Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

May Backing Tracks

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Ullrich - I liked the low descending lines you played in the opening a lot they were very nice, they fit perfectly.

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

3. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I agree with Ullrich, you found your groove after the 2 minute mark into it and some very nice lines played all through , nice!

4. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

5. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I definitely like your intro verse I had a hard time what to do my intro . Your set up sounds great all through the mix , a nice build up from second verse and on . I think your playing was very good , nice job!

6. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I almost spit out my coffee when I read this ..lol. Thanks Mark

Last edited: May 17, 2015

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Somehow I neglected to provide feedback for track 2. I've had a listen now and here are some comments.

May #2

• Mike - That was a fantastic track. Very nicely played. Ticks all the boxes - tremolo, dualing guitars, double stops. Excellent stuff.
    • Mark - I like you take on this track. The Paulstretch adds a different dimension. Your lead playing fits in nicely and as Mike has said is very soothing. I like that you extended the track with some very nice fingerpicking. Well done.
    • Ullrich - Very nice. I think you took a similar approach to me, in that you worked with the melody, at least in the first verse. When you branched out and did you own thing your playing was very tasteful. Some nice country licks in there as well.
    • John - Good to see you back. I liked the two guitar approach, it fit the track nicely. The clean tones were very nice. Well done.

8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

9. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Tip of the day: I had some timing problems on the "Music-in-me"-track which I corrected by cutting the guitar audio into peaces and postponed the chords where they belonged.

You succeeded. While I understand the arena thing, and like that part too, my favourite part is before that. What you played and how you sounded from 1:15, and even more from 1:50, was simply sweet. That phased (or whatever) guitar that came in at 2:40 was great, too. It was a pleasure to listen to that.

This track brought out the Jimi in us.

Thanks to everybody for listening and friendly commenting!

10. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

11. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    New toy

I am not shure if I had already mentioned it, but together with my ribbon mic I also bought an additional external preamp, cause ribbon mics are known for low output. The preamp was a Golden Age Project Pre 73 DLX. With my new Steinberg interface with Yamaha preamps I made a side-by-side-test, and that confirmed that the GAP preamp colours the signal in a nice way; the Steinberg produces a more analytic sound.

Now the preamp got a little brother, the GAP compressor. I just played a little with that, and i have to say, I am really impressed what that device can make with the guitar sound; it also appears to me that this analog device sounds better than the digital ones.

Anyhow, I will be able to record both the direct signal from the preamp and the compressed one simultaniously. If I make mistakes with the compressor, I still have the unprocessed signal.

I might also be able to compare the analog compressed signal with the digital one - during the next holidays :lol:.

12. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I'm not familiar with preamps and how they work in the signal chain on your setup but it sounds like something you're enjoying, Ullrich. :)

Track 4 is available for downloading
    https://soundcloud.com/padre-1300/hotel-california-backing-track-cover

I think this track is going to be interesting to do for myself and it's quite long to keep it listenable to the end

13. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm finding it hard to work with. I think it's meant as a stand alone piece.

14. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

15. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.

16. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Here's some feedback for track 3...

May #3

• Mark - Nice clean tones on this one Mark. Some nice jazzy lines in there too.
    • Ullrich - I liked your tone also Ullrich, those passages where it's on the verge of or just breaking up are my favourite.
    • Mike - Those chime-like notes at the start were cool. I liked how you took the song along and built up the intensity.

17. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I'm inclined to agree with you Mark, but I think I may be able to work something out. We'll see.

18. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Phil, i felt some decades younger when listening to your track. The opening is very psychedelic, reminds of Vanilla Fudge-things, and the use of phaser, auto-pan and the legendary Muff contribute to that vibe, too. You also had some nice phrases in your playing, just like ole Jimi. Good work on that.

Thank you for your comment on my track. There´s something strange going on with that track; ye more I listen to it, ye more I dislike it. I now ask myself how I could publish that; the playing is real sloppy. But, yes, the guitar sound is good; the Twisted Tele neck pickup has a stratty sound.

19. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Phil - LOL! You figured out a good way to get though the awkward feeling intro section! Nice riffage too.

20. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Thanks Mark. Yeah that intro section was a real WTF is this situation when I first heard it. I was tempted to cut it out altogether, but my 14 y/o daughter challenged me to keep it in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.