know a lot of what made him him was his old man.

And that brings up all of us who’ve done our damndest at breaking that chain and maybe being a little more constant/present in our son’s lives .

Nothing against your dad , I didn’t know him - he seems to have given you fond memories of real adventures but of course, you wish you had many more years with him.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

My dad's dad, I never knew, nor did my dad ever talk about him. I did get to know a few of my dad's relatives but for the most part his side of the family remains a mystery to me to this day. I've done a lot of wrong things in my life, because of battle I had with myself trying to repeat the old man's mistakes. I knew I didn't want to go there, and made myself keep working and keeping a roof over my family's head, and seeing that they were provide for.

A couple of years ago, my younger son gave me a birthday card that said something to the effect of he understood how much it took to keep going and raising a family once he had a family of his own. He further stated that my example was something that kept him going. I have never had anyone tell me anything nicer in my life.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah buddy - that’s all you need right there !

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Fascinating story TD.
    Reminds me that things have not changed for many. I always tear up when I see and hear the Youtube version of Hobo's Lullaby as it shows photo's from the Dustbowl to kids doing it rough now.
    You have been fortunate and not so fortunate- that's life and it's what's made you the man you are.

19. Toto'sDad

It's a funny thing, I have come full circle. I worshipped my daddy when we lived in Alabama out of Rose Drive near the Alabama line. Then he took to drinking and turned off mean, his beating me got me to hating him, then as I grew older and understood the demons he fought, I softened towards him, until finally truth be known, I guess in the end I loved him. I tried for years to find where he's buried, finally locating where he's laid to rest up in Washington state. I thought to go up there, but he's been dead since sixty one, so it's doubtful much would come of it, I finally just let it go.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Those last six words show true wisdom TD. Sometimes we just have to do that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.