Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall Origin series.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ironwolf, Mar 9, 2018.

1. jgordito

jgordito TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Utah
    Just got word my 50c shipped today from CME

bftfender likes this.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have the 50 watt head on order. $649.

bftfender and Whatizitman like this.

3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    To save weight. If you’re lugging a 4x12 it would save 20 pounds and a lot of size to pull the chassis, which takes 5 mins.

I wouldn’t do that every week, but if you know you’re taking on a gig that needs a 4x12 you could put it in the head box for several months.

Whatizitman likes this.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    True. The DSL is a little top heavy sitting on top of my cab. The cab weighs considerably less.

5. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, the chassis looks like it was designed for a head, but for the combo the faceplate is just upside down. The good thing is it may be easy to fit a 12” speaker in the 20c because of this. No tubes hanging down in the way.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Yeah - how much room is in there ? 12” speaker could only be good

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It's running class AB1 pushpull but with low B+ of about 270 volts (vs 450ish for a 45/50 watt Marshall) and cathode bias. That means within reason you can insert tubes without having to rebias.

Cathode bias is self-limiting to a large degree, you can't quite run as much voltage. In the case of these amps, it means they can use one Greenback in my Mini Jubilee combo which is a great match. It's 1/4 of a Plexi but sounds way bigger. You can pull great JCM tones you'd never get from a EL84 amp like a 1974 or 2061 even though they sound great in their own right. On the low-wattage setting, they go triode rather than single tube, and as a result don't really lose tone, and not that much volume. Tons of bass. You can run bass on '10' if you want, with no farting.

That means tube life should be good although I killed a set of EL34s (with a lot of practice and gigging) in 12 months. It may also have been using a laydown stand which leads to......

The good thing is current Shuguang EL34Bs which are rebranded as Tung Sol, PSVane, Ruby and others run fine in them. Get a matched set, they sound fine.

The late and unlamented JTM60 and JCM600s had horizontal tubes and EL34s don't like it as I discovered. It causes the grid (which runs plenty of current) to sag and contact the plate with not good results.

People who converted them to vertical tube mount report they are much better.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    bftfender likes this.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Was notified today that my Origin 50H has shipped. Should have it by this time next week at the latest.

bftfender likes this.

9. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Awesome Ironwolf! I look forward to your full report

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    cant wait to hear your review !!

11. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Man these things are sooooo good with a Tele. I brought a 335 and my Tele out the other night and ended up never actually using the 335. I used the Tele and the bridge pickup the whole night; only used the middle position a couple of times for some rhythm stuff. No dirt pedals, just the amp’s built in boost, a tuner and a Wampler Faux Tape Echo. And wide usage of the tone and volume controls.

This amp is kind of making me want to convert my 50s classic lacquer Tele into an Esquire. (Don’t worry I have another Tele).

privatesalt and bftfender like this.

12. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Got mine today.
    Only played a little yet, but sounds really good to med

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I've been curious about the 50w but a 20w with el34s has me intrigued now. I'm not a el84 guy, I prefer octal tubes. I had a Blackstar 20w with el34s that sounded pretty darn good. I'd like to have a 20w amp that sounds like a plexi. 1974x sound good but it's just not my sound. If the 20 sounds similar to a JMP or JTM that would be great for me. How close does the 20 come to the 1987x or JTM45 tone wise?

14. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    It doesn’t really sound like any particular plexi, it’s more “plexi era” sounding.

15. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I’m not really concerned about exact copies of any particular amp, more of early jtm/jmp “flavored” tone.
    I’m still thinking of picking up a Haze 15 someday, it seems some people don’t care for them but when they were first sold I played through one at Guitar Center and was impressed personally. I liked the clean channel with those 6V6s a lot. It sounded like a old school Marshall. I wasn’t really interested in the high gain channel and digital effects. I want to use one like a mini jtm45. That’s how I thought the Origin 20 might really shine too with the el34s.

Ash Telecaster likes this.

16. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Personally I thought the Haze was a great amp. I dont think it ever got the recognition it deserved. I was never a fan of the DSL though so maybe Im just unusual in my amp tastes. I am really looking forward to hearing the Origin.

17. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    for what its worth i have a jmp50 and the new DSL can cop its tone and then go jcm800---900---and so on all without a pedal

18. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I liked the older JMC 2000 100w DSLs, at least the clean side. I wasn’t impressed with the dsl15 head personally. Then again I just played through one at the store. I agree the haze were underrated, the 15 and 40 both sound good to me.

19. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Optimized-DSLconv2.jpg made the 40cr into a head,,tryingi not like it,,but it just took over....and i have have some very good marshalls..it basically covers em all but needs the cabs to open it up..iplay at home dime it on 20 watts..in studio and live the 40 watts dimed it right where i need to be..natural Marshall from natural breakup to crunch to modern whatever..Marshall=cook the el34's..and everyone i ever owned does exactly what has been testified about

20. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I’ve been gigging with a tweed Bassman copy I built and put in a 2x12 cab. It’s very close to a Bluesbreaker Marshall (especially with the nfb switch set to “Marshall” negative feedback) and it’s about the best sounding amp I’ve ever used. A lot of amps do good overdrive but that early marshall clean to semi clean is really great. That’s what I’m thinking the origin series might have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.