Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Master Volume - Solid state Only

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hiker, Apr 14, 2018.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Is that like a Fender Sidekick Reverb?

I have always wanted to try one of those... I have no idea how those 3 Vol/Gain/Master knobs interact. Does the Gain knob add volume, or just clipping/distortion?

If you turn the Master all the way down and Volume all the way up, is there any sound? How about Vol all the way up and Master all the way down? Gain all the way down?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Lesson: if you're asking about a specific amp, please name the amp. Don't be coy.

LutherBurger and Lef T like this.

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    It's a Fender Sidekick Reverb 25.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Each one of those controls...volume, gain and master volume...is a gain control. Each one of them controls the amount of gain that is created in that stage and passed on to the next stage. In other words, the ‘Volume’ is the first preamp gain control, the Gain is the second preamp gain control, and the MV is the third and final gain control prior to the output section. They function the same way they do in a tube circuit. The quality of the overdrive is dependent upon the circuit. The Lab Series L5/7/9/11 circuit is the only solid state circuit I have heard that does any sound for a guitar amp that I want to hear....whether clean or overdriven. That said, for inexpensive SS Amps, the Paul Rivera-designed Sidekicks from the 1980’s are better than many other SS amps, imho.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @Wally can correct me but I suspect the easies thing is to set the Master at the level you can play at in your home. Then tweak the Volume and Gain until you find the character of overdrive you like. This may in turn require tweaking the Master up or down once you are done. But then you'll have to re-set the T/M/B and Presence. And then my might have to further tweak the Volume, Gain and Master. Oh wait, what is the point of this thread again?

Wally likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.