Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mary Kaye translucent over silver flake basecoat

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 61fury, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Will I get a white pearl? I don't have the ability to use compressors or anything like that. There's some model car paint out there that's a white pearl, cans are tiny, 3 oz. I've searched for a while but I haven't seen much else in the way of white pearl spray can options. At this point I'm just thinking of plain old white so that's an option too.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    No white pearl in the local auto parts store?

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Duplicolor has several white pearl/metallics. unfortunately they don't have an online color chart, but pretty much any auto parts store should have at least a couple of them in stock.

6. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2010
    Muskoka Ontaio Canada
    no that wont give you a pearl.

Mary Kaye is a semi opaque finish not a pearl. Mary Kaye finish tints with the color of the finish under it showing thru.
    An irridescent pearl is mixed in with the base or clear and softens the color while slightly adding color under certain light conditions.

I agree with these guys, shop around the local automitive stores like pep boys and autozone etc. Nissan and GM/Cadillac used several pearl white paints

7. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    So far I see only hard whites in auto stores, the metallics show up as tans and golds. I know the Chrysler pearl is some kind of triple coat 500 dollar option. So there's something complicated about pearl I think, but I'll keep looking. Lots of auto part stores.

8. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Another option is seeing if a local auto body shop would paint it for me. Anyone have any experience with that?

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'd like to hear about that, too. I have a guitar that I painted with acrylic auto lacquer, and frankly it's not a very tough finish, so I'm considering having it "candy coated" some day....

10. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    Some of the partscasters I made back in the 80s were painted in a local body shop. Cost about $100 back then, I think. Worked out great -- solid colors, pearl and iridescent finishes, whatever...

But the guy that painted them for us was really talented at painting cars. He also had a little experience with guitars. Not all auto body painters are created equally. So my advice is to choose wisely if you go that route.

11. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Duplicolor Clear Effects over any white will give you a pearl white. I played with a can awhile back and it works great. Not my cup-o-tea. I might be able to post a pic tomorrow.

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, please post some pics.

13. justin72deluxe

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, been a bit busy. I'll probably have to wait until this weekend. I didn't find that scrap piece. I'll have to do another.

14. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    That Duplicolor Clear Effects looks more multi color glittery than "pearl" to me, at least the crappy lid color is. Pearl has a shimmer plain white doesn't. I bought some Duplicolor Volkswagen "Candy White" I think it's just "white", no idea of why they call it candy, I mean candy isn't white, is it? I might return it, but then plain old white is what I'm settling on lately.
    I'd love to see some real world pics of the Clear effects when you get the chance, thanks.

15. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    OK, I'm wrong again, just looked at our pearl Millenia in the sunlight, it does have color sparkles. Here's this Yamaha pearl again, at least I assume it's pearl. No telling without the right light. Then I realized I can google search on here for Duplicolor Clear Effects.
    Either way, I like the sparkles, just might try the Clear Effects

Attached Files:

16. justin72deluxe

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The clear effects does have a glittery look on darker colors. Even red came out glittery looking, but for whatever reason when put over white it was definitely pearly.
    Sorry I didn't get around to posting a pic. I've been so busy with work. I might shoot a test tonight if I find the time and post the pic.

17. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    www.paintwithpearl.com. These guys sell flakes and pearls that are excellent. Mix it in a Preval with some Deft and you are good to go. You can even shoot their flakes through a Preval if you thin it enough and take off the plastic screen on the Preval straw tip. Duplicolor is good stuff and easy to use, but their stuff is more of a metalic than a true pearl.

18. justin72deluxe

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Okay, a real quick test shot. And I mean real quick shot on a test body I had laying around. Don't judge.
    Anyway, if you can tell from a crummy cell pic. You can see the Pearl ever so slightly in the pic. It is much more noticeable in person.

ForumRunner_20130514_182439.jpg

19. justin72deluxe

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Using a preval would be my choice, but if going for cheap, duplicolor is the way to go. BTW, the pic doesn't really show Pearl. Its more sparkle, but in person it's pearl trust me. I've done real Pearl and flake paint jobs and it's Pearl without a doubt. Even when you buy automotive Pearl, a lot of times, depending on the type it looks a lot like flake before it's laid over a basecoat.

20. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    I'd consider Prevals, they're cheap enough but on the one video I saw on here it didn't seem to spray all that evenly. At least your pic doesn't look gaudy, subtle is better. I'm going to get a can, thank you for your input.

21. justin72deluxe

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    No problem. I think you'll be happy. The preval takes a little getting used to. I really only use them for small flake instead of putting flake through my gun. Prevals are cheap, but the Pearl isn't super cheap. For what you're going for, I think the duplicolor will be your best bet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.