Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Maybe sacreligious..only neck pickup installed?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ed2000, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ed2000

ed2000 TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just wondering...has anyone ever entirely removed the bridge pup and only left the neck pup active with a tonal switching circuit?
    Would it be the same as a Hemi equipped Charger with a single barrel carb running on regular gas?

2. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    for me, yes - sacrilegious. but it *is* different! go for it!

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen a pic or two of guitars setup like that.. To me it's kind of goofy.. There was one not to long ago that had a bridge plate without a hole for the pickup.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    U.S.A
    I've been just playing my neck for a long time.

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I can't find a single good argument for having a neck pickup only ... It is still there even if you have an additional pickup, you know.:rolleyes:

7. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    Helsinki, Finland
    The same thing could be said of an Esquire and people still love them. Fender Musicmasters only have the neck pickup, btw.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    There's something to be said for the Esquire - can't find any pros with just a neck pup ... Sorry!

9. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2012
    Arizona
    Historically speaking, there have been much more taboo concepts that turned out to have great success. Go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Well Ed, there's actually a pretty famous jazz player from your town who didn't quite remove the bridge pickup, but supposedly just had it disconnected from the circuit.

11. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

12. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I've oftened wondered the same thing. I much prefer the neck pickup. Esquires have never made any sense to me. Go for it. Ed would approve.

13. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2006
    Long Island, New York
    Go for it. 8 or 9 years ago I gigged in a 3 piece blues/rock band using a partscaster Strat with just a PAF type neck pickup. It was pretty liberating...I could optimize the amp settings for that single pickup and then get a good range of sounds by varying my attack and the volume knob.

14. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Go for it, easily reversible.

15. tom2caster

tom2caster Former Member

Jun 5, 2010
    pennsylvania
    You'll get lint in the bridge pu pocket like a belly button.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

17. I think it would be righteous,

If you custom made the body with no bridge pup rout. Just use a G E Smith style half bridge. Big open area on the body, where the bridge pup was supposed to be.

Anything else, and people will pester the heck out of you. Plus, there's no easy going back - you're gonna learn to make it work or else.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    That would be like making a hamburger without the patty....it wouldn't be a burger now would it?

20. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    what is this word sacreligious?

:eek:

[​IMG]

why not just leave the bridge pickup and pick near the neck? probably 90% the same tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.