Maybe a 5f1 in a Philco radio shell?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by btgulledge, Jun 4, 2019.

1. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

I got this radio shell a while back and thinking it should be a little fender amp for the living room. I found this kit on ebay (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=223310503596) and was wondering what transformers and other components I would need. I will make a chassis out of aluminum sheet. I also want the power tube to be in the oval opening at the top of the cab.

Never did a amp from scratch but I feel this is doable. 20190604_212153.jpg 20190604_212320.jpg 20190604_212220.jpg

CoyotesGator and danlad like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a great idea! I did one using a Bell and Howell PA cabinet and a Danelectro amp chassis, but a Fender 5f1 would sure work.

3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Its definitely doable, but I'd skip that ebay kit. A 5f1 does not have a lot of parts, just buy them from whoever you source your transformers from, and if you are capable of making a chassis from scratch, just make your own turret board too. You'll be able to buy everything in that $75 kit for half that if you just buy directly from tubes and more or someone similar.

For transformers, heres classic tone's page listing (loosely) champ appropriate transformers. I'd suggest the 40-18030 OT and the 40--18027 PT. Any of the transformers listed in that link will work, but I like the 8K OT for a single ended 6v6 and the dual secondaries on that PT will allow you to get voltages closer to the tweed design values, the other power transformers they suggest will have much higher voltages with a single 6v6.

I'd also consider Weber's transformers, a lot of people knock them because they aren't made in North America, but I've used a couple of them on builds and they seem to be well made to me, so unless you are really hot and bothered about getting MIA parts they are a good option, plus you can get your small parts from them and they make some of the best speakers around.

Also, I'd suggest doing a 5f2a instead of the 5f1. Almost as simple a build and a much more usable amp with the tone control (and better sounding IMO). A 5f2a through a good 10" or 12" speaker in that vintage radio cab should sound as good as it will look!

CoyotesGator likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Nickfl likes this.
  5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

luckily it has no guts so you are good to go. otherwise, i would have said not to change it.

play music!

6. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Holic

Very cool.

What’s the ID?

7. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

Wow lots of good info there, thanks! I'll try and source my own stuff and save some money. Thanks for the link and suggestions. I have heard nothing but good about weber so I might try it out, I was even thinking about replacing my vintage 30s in a Bluesbreaker RI with some weber speakers.

Q- Is there a speaker you would recommend for the radio shell and 5f1(or 5f2a) being a large open space?

Very cool amp, but out of my price range. I built a 5w kit from ampmaker.com years ago that will accept el84, 6v6, 6l6, el34 etc and it really only sounds great with the el84.

Yeah I have a good friend that has a non-working one but 90% complete with bakelite knobs and he just cant bring himself to mod it. I wont feel bad if I have drill a hole or two.

35"t x 22"w x 10"d roughly

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.