Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Max dB Fender Blues Jr and Victoria 5112

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Snowbird, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    So I just got an inexpensive dB meter because I had been wondering about the volume levels I had been playing at where the tube amps sound good (granted, I generally close the door and go into the other room - usually when the rest of the family is gone ). Well, I decided to see the max dB that two of my smaller amps could produce when maxed. My BillM modded Blues Jr put out 112 dB max (played with a humbucker-equipped guitar) and the Victoria 5112 put out 107.5. Needless to say, both of those volume levels are ridiculously loud for me in my fairly small room. Image1510108368.949904.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Stisch likes this.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Now - swap speakers and repeat. Interesting to note how the different speakers affect output and vice versa.

PhredE likes this.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    That would be interesting. In the 5112 there is an Eminence Legend and the BJr still has the stock Fender speaker (its an early 2000’s model - I think I got it in 2004).

Oh, forgot to say I was measuring the levels from about 7 feet away from the amps at a height of around 4 1/2 ft.

4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I believe the technical term for this is: "effing loud".

clintj and Stisch like this.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    Oh man, it is so incredibly loud. Unfortunately I just don’t have as many opportunities to open these amps up on a big, preferably outdoor stage.

Stisch likes this.

6. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Silver Cliff, WI
    I did this with my PA, my goal was 100db @ 100 feet. It succeeded, with headroom to spare.

I got the cops called on my from someone 5 miles away once. Good times.

thegeezer, PhredE and clintj like this.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    I know my next door neighbor can hear my tweed Bassman through two exterior walls and 50 feet of separation. I got tired of hearing his stereo when I was trying to sleep on night shift, so I dragged it upstairs to my bedroom, pointed it at his house, and cranked it all the way up.

Half hour later I powered down, put the amp away, and went back to bed. Haven't heard the stereo since.

PhredE and RLee77 like this.

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Just looking at stats for the BJ, it looks like it's speaker is a generic Legend style speaker.

I know the ceramic Legends are around 100 db, and the old alnico 12 was 97. Presuming that's what the Victoria has.

So your BJ (no doubt partly due to mods) is higher perceived volume partly due to speaker, partly more power from fixed bias EL84 vs cathode bias 6V6. It'd be interesting to think what frequency response is doing to this.

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Interesting

BTW both speakers are 100db @ 1w; no use swapping

An interesting alternative is to measure the db level when amps sounds glorious just on the verge of breakup - the sweet spot if you want; for each

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    Great idea. I’ll do that soon and report.

homesick345 likes this.

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    So, with the Blues Jr., with a humbucker (not crazy hot HB’s) equipped guitar, there is a really great clean/on the verge of breakup with the master volume dimed and the volume on just 2! It was around 106 dB. Then, with the volume on 4, 111 dB and nice breakup. Anything beyond that and it just gets more saturated and the dB meter rose to 112.

It was weird cause it seemed like it was noticeably louder with the volume on 6 than on 4, but the dB meter showed only a change of, at most, 1 dB.

PhredE likes this.

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    Western United States
    Just plugged in a tele and with the Master dimed and the volume on 2-3, it was maxing at 100 dB and had a nice clean sound. I then cranked the volume to 6 and it was pretty saturated at 106db (so loud!) but not nearly as saturated or loud as with the guitar with the HB’s.

This is probably way more info than anybody else even cares to know, but I was just wondering how loud this little amp got.

When I get some time I’ll crank my Dr Z Maz 18 and do the same thing

PhredE likes this.

13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    On the contrary, I think it's great. It's useful practical info (with specific details) that can help someone guestimate ahead of time how a particular amp (+speaker) will actually sound/work. The db meter readings are good things to know. Efficient speakers go a long way in making a modestly powered amp sound really BIG and LOUD.

Re: Too Much Info (TMI)..
    Nah, It's all good. 'The more info the better'. We can 'un-learn' anything that is superficial or not necessary! :)

This chart you may find interesting.

The main thing is, does it sound good? If so, you're good to go.

I've said it about 10 times already in the short time I've been here on TDPRI, but here goes again:

The output loudness produced by any amp is a function of the amp's power AND the speaker(s) used to reproduce or render the output. The greater the efficiency of the speaker, the more actual SPL will be rendered.

14. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2003
    Pa

Thanks for posting this. I like to crank my 5112. Plug straight in and use the volume
    control on my guitar to go from clean to mean.

It takes pedals really well too.

I had the 5112 and the Victoria deluxe at the same time. The 5112 was almost as loud
    as the Deluxe.

I kept the 5112. It sounds good with all my guitar. Humbuckers,Strat,P-90 and the gold foils in my Bobkat.

The P-90s might be my favorite. Humbuckers do sound great as well.
    Mine has the Legend as well.

I have a 4x10 cabinet with Eminence 1028k speakers in it. It is just as loud maybe a little more
    with the 4x10 cabinet.

I think it sounds best stock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.