Martin 000-18e retro....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jimclarke100, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone gotten one of these? - What do you think?

On Friday, I was dragged kicking and screaming by my daughter to Guitar Guitar in Epsom. After a brief look round the electrics, we would up in their acoustic room. I’ve been hankering for a quality acoustic for a while, and have zeroed in on the 000-18. They had a 000-18e retro model, that I picked to noodle on. It was just so easy to play, a gorgeous balanced tone and sang beautifully both acoustically and plugged in.

An hour and a half later with my jaw aching from the stupid grin on my face, the sales guy came in and told me that in effect I could have walked out with the guitar on a zero percent deal without paying a penny on the day. One huge effort of self control later, I managed to not sign my life away, but have reserved the guitar pending getting finances and the boss in order. To give an idea how much I like this guitar, my Rickenbacker that at one point I would never have sold is up for sale to make space...

Route67 likes this.
  2. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I got one last year, I love it. The guitar is excellent in both playability and quality; very responsive adn even tone. I love it. Although I believe Martin totally overthought the electronics and ended up with just "OK" (keep in mind, they developed two Retro electronics packages, and the 000-18 doesn't have the top tier setup), it works well and ain't a deal breaker at all. I've played mine out, sounds good!

I found my perfect acoustic player, frankly. I discovered I'm a mahogany guy, and not a rosewood guy. I love mine, she is my #1. Go get'er, Jimclarke!

Route67, Jimclarke100 and Paul G. like this.
  3. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I’m not sure if the retro e has the same specs but I have a 2018 000-18 Standard (no electronics). It has 1/4” scalloped bracing, nickel open gear tuners and 1 & 3/4” nut width; these changes came about sometime in late 2014 following on the highly successful redesigned D-18 of 2012.

I believe we have entered a new golden age from this company with designs following pre-war specifications with one important caveat: these are lightly built, delicate instruments prone to neck resets if not hydrated and stored properly. Gone are the days (for now) of unlimited lifetime warranties offered in conjunction with slightly overbuilt instruments.

The thin Sitka spruce top provides lush overtones with focus all perfectly reigned in; the classic OM/000 Martin body size provides concentrated punch on demand that dreadnoughts just can’t provide.

Martin guitar production has been dominated over the last few decades by demands for more and more bass, volume and lush overtones via their dreadnoughts but putting all of those attributes aside (and their tonal imbalance), the 000-18 is the sleeper Holy Grail Martin for all round fingerpicking and home use.

Hope you bring it home!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

If you haven't been there already, the UMGF (unofficial martin guitar forum) will have discussions and reviews. The D28 Lounge would be the place, you might have to page down for the 000-18e.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Those specs are the same. I didn’t know about the redesigns. My Retro is just full of that punch you describe, and just glows note to note.

Route67 likes this.
  6. Jimclarke100

I guess my technique is going to have to get a bit more refined. Currently I do tend to play quite hard when strumming, and from when I was playing it, the 000-18 really doesn’t need to be pushed that hard to project.

Hydration here in the UK isn’t usually that much of an issue - we’ll occasionally get dry spells, but even then the humidity doesn’t really drop off the bottom of the scale...

The boss is relatively ok provided her one in one out rule is maintained, though she did raise an eyebrow at the price. Guitar is reserved till mid May. Rick is up for sale and if it doesn’t sell, it’ll go for part exchange....

7. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

I bought a new model year 2018 000-18 Standard during the last year. It is (was) a marvelous guitar in every aspect and more specifically tone. Martin is making great acoustics and I loved ALL BUT ONE of the changes that they made to their 'standard' line. I did end up selling the guitar (for exactly what i'd paid for it new) because I don't get along well with the neck and nut width. I tried and tried to get along with it because I really liked the guitar....but in the end I had an expensive case sitting in my office while I continued to play on my Guilds. If you get along with the ergonomics of the neck and like the guitar....I suspect that is a guitar that you will enjoy for your entire life time and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I will say that if you are into fingerstyle...the latest changes may suit you perfectly given the newer string spacing. YMMV

Route67 likes this.
  8. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I recently sold mine due to the same requirement of a more refined touch to sound it’s best; in the meantime I have a new 000-15m (a second one) that’s taking up most of my spare time - it’s often difficult to put down once I pick it up. The 15 produces stronger fundamentals with less overtones (for my style of practice the 18 was almost distractingly rich).

9. Jimclarke100

Well, I sold off my Rickenbacker (sobs) and went for the Martin ... so it’s NGD I guess.

To start with I’ve gone back to a thinner pick - I have been using hard 1.2mm picks of late, I’ve gone back to the thinner flexible grey Jim Dunlop picks which softens up the attack.

Guitar sounds glorious either finger style or with the pick. Loving it....

Route67 and Stubee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.