Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

McDonalds self-order kiosks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJ Deadhead, Jan 9, 2019.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Kiosks in McDonalds?, so it's like a faeces covered, minimum wage powered, lucky dip vending machine?. It's been many years since I set foot in a McDonalds, even then it tended to be for a McDump. I'm just not keen on their products.
    Just one more reason to avoid them to add to my personal list of grumps and gripes regarding burger joint franchises.
    Excuse now, there's someone on my cloud and I have a lawn needs shouting at.

Mid Life Crisis likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK

I have not.

I have used the outside tables before. I like to walk to the one down from my office on a nice Summer day. Once, however, the sprinkler system came on while I eating at one of the outside tables. Had to grab my food and run. :lol: That wasn't well thought out on their part.

YALCaster and LutherBurger like this.
  3. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    The kiosks are ok but the new layout of the stores sucks. No more booths. Instead uncomfortable small chairs and huge windows all around. It's like sitting in a fish bowl. People driving by on the street can look in and see no one is in the store sitting down eating. Who wants to go in an empty restaurant? I think the whole project backfired.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Just use the app but for some I think that still means touching a lot of fecal matter or worse.

Sorry on Sonic. I noticed they were the rage a few years ago and now drive by some that are closed.

Even with a fair amount of travel it might be 5x a year when I step into a McDonalds for anything but a toilet. If so it's usually coffee, maybe a cone, or one of their lighter and more modern offerings. Staying away from fast food places and restaurants in general has been a lot of how not getting overweight with age and not getting sick very often has been fairly easy.

5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    It's from the haggis, so they only reach maturity in the winter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ooh, in all seriousness The McHaggis - that's a marketing opportunity they've missed.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  6. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I don't get it, I thought that going to Mcdonalds is kinda like shopping at Walmart.

7. rcole_sooner

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    There are actually quite a few healthy fast food choices out there. Granted they are never the specials, and always cost about twice what non-healthy menu items cost.

Using the app is a great way to find and order these, as they are not on the normal menu behind the counter. And it is easier to customize the order, to drop cheese and mayo, which saves over 200 calories alone. Drop the bun to save at least another 200 calories. A 900 calories burger becomes about 500 calories. But there are lot of under 500 calorie options, like grilled chicken sammiches at Carl's Jr and Sonic, Turkey Deluxe Club at Arby's, the good ol' #8 three taco meal at Taco Bell, and really many, many more.

Ya know Walmart is another great place to grab lunch. They have some decent turkey sandwiches and chicken wraps. Plus I like to grab a container of the Mango spears to go with it. Nice for a $6 lunch or so, and maybe pick up some needed shopping while grabbing lunch. And yes, I use the self checkout lines.

BTW, Sam's club has a scan and go app, that is awesome. Scan items as you add them to your cart, pay with the app, and skip the checkout lines. Just can't buy alcohol with the app.

Walmart has a scan and go app too, but none of our area Walmarts support it yet. Once they do, I'm all over it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

9. rcole_sooner

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I don't get the dangerously part...

...but, the more folks that stay away, the shorter the lines for me.

:)

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Just a joke about how folks don't trust self-checkout, don't trust apps, don't trust Walmart, don't trust premade sandwiches, don't trust McDonalds

rcole_sooner likes this.
  11. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

They can, and will...

Dan R likes this.
  12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I need to add, the music at McD is terrible. I hate the old oldies that they play continuously. These are the bad ones: BS&T, Tommy James etc. I'm not sure if they're looking for the geezer crowd but I'm sure most kids have no idea what these songs are. I'm all for supermarket classic rock, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc but they don't play any of that at McD. Their marketing techs just don't get it.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

our closest sonic has a hard time keeping workers... often, the only part open is the drive thru (we just get drinks although my son LOVES the tots and fried jalapenos) anyway, the main kid at the drive thru is a special needs kid (which I know only because I was the only babe ruth coach that would draft him back when he played) anyway, he is AWESOME at customer service... but the last time we went through, there was a sign that said, 'we can serve any food or drink today, but we don't have any ice'... which, the best things about sonic are: Big ass styrofoam cups and crushed ice.... so, I order tots for the boy and we order a DP for him and diet DP for me... we get to the window and our kid is there and I say hi and all and we ask what happened to the ice and he says, "oh one of the GIRLS got mad last night and peed in the ice machine when she quit." he did not think it was funny. we honored that and waited to die laughing until we drove away...

Trust is a funny thing. I choose to trust because it benefits me and my overall demeanor... it would suck to lose trust... we call it the shrinking world syndrome....

rcole_sooner likes this.
  14. rcole_sooner

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Yeah, I gotta trust stuff to a large degree. I mean I wanna be smart about it, but I don't want my options to be limited. Besides it is often not the shark you see, you gotta worry about.

The peeing in the ice reminded me of this X-Files episode. :lol::lol::lol:

getbent likes this.
  15. BobRob

BobRob Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2003
    I always carry one of these.
    upload_2019-1-10_13-24-19.jpeg

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I think you'll find that self order kiosks are the result of one of big business' favourite phrases. 'The bottom line'.

17. getbent

Wait, what? hey, wait a second.... you weren't just at sea captaining a ship were you?

18. getbent

here is some touch screen action.

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Only a fool would employ me as a captain of a ship or as a captain of industry :)

20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Couple of things...

- I'm of the opinion that you should adjust your expectations based on the amount of money you're paying for something. I don't expect a First Act canoe paddle guitar from Target to perform like a vintage Les Paul, so therefore I don't expect to have a high level of satisfaction or any sort of personally enriching experience when I'm paying pocket change for a burger, fries, and a Coke. As long as what I ordered is placed in a bag and ketchup and napkins are made available, I don't care.

- ALL wages need to be adjusted for inflation, regardless of how much arbitrary value you choose to assign to a particular occupation.

- It would be nice if corporations said no to doubling their output by utilizing the latest technology just so they can keep more people on the payroll, but capitalism unfortunately doesn't work that way.

- Complaining about some new-fangled contraption you can't wrap your head around getting between you and your 89 cent cup of coffee (that used to cost 39 cents, dadgumit!) is some classic cranky old man riffage. Time waits for no one.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.