Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mary Kay White/Blonde

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Colors, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    I've got a partscaster build going. I initially used a medium amber dye and true oil to finish the body... the one pictured in my avatar. I decided it was boring. I want to do a Mary Kay 'ish finish.
    Read Ron Kirn's bit about Nitro and Sherwin Williams again and went to my local SW Chemical place. They told me no go on that stuff anymore, they've got something close with Acrylic in it to keep it from cracking. Fine, I guess. So I asked about pigment, "we have that, but we won't sell it to the customer" fantastic. So I thought, well I guess I'll just order a can from Reranch. Nope again. Either they're out or they don't do it anymore, anyway can't buy it. Saw a UK place that won't ship it to the US so that was also not an option.

Can somebody give me a source to get translucent white nitrocellulose? Or a source on the correct white pigment to mix my own? Rattle can or not, I don't care.

2. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    There are a number of online sources for white tint, such as this one from Woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/mixol-tint-oxide-white-20-ml

Don't overlook Mohawk for the lacquer. Even if you can't find a local distributor, you can order the full line of Mohawk and Behlen lacquers directly from the Mohawk website.

Mr Green Genes and Colors like this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    One of my favourite finishes!

Mr Green Genes and brookdalebill like this.

4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    ^ it is my favorite finish.

Colors likes this.

5. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Thank you

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Couldn't one just take some white lacquer and water it down with cLear lacquer?

7. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I'm certain that would work just fine, but you'd wind up buying a gallon of white nitro to use probably a relatively small amount. I've personally wondered what the appropriate mixture between white and clear would be to reach the right translucency for Mary Kaye white.

On the other hand, for the amount of lacquer required to finish a single guitar, that $5.99 bottle of Mixol and your regular clear is probably the most cost effective way to go.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Colors likes this.

8. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    This is a semi-opaque finish that will allow the grain to show through.

Colors, Flakey and RodeoTex like this.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Wow:eek: Reranch won't sell the Mary Kaye color anymore :confused::mad:?

I just bought some Mowhawk Sail Cloth color for a L.P. T.V white build I'm doing.
    This product line will work in the same way. It has pigment in the lacquer which is different than dye in the lacquer.

Unfortunately they use the word toner for both dyed and pigmented lacquer so it can get confusing which product line to look at for your needs. You want to use the Tone Finish Toners line for pigmented lacquers.

In one of Buckocaster's thread he used Mowhawk's Tone Finish Tone Champagne for a build and it nailed a new Mary Kaye Finish.

BTW Mr. Green Genes that's a really good price for a rattle can!

In my experience doing an M.K. finish you only need about a half rattle can to do a body.

Colors likes this.

10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england

11. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    +1 on the mixol universal pigments

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.