Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall Origin series.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ironwolf, Mar 9, 2018.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Did this quickie video earlier today. Was more to show my new LP, but amp wise it’s an origin 20C. Only effect is a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb in the loop.

2. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I'm thinking for my purposes the 50w head would be more useful. I gig with my amp on the loud side (years of playing live has taken its toll on my hearing) and I like to be able to get (semi) clean tones on stage. The fact you can switch them between 50-10-1 watt(s) makes them cover about any size place I'd want to play. I'm really liking what I see and hear about the Origins. The only thing I would want different is the rectifier, I wish it had either the ability to switch between SS and tube or just a good tube rectifier. I can live with a SS rec but I do prefer the sag of the tube rec. I wouldn't mind being able to use 5881s or kt66 output tubes but kt77s or old style "big bottle" 6ca7s based the old Sylvanias that JJ makes now would get close enough.

3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, the 50W Head is the best amp of all of them. I went with the 20C because I needed something small and lightweight that could serve as a grab and go for small stage gigs, jam sessions, practice, etc. but would still feel like a real tube amp. The 20C nailed that. And is a very good amp in its own right. Especially after I put in a 10” greenback.

If I had been going for best pure tone gigging amp, the 50 head and a top end greenback loaded cab would have been the choice. Probably a 2X12.

4. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    Nice video dude...I really want that Wampler Faux Spring Reverb more than the Marshall...:)

fjrabon likes this.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    It’s awesome. Does exactly what I want out of a Reverb pedal, no more and no less. The tone knob is a game changer. I find most reverb pedals waaaaay too bright. I crank that thing all the way counter clockwise and it’s warm, thick reverby goodness.

I also like that it’s set it and forget it, so I can just patch it into the loop with a couple of short cables and put it behind the amp and then activate it with the footswitch’s loop switch. No extra space on the pedal board eaten up.

cincyguitarplay likes this.

6. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    Unfortunately...none of my amps have effect loops..they are all old vintage amps...so maybe save my money for a Origin...:)

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I’ve read some issues at TGP related to the head’s output jacks that concerns me on a personal level.

Apparently with the early runs, the two 8 ohm jacks weren’t wired correctly so that two 16ohm cabinets could be used. Marshall has corrected this with the newer production, but people seem to still be getting the old ones from the big retailers. For some, it wouldn’t be an issue, but I happen to run that cabinet configuration with my Orange DT and would do the same with this. Waiting and seeing at this point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.