Marshall Origin 20, real world reviews

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RodeoTex, Feb 9, 2019.

1. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2010
    grand rapids
    +1 on what axis29 said! Saved me a bunch of typing! Also like the v30 but it takes a bit to break in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axis29 likes this.
  2. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    I've had this Origin 20H for months. Paired it with a Leged GB128.

Two things:

First, this amp is a LOUD 20 watts. On full power I cannot get it close to cranked at home and stay in the same room - my old abused ringing ears can't take it. The lowest power setting is still pretty loud when you turn it up enough to get the rock crunch happening. This is not a complaint. In fact, it's a feature. This amp has a killer, slightly broken up, clean sound that in my opinion is very sweet and very useful.

I haven't had a chance to gig with it. But I feel that being able to run it up on the full power setting would be a blast.

Secondly, it plays very nice with pedals. Seems that everything I throw at it sounds pretty darn good. I don't use the effect loop for my delay/modulation pedals because I'm just lazy and running the extra cables for the loop and the foot switch is a messy pain. Besides they all sound good going straight in.

IMHO - Very nice amp for the money. It's a keeper.

3. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2019
    US
    Anyone know how these are comparing to the DSL series? I am always super happy to try something "new".

4. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Johan Segerborn did this one :)

5. tce63

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I use a volume pot in the loop on the Origin 20C and can take the volume down and still get a great sound :)

[​IMG]

GearHund and RodeoTex like this.
  6. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2019
    US
    Thank you sir.

tce63 likes this.
  7. tce63

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    He also done one with DSL40CR and the Origin 50C

JodanOrNoDan likes this.
  8. tce63

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    It has Celestion Seventy-80 in it, i have the Origin 20C and that has the V-type speaker in, i didn´t like it, changed to a Greenback and now it sounds great

Treynor likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    somebody posted somewhere (where did I see that?) that the Origin cabs were just rebranded versions of their super-cheap cabinet line. haven't done the research to back this up but from what I saw, you might be able to save some meaningful cash and get the same product.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Can’t verify. I haven’t seen them released at any US retailer. But the specs are the same for both series on the Marshall website. I’m willing to bet the differences are only cosmetic.

11. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    That was me, it was just speculation, but it seems a reasonable suggestion. The MX cabs have the same specs, and are made in the far east like the Origins.
    To be fair the MX cabs aren't terrible, they would do for my purposes, especially since I have a spare speaker. I just need to figure out if having a nicer looking cab is worth the money.

12. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Too bad Marshall do not offer a dedicated 1 12" cab for the head...

13. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    jgmouton likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Hasn't Marshall just released a studio line of vintage style lower wattage amps?

Found it. Seems like these may be competing with the origin line although I think these are more expensive. I don't know much about them, just heard they had come out with them recently.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I love the V type speaker.

Tried the studio line. Personally I prefer the Origin line. Sometimes people forget that "the" Plexi sound and "the" JCM800 sound are really, really bright. Or maybe it's upper mids. Sounds great at huge volume in a loud mix, but tough for today's quieter stage volumes, IMO.

The Origin line still has that Marsall toppiness but is overall warmer and easier to dial in for me. Quit versatile with the MV arrangement and the pull for more gain option. Good value.

The single 10 Origin 20 would be tough for me. We play un-mic'd a lot and I'd always be right up against it or playing with more saturation than I prefer. The Origin 50 with a bigger cab and 12" speaker works great for me though. And it's only a few pounds and dollars more than the 20.

bftfender, Chunkocaster and Treynor like this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    They have fewer power options, and are twice the price.... They do have more inputs, though? I am not sure they are made in Viet Nam, like the Origins.

But, they will make some of the Marshall traditionalists happier, I think.

Me? I'm perfectly happy with my Origin.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I just checked the price and yes the new studio series are much more expensive. I already own a class 5 head and a 68 jmp 50w clone with ppmv mod. There is a 2 month old used Mint Origin 20 combo advertised near me for $200 bucks cheaper than new. It's tempting to get it for the combo portability factor and that price.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    There's Origin 2x12s. They are the same as the MX series. Only cosmetic differences. The MX112 is $250 US. If there was an Origin 1x12 it would be the same speaker and specs, only cost a bit more.

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/cabinets

If I were to buy the Origin 20 head, I would consider the MX112, and upgrade to a greenback at some point. I have a DSL20CR, though, and I'm enjoying the gain channel at very low volumes for practice. I couldn't do that with the Origin.

jgmouton likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.