Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

McDonalds self-order kiosks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJ Deadhead, Jan 9, 2019.

1. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    So this morning I stopped into my local McDonalds after they have been closed for a few weeks for renovations. I walked up to the register and the worker said "may I take your order?" I proceed to order when she must have saw her manager or something, she nervously walked out and asked me to join her at their new order kiosk. I said "no thanks, I prefer not to have to type in my own order". She said I didn't have a choice.

I've used these things before at other McDonalds and refuse to use them...they are a mess. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes my order gets missed on their system and doesn't come. And the kicker is, when you are paying with cash, you gotta wait in line twice. Once to use the kiosk, and then again to pay at the register. Disaster.

Am I being a grumpy old man for refusing to do their work for them? Why should I have to do the job of the McDonalds clerk? Part of going out for me is to give myself a break and let someone else handle the order taking.

Dog Bite, RetroTeleRod, Wally and 7 others like this.
  2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Hate them. I walk out if that is the only choice.

They are filthy touch screens too. I know the other patrons don't wash their hands after leaving the restroom to place their order!

I have used them 3 times and failed two of those three times to enter my order correctly... the verbiage when trying to place an order for more than 1 quantity of an item is counter intuitive. I had one that didn't work processing my credit card after the hassle of my self-entry. Had to start over at the next kiosk! :mad:

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
  4. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Next thing you know, they'll expect us to make our own food too!

They already require me to get my own drink... and by that I mean find the cups by the kiosk, which were actually not stocked, so I had no drink until hassling the cash register people anyway! :mad::mad:

And why oh why isn't the McRib available any more? Why on earth would I go back in there for anything else!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Pa
    I agree 100%. When you are placing your order people that came in behind you are in front of you when you get to the counter to pay.If I go straight to the counter when I enter the cashier stands behind me at the kiosk and talks to my back, trying to get me to use the self service.Take my order give me my food, seems simple enough.

NJ Deadhead likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    those things suck, i tried a couple times, because I'm all for increased efficiancy, but....

you go up to them , spend 15 minutes figuring out how to punch in your order, and then it can't deal with it and tells you to step up to the counter for human Mc-interaction

Dog Bite, Wildcard_35 and studio1087 like this.
  7. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Instead of walking in McDonalds and hearing someone say "May I take your order"

I have to walk in and yell "You may take my order!"

:mad:

WetBandit, Omiewise65, kuvash and 2 others like this.
  8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I just use the app on my phone. Tons of discounts and specials and such when using the app too.

On the Sonic app, the drinks are 1/2 price all day every day, not just during happy hour.

Plus so nice to get there and my order be waiting for me. Ordered perfectly.

I use Sonic, Taco Bell, Subway, McDonalds and others. I have Torchy's too, but our local Torchy's has sucky service.

gwjensen, bluesky1963 and getbent like this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I don't eat at McDonalds. Problem solved :)

10. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    One more reason for me not to go to McDonald's, although I've been boycotting them anyway for close to 40 years.

OTOH, I go to both Sheetz and Wawa convenience stores and order hot food from them. They've been using the touch screen for ordering for many years. You order, take your ticket to the register to pay for it, then go back to pick up your food when they call your number. They haven't screwed up an order for me yet, and the food's much better.

Felino likes this.
  11. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    US
    I absolutely refuse to use those things. Fast food jobs are great for kids and for the people that it is the best they can do. It's better people get paid for doing something than doing nothing.

12. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I like them. They are a step above the underpaid, disinterested, and often impolite person who takes my verbal order at the counter. Using the kiosk, I only have to worry about the person in back processing the order - it removes a mistake-prone human from the chain, thereby increasing the odds that my order will be correct.

13. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    "Golden Arches" = lowest (un)common gastronomical denominator food.

14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    The cleanliness of the touch screens is a worry, although there is still an option to order and pay at the counter in any FatDonalds I’ve been into ( I rarely eat anything there but often have a coffee on my travels). The good thing is that they are in several languages, we used the touch screens in France ( yes we went to the capital of cooking and went to a McDonalds, there are a lot of them there) so we could get the menu in English and take our time over it as the small differences from the British menu confused our kids. I didn’t really eat anything there either but they have much better coffee in French McDonalds. They have beer in Spanish McDonalds,don’t know what they have in Dutch McDonalds as they wanted to charge us for the toilet so we left.

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    McDonalds might be good for compost.
    I wouldn't eat it.
    Here in PA, we have Wawa, which is OK at 2 a.m. after a gig.
    You have to do the self-order thing and I hate the lack of humanity.
    I grab a pre-made sammich and say hello to the people making the orders.

Gibson likes this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have gotten used to doing this even at Home Depot and Lowes.... it isn't the way I wish it worked... but it is a way that I can work with them and be happy about the result...

rcole_sooner likes this.
  17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    On our last 12hr drive (to the beach over xmas), Miz Diane was suffering from the effects of a bladder infection...which means we stopped at nearly every Micky D's between here and there (at least their bathrooms are usually decent). Most of the time I got stuck waiting up front while Miz Diane was doing her biz. I got a lot of queries from the staff: "Sir, when you wish to order, the Kiosk is right behind you!" However, as I watched, most of the older gen folks simply ordered as usual from the counter. I never saw anyone pushed to the Kiosks only.

I don't mind self-serve kiosks (never used the Micky D ones) at all. They're a helluva lot quicker than a human-operated register for the most part.

18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I haven't really seen them here, but they're popular in Europe. I'm pretty 'meh' on them but it's nice when you need a late night fix and don't speak French. I just know my numbers well enough to grab the bag when they shout at me :lol:

I'm usually deeply invested in whatever podcast I'm listening to in the car and prefer to stay tuned into that and just relax in the drive-thru.

19. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    There was a study recently. I forget what they were investigating, but in the process they found that every single one of the kiosks tested positive for fecal matter.

Omiewise65, aerhed, bcorig and 4 others like this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK

They've got a nice pickup area at our Lowes, Home Depot, and even Walmart, with special pickup parking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.