Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Martin DM Dread or Yahama LL16

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LondonLefty, Apr 15, 2018.

1. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    Looking for a second acoustic to compliment Martin D15.
    The Yammy is solid spruce top and solid rosewood, Martin DM dread is solid spruce and I think solid mahogany.
    Both have pickups. Yammy £450 Martin £500.
    I haven’t played either, which I know is a no no, but would welcome people’s thoughts and experience of these dreads.
    Many thanks

2. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    You mean LL6 surely the LL16 is nearer to 800 quid !

3. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    It’s an LL16, so you’ve probably answered my question!

4. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    How old is the Yamaha? They went through a redesign a few years ago, adding a torrified top, and revoiced the whole line.

I have a few years old (pre-redesign) LL16, and it was my first nice acoustic. The build quality is very good, the guitar is very solidly constructed with some heft to it, and it's one of those guitars you feel rumble against you when you play open chords like E and G. They also benefit from a nice bone saddle IMO. Helps the tone and projection.

The newer ones are very well loved, and regarded as even better than mine.

6. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    The Yammy has been gigged. 5 years old. The Martin is 20 years old.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    That's just barely the older series then. They did that somewhere around the beginning of 2014 or late 2013.

That's a tough call for me. You've got my thoughts on the Yamaha; I've loved mine. Martins can be very nice too.

One last difference I can see is the tops. Yamaha used less stiff Engelmann spruce for the L series then, and even the big bodied ones may not have the sheer power and projection of a good Martin dreadnought. The top runs out of headroom and compresses if you really pick or strum hard. I know my OM sized Guild can overpower it. If you intend on playing hard and loud, like in bluegrass groups, the Martin would be a better choice. The Yamaha is a very responsive guitar to a fingerstyle player, and I've set mine up as such.

LondonLefty likes this.

8. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    I’ve got big & boomy bottom end with the Martin D15, so may go for the spruce & rosewood Yammy. Thanks for advice.

9. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    I had a DM and was unimpressed. It is solid top with lami back and sides. I would get the Yami as their all soilid guitars sound really nice.

LondonLefty likes this.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I am a big Martin player and fan but.....You already own a beautiful deep sounding Martin dread. My D-15 is 22 years old; I'm very familiar with them. Adding another Martin dread that happens to be partially laminated with most likely disappoint you after some time.

The Yammi (another brand that I love) is a dread but it has solid rosewood back and sides and it's voice will be different regardless as it's not another Martin.

Solid wood is always desirable and the Yamaha will sound different. Mix it up. Spread the love. get the Yamaha.

LondonLefty, elihu and JL_LI like this.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I got a Yamaha LL11e seventeen years ago and have been really pleased with it. They seem to go for the £5-600 mark, so £450 for the LL16 looks like a really good deal if it is in good nick. IF I needed an acoustic I would certainly be giving it a good look.

LondonLefty likes this.

12. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    Studio1087 very sound advice sir, definitely leaning to the Yammy.
    I noticed you live near Milwaukee. Lived for a year in Waukesha when I was 10 in 1976!

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I have one of those Martin DMs from their original Road Series line. Wife got it for me for my 30th b-day in 1997. I like it a lot, still. Where it sits in the sonic spectrum just clicks with me. Loud enough, but not too tinny or boomy sounding.

14. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

Just picked up a brand new LL16 today still in honeymoon faze but loving it so far. Right out of the box it sounded good but the more I play it the better it sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.