Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Matte black Sandberg bass on Talk Bass forum - how do I do a finish like this?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Dismalhead, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Hey people, just found this on TalkBass forum. Check out this beauty. Finished in matte black. How do you do think you do a finish like this? I think it's awesome.

[​IMG]

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    That looks brown - not black.

Either way I'd suggest the right piece of open-grained wood; normal preparation; sanding sealer (to control dye or stain color); Dye or stain in a dark black or brown - which ever you want - controlling even color penetration by wiping darker-turning areas with a solvent rag; paste wood filler (grain filler) tinted with universal colorants or dye (normally at least two applications - the first with a thin viscosity, rubbed in and scraped off at an angle to the grain; the second thicker to fill remaining areas and scraped 90-degrees to the first coat); another coat of sanding sealer; dark lacquer toner if using lacquer followed by matte lacquer finish - matte wiping polyurethane or varnish if going one of those routes.

Obviously those are just the recommended sequence and system, not precise number of all coats or anything else. Those take two things;

1. Research and reading about each product and how it's applied, including equipment, environmental conditions and safety requirements

2. PRACTICE! Do the whole thin on similar scrap before starting on an actual guitar body. Learn how things work and interact, make mistakes and fix them, ask questions...go through the learning process on spare wood - not your instrument.

Good luck!

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Yeah, it seems like getting it even across the finish would be the hardest part. I'm guessing that any flaws are going to stick out glaringly. Thanks for the advice.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Exactly. That's why sanding sealer (no thinned lacquer of varnish - they do not have the correct fillers for the job) needs to be used for color control. And I really recommend several "toner" coats - they even out the color as well.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    They may have sandblasted the guitar gently to make the grain pop more and then used a thin transparent black paint sprayed lightly. Then spayed satin clear over that.

6. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Matte actually hides flaws well but it wouldn’t hide bad prep.

I have a tele done this way, it’s a nice feeling finish

7. Tuneup

Tuneup TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2019
    USA
    It looks like the wood was burnt, then a finish was applied.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.