Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall Origin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SaintSilas, Oct 14, 2018.

1. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

I'm interested in the the Origin 50 head. Anyone ever play these heads of any wattage..? Never played a non-UK made Marshall.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have played all of the lineup through a variety of cabs, or with their internal speakers. Good pedal platforms. Versatile. Stale overdrive with a tele, if any at all. Tough to get them to break up even with the boost on.

3. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Thanks. So an overdrive is a must. Price point has me interested.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    A Lovepedal JTM would be a good choice with one of these amps. They're loud as hell, and compact. Only issue is average build quality (they aren't built like a JCM800), and the basic clean tone platform for me. I prefer amp overdrive.

I'd recommended looking into other options at the price point besides just a new Marshall. Perhaps an Orange or Vox? Do you need 50 watts? (coming from a guy who owns amps 2 watts to 485 watts).

5. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Not necessarily. I have an Vox Ac10, Princeton, and a 60 Watt Jcm 2000. I have heard the 50 water sounded better than the 20 and does have attenuation.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    They are tempting but I slap myself when I think of buying one. Build or buy a hand wired plexi clone with a few mods instead and have a amp for life. The cost is a little more but in the long run you would be better off imo.

Bluey and SaintSilas like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Only 5 responses to get to the hand-wired bias. Impressive.

FWIW I did a extensive A/B of the Origin 50 combo with the latest HRD. Went in expecting the Marshall to win by a mile and for me the HRD won by a mile. The A/B ended up taking so long because I refused to believe what my ears and hands were telling me.

The Marshall is just kinda thin, bright and lacking in all balls, IMO. "Stale" is a good term for it, actually. Definitely a pedal platform as @bparnell57 notes. A that point, for me, what is the point of the amp? I can get a JC40 as a pedal platform for FAR less.

The HRD is more versatile and just sounds way better for me. I don't need pedals to make it sound good (I'm not anti-pedal at all, but I have to love what my amp gives me as a starting point.)

YMMV.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I don't know, been playing the 20c for a while now, gigged it, played around with different pedals, so far it's impressive as hell. A little ratty at the half-watt setting but it's so useful, who cares? Really smooths out at half-power and full-power. Gets all the grind I need or use without pedals, though I'm not a rock guy, more of a blues player. Set the volume way up there, use the guitar tone & volume to manipulate dirt & brightness, works like a charm for me.

The 50 watt is too loud at living room levels, which is half the charm of the 20 -- a great next-to-the-TV amp that scales to gig volumes. If you can live without that feature, then go straight to the Orange Rockerverb 50 Mark III, which is the ne plus ultra 50 watt 2xEL34 tonal playground.

SaintSilas and Axis29 like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    handwired jmp50 clone with tarinwreck 3 MV..the amp for life for $650..1 watt to playing stadiums lol plexi.jpg plexiguts.jpg

SaintSilas, craigh9 and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Cool, I have a similar Ceriatone 68 50w plexi clone.
    They keep coming up with new, cheaper to make versions of the same old amps that involve some kind of a compromise. Once the warranties run out they will also cost you a lot more to keep going from then on.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    bftfender likes this.
  11. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    cool, they really cover everything right up to modern heavier music..best blues and rock tone for days..BUT you can not hide sloppy playing behind these guys that's for sure.. !! it will really bring out the character of your guitar,,all that simple cicrcuit hand wired goodness

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    mine is weber kit, hoffman board and trainwreck 3 master...very usable amp at any volume

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    That's true. If playing dimed and sloppy they will hear it across town.:)

bftfender likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I bought mine used in mint condition. Just had a fresh set of mullards put in and not a mark on it when it arrived. I had been looking into ordering one direct and spotted this one on ebay willing to ship from 7 hours away. PPMV fx loop. switchable 25/50watts. Push pull treble cap on volume 1. Everything I was looking at ordering. Phone is useless for pics in darker settings. The cab's loaded with 2 v30's on the bottom, 2 greenbacks on top.

20181016_010032.jpg 20181016_010135.jpg

bftfender and tce63 like this.
  15. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    that is a great speaker combination in that 4x12 cab ! you are in tone heaven with that rig !! I have a 1960bv loaded with the older gt75's(sound more like the 65's in a way vs modern ones) and vintage 30's in X pattern...when we jamming together ?? those 2 rigs would sound incredible in a band setting

Chunkocaster and bparnell57 like this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    There might be some better options, but I am with KC. I bought my 20C two weeks ago and love it. I've played it in my big practice space, my living room and I've gigged it with my band in a jam situation. The 20 combo is so easy to carry in and just rock out.

I used the 3 and 20 watt settings on stage and was not disappointed at all! I had plenty of drive, good classic rock levels of overdrive. It sounded like a Marshall to me. With the Tilt to the left, it was very JTM45 sounding, Tilt to the right, Superlead kinda bright, biting tone. Really, it sounded like all of the overdriven Marshall tone I grew up listening to!

The first Origin I tried was the 50 Combo. I ran it on the 5 watt setting to start and the second I plugged it in, I knew it was a Marshall and I loved it. Coming from playing a HP tweed Twin and a tweed Bassman as my main gigging amps, I wasn't expecting whisper quiet full on break up. But, I get a lot of overdive and breakup at lower volumes than my 45 and 80 watt big guns.

No, it's not hand-wired. No, it's not made in the UK. Dunno how long it will last, or how hard I can abuse it. But, I have a feeling it'll last me a while, I don't usually abuse my stuff.

I have contemplated making my own 18 Watt clone or a JTM45. But. I would not get the same power scaling that Marshall seems to have successfully implemented with the Origin series amps. So, I can go back to thinking a bit another low power Tweed with vibrato.

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Did you try adjusting the Tilt control?. It pans between the bright setting and the normal setting, like bridging the inputs on an old Marshall. If you had it set to one side or the other, you might have had it on the brighter sound, which will sound thin at lower levels.
    Al

SaintSilas likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Yep, there's no guessing or surprises with either of the rigs. It's the Marshall sound. I can imagine how awesome they would sound together. :)
    My cab had gt75's with v30's in it before and sounded great. I only changed the 75's out for greenbacks a year ago after another late night ebay session. A retired guy that used to own a amp company had them in storage for around 10 years before throwing them on ebay with a bunch of other NOS speakers. Brand new Uk made greenbacks in unopened boxes for close to half the price of Chinese greenbacks. He wasn't aware they stopped making them in the UK and said Celestion and others used to send him free speakers to test with his amp builds. I rarely get to crank it up it these days.

bftfender and tce63 like this.
  19. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2009
    Maryland
    bftfender likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    In case anyone cares, I should probably offer a correction. There must have been something wrong with the first Origin 50 I tried.

I plugged into a different one at same shop a couple weeks ago when checking out a guitar and was blown away by the difference. Full, loud, complex. Did I say loud? Very versatile with the gain boost, 25 and 50w settings, different volume and master settings, and tilt control.

I didn't get the guitar, but the Origin 50 combo has become my main live amp since . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.