Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall Origin series.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ironwolf, Mar 9, 2018.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    By Klone I was referring to a Klon Centaur type pedal (mine specifically is a Wampler Tumnus).

tce63 and bftfender like this.

2. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks for the review, great

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    $580 out the door for the 20C ?

Hmm - what was the sticker ?

I was prepared to pay $650 or so.

I like $580 a lot more...

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    If looking for a small amp... is there some reason to pick an Origin 5 over a second hand Class 5?
    Assuming you can live without the switchable boost and effects loop, of course.

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Maybe MF or GC will apply discounts to it, but you generally have to call for an item like that. MF applied a 15% off holiday deal to the DSL20 for me over the phone. I kinda figured they wouldn't for the origins due to release and demand. But I could be wrong. Can't hurt to call. Check your emails for any 15 or 20% MF or GC coupons with codes, or use whatever deal they are advertising.

Mike Eskimo likes this.

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I get a discount for taking lessons at guitar center.

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Here’s some vidyas full of sloppy playing recorded by a phone.

Sadly they sound better than the official ones Marshall did.

Telecaster Bridge, no pedals, only changed tones via the tele’s tone and volume control. Low power setting.

335 where I use both pickups and also switch the boost on and off. Low power setting.

xland likes this.

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Sounds like it is going to do what is aimed at. Sounds nice and Marshally..thanks !!

kookaburra and fjrabon like this.

9. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yep. Definitely hits the mark. Is it an exact replica of a 60s JTM? No. But it’s much closer than anything Marshall has put out costing less than $2000.

Basically if the DSL series is an affordable JCM, the Origin series is an affordable JTM. I say this loving Friedman stuff to death, but if Friedman put this out and slapped a $1500 price tag on it, nobody would bat an eye.

Also, the way it’s built you could quite easily buy the combo and then make a head enclosure and basically have both. It took me all of 2 minutes to pull the actual amp off the cabinet.

bftfender likes this.

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    mt thoughts exactly, if didn't stumble into a jtm plexi clone w/master that kept the tone across the volume , this was what i was looking for..congrats and enjoy !!

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had a 50W on preorder, got tired of waiting and bought a AC12C2, but now I'm thinking I still might end up getting the 50 watter

I also like @fjrabon idea about buying the common and turning it into a head at a future date

12. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Does that mean the tubes in the combo are horizontal in between the chassis and speaker baffle and not vertical behind the speaker like in most combos?

13. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA

14. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    No, it just means it’s really easy to detach and would be really easy to drop into an enclosure. The tubes stick straight down from the chassis like on most tube amps. I can’t recall ever seeing a horizontal configuration, even on a head.

It would have the controls on the top of the front panel and the tubes would hang down if you made it into a head.

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Here are some internal shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Underwater
    What I'd like to know, is this running push pull tubes? 20w seems really low for a pair of EL34's?

17. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, that has me a bit flummoxed as well. It’s the exact same tube setup as the 50 watters. So I just wonder what trick they’re using to limit it to 20W and if this means it could easily be modded to go to 50W when desired.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I think the new DSLs may share some design in this respect, but I don't know. I do know that I have really crank my DSL20 to get some noticeable power tube cooking. Oooooh but it sounds goooooood when it does. Just very, very loud.

19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Hmmm looks like plenty of room for a 12inch. Not a mod I would do until post-warranty. But looks doable, nonetheless.

That being said, why not just use the combo as a head? No need to take the chassis out. You can use an extension cab with or without the internal speaker. I have my DSL plugged in to my homemade cab, using both speakers. Sounds great. It may not looks as rock-n-roll as a traditional head and cab, but works the same.

20. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i really like my Celestion type V 12"s , good speaker sorta really covers the marshall tone well across the board

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.