Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Marty Stuart At Largo In Los Angeles Last Night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by El Duderino, May 19, 2017.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    WOW is all I can say. He and the boy's were on fire last night and the wife & I were center 2nd row. I've never seen him live but am a recent convert after much YouTube watching. I don't qualify as a hard core country fan but I'm a hard core Marty fan now! The new "Way Out West" CD is beyond great.

The LA crowd went crazy for them and I think he was really happy with the response. I've seen a lot of people in my day but this was something else. Kenny his guitar player twanged with the best of them but when Marty lights up Clarence well.... Anyway i'm rambling but if you get a chance see this band. You will be happy you did. Twang on my fellow Tele brothers & sisters

Chicago Matt, Dan R, ndcaster and 4 others like this.
  2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    I've been lucky enough to see them three times. They're the best thing going if you ask me. So good. Showmanship, skill, chemistry, fun, and cool guitars! First time I saw them was in Flagstaff, in a smaller room, and Marty pulled out his '52 Esquire. It was WOW good.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I have to agree that the sounds that come out of Clarence are almost like it's a whole 'nuther thing than just a guitar...
    I think we owe something big to Clarence and Gene...and then to Marty for keeping the spirit alive and well within that guitar.

Glad you had fun!

Chicago Matt, Dan R and tonytrout like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    He's here in Boise tomorrow night, but at $110/seat, I don't think so. I didn't pay much more than that for VIP seating for Joe Walsh and only half that for VIP seating for Cheech & Chong with War.

6. garryg99

garryg99 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Looks like that one got cancelled anyway.

7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    ITA 1,000,000%! Marty and the boys are beyond awesome although, as I've stated lsewhere, I don't like the way he does the traditional M&Gs now. It lessens a fan's chance of getting to meet & get an autograph, IMO.

Still, the new CD is absolutely fantastic and a couple of songs do have that Clarence-era Byrds feel to them ("Wait For The Morning" & possibly, "Whole Lotta Highway With A Million Miles To Go").

Chicago Matt and william tele like this.
  8. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I'm going to see them on Monday night. I can't wait. Glad you had fun!

Dan R and william tele like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Television doesn't do Marty and Clarence justice. When you see, and hear Marty play that thing live, it's just a melding of man and machine into one fabulous unit! Whatever it cost to see that alone it's worth the price of the evening.

Chip, Dan R, SnidelyWhiplash and 2 others like this.
  10. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    I've got two free tickets for the Seattle show. I've known Chris Scruggs all his life and he's playing bass on the tour.

S Mac

P Thought likes this.
  11. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2008
    eastern side of the Pacific
    We've been told that Marty canceled his show in Boise and we'll receive a refund. Interesting he plays LA on Thursday and cancels for tonight. I thinks we learned this on Tues or Weds.

12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I saw Marty and the guys two weeks ago in a really small venue in Orlando (just a bar, really)- amazing show just like you've all said. And for $35 to be two feet away from Marty and Clarence, it couldn't be beat! Too bad about Boise, though.:(

Dan R likes this.
  13. El Duderino

El Duderino TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Ya I could not believe the tickets were only 40.00 and were talking a nice area of LA right next to Beverly Hills! The place only held around 200 people and the crowd was ready to rip the seats out by the end! He's the last of the story telling, honky tonk awesome players with true showmanship and the history to back it up. The band is really a big part of the overall coolness and what is nice is he gives constant shout outs about the boy's plus gives them a chance to step out and sing and play solos. He's probably the best guy to work for if you were ever given the chance. I can't recommend the new CD "Way Out West" enough. Lot's of great songs and guitar playing.

Chicago Matt and Chip like this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

From everything I've heard and seen about Mr. Stuart, I'd guess that he found out about the exorbitant ticket prices and cancelled. Marty's mission--I think it's fair to call it that--has been to bring country music to the country, and to everyone, not just the ones who are wealthy enough to buy $100 tickets. I am sure that Boise price was not high because of the band.

P.S. Were those $110 tickets direct from the venue, or through a ticket "service"? I try to always buy straight from the venue; I hate scalpers.

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Those prices were from the Knitting Factory's web site. Venue price general seating. About twice what most acts are.

16. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    My price was about $40.00 at the Charleston Music Hall. BTW, the Charleston Music Hall is really great, not a bad seat in the house. The sound is phenomenal. I was only about 20 feet from the stage. What a night!

I am happy to see so much interest in Marty Stuart. I think he has hit his prime with the new record. The OP has it right. Marty and the boys are smokin' hot now. I am so glad I caught the show.

Paul in Colorado has it right too. To hear Marty play Clarence live is an experience that must be witnessed first hand. I was very impressed with Marty's mando playing as well. Marty knows how to entertain an audience. I was a luke warm fan, but not anymore.

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM
  17. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    I can't believe they've been together for 15 years, on account of how fresh and how tight everything they put out is. They're honest-t-goodness professionals, and they only seem to be getting better with time, as hard as that seems to imagine, considering how good they were from the get-go.

And for my money, Kenny Vaughan is the best guitarist/sideman on planet earth.

Dan R and P Thought like this.
  18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Yessir, that's true, and I was just thinking the other day that, while I don't know very much about drumming, Harry Stinson's got to be about the most perfect drummer a band could have, and he's a great singer, too, leads and harmonies alike.

Dan R likes this.
  19. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I have to comment on your thoughts, Downshift. These guys are so smooth and effortless in their performance. Chris Scruggs is the coolest bassman you've ever seen. He hits the E string with his thumb sometimes, and it is so fluid. All the musicians are on their mark, but Chris has a groove going on. Kenny is on fire when he needs to be, one of the great tele pickers to be sure. Harry is a very good singer, and solid drummer. The Fabulous Superlatives are just that.

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    macatt likes this.
  20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.