Marshall Origin 20, real world reviews

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RodeoTex, Feb 9, 2019.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Now that these have been out for a while I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences with them.

I'm kind of a Fender amp guy (PR,DR, SCX2, Excelsior, etc.) but have always admired the classic Marshall sounds.
    Is this amp a good stepping-off point?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Ooops, I was hoping there'd be responses already.
    There's an Origin 20 Combo for sale on a local site, and the seller says that he is letting it go because it didn't have the headroom to keep up in his 2 guitar rock band. Apparently the power reduction, for bedroom level playing works fine.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one & like it quite a bit -- good little 30-lb grab and go combo. At full throttle it's plenty of amp for the gigs I play, even with a greenback in it, which is a less efficient speaker. But I play in a blues band, not a rock band -- not that we don't get flipped off by bartenders every now and then for being too loud. I feel like this is an easy amp to get a good sound out of, and for me it scales well from living room to gig.

I'm not a Marshall guy, though, so I don't know the ins and outs of how this amp relates to the classic Marshall sounds, except that it sounds like one to me.

RodeoTex likes this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

They had some kind of a recall issue. One of the outputs was prone to failure if recall. I’ve played one twice at 2 different shops. The first time I was very excited and supremely underwhelmed. The second time I was trying out a new guitar and it was the only amp in the room that I’d played on at all and sounded great!

5. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

To the OP's original question: yes, YES, YESSS!

The guitar sounds I've always heard in my head that I want when I play were very Fender-y. Vintage, Fender tube goodness. My hand-wired Princeton is my sublime, go-to amp.

But. BUT. I cannot tell you how much I am loving my Marshall Origin 20C. Still absolutely blown away how I am getting incredible clean Strat tones out of it one day, and glorious over-driven sounds with my ES-335, the next. It is truly one of the great combo amps that have come out in the past couple of years. Tons of presence, volume, and tone, all priced at a great point. I sold my Vox AC10C (which I really liked), and took a leap of faith on the Origin 20C. I could not be more pleased. This amp really does something for me and my playing. It has become a great complement to my buddy using his Fender Deluxe Reverb when we are gigging or just noodling around.

I am currently running a Eminence Red Fang 10" speaker that I ordered in 16-ohm. Tons of headroom and glorious tones. It is a bit harder to over-drive the amp with this efficient speaker, but that's what my pedal board is for. :)

May have to try a Greenback, just for sh**s and giggles.

- Bob

Shuster and RodeoTex like this.
  6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I bet that 20 watt Origin into a 2x12 or more would have kept up with his band

perttime and RodeoTex like this.
  7. RodeoTex

Well, I'm a head/cab guy so I was thinking that if I get one I'll build a 2x12 vertical cabinet, top half slanted of course.
    Maybe a greenback and a creamback.

8. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’ll be finding out first hand next week. I just ordered a demo 20 combo from Sweetwater this morning. More to follow....

RodeoTex likes this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire

I have had one for several months now.

I. LOVE. IT.

Love, love, love it. As @tarheelbob says, it gets the sounds I heard in my head, or at least in my youth.

The first one I tried was a 50 Combo and I loved it. But, I knew I needed the lower wattage of the 20. It took me a week to find one in stock... When i tried it, i thought, man, that sounds funky. So, I compared ti to the 50C sitting right next to it and it sounded just as funky. I knew then, it was the room. I was right. Weird that a GC could make an amp sound that bad... that literally sounds f'ing fantastic anywhere else I've played it.

As for it not being loud enough? I can see that... But, I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also used the DI out a few times. Once at an outdoor party... I had the amp on the 3 watt setting and used the PA to fill out the sound. What a great set up! Funny thing is, I did exactly the same thing at a gig a few days later and it worked out really well. Kept stage volume down, but helped me to push sound out FOH nicely.

I also am a Blues guy. I wasn't looking for Judas Priest levels of gain... I was looking for late 60's Beck and Clapton kinda stuff, at the heaviest. Man, this amp delivers in spades! I've been putting a Lovepedal Super Sic Tone in front to get those fuzzy Tonebender sounds of Beck and Page and man, I cannot gush enough about how good this amp is! Running the amp, just guitar in, is fun. I mean just downright ear to ear smiling fun. I use all the different power levels to get the right tone for several different situations and they all sound great.

This amp is better than I imagined! I mean really, it was so much better than my expectations. I've been excited about these amps since they were announced and so, I had built it up pretty good. The fact that I have not been disappointed is incredible.

I am also a Fender guy. I use mostly tweed style amps... But, the Marshall has been a great addition to my small pile of amps.

Mine was one that had the fault with the speaker outs. The fault is that it is labelled as two 8 ohm cabinets, but the way the jack was wired, whenever you plugged in a second 8 ohm cabinet, the first one stopped working.... No big deal, fixed under warranty. No questions asked. And, when I emailed Marshall to ask about it, the rep that responded did so quickly and we had a nice back and forth exchange. he was super helpful and nice. Overall a great experience.

I would rebuy the 20C in a heartbeat and chances are, I may buy a 50 watt head further down the line....

10. RodeoTex

Thanks @Axis29 .
    That was an awesome write-up.
    Thanks for taking the time.

Axis29 and Treynor like this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Can't wait. I'm intrigued by these amps too. They got the aesthetics right. The videos sound great. The price is right. And I feel like I should own a Marshall at some point before I die.

Treynor likes this.
  12. JK202

JK202 TDPRI Member

Idle question perhaps, but why would you tilt the top half of the cabinet? What is the difference vs. straight up and down?

JK

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

classic old school Marshall.... would get an Origin no doubt

14. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I realy love my Origin 20C, fantastic amp.

I also had the speaker out issue, but Warranty took care of that.

But i have changed the Speaker to a Greenback 10" , sounds even better.

I also have a 1*12 Palmer Cab with Greenback, that im use in rehearsals.

North East Al likes this.
  15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

People have different needs. I got the feeling that the guy I quoted is in a loud band - and he wanted loud cleans.

When you have the cabinet on the floor, or even on a low stand, a straight cabinet directs the sound at your legs. A slanted speaker points the sound more towards your ears.

------

I like it when I can go from "hairy cleans" to a bit of a growl just by picking more forcefully. I suspect an Origin will do that just fine?

16. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

I did the same with a Greenback. They should be selling them with these speakers. Save us all time

tce63 likes this.
  17. tce63

Well they should set greenback's in from the beginning, I didn't like the V-type speaker that was sitting in from start, but I guess it's all about saving a few bucks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When will I learn to stay off this kind of thread,,, drool,droolo_O

19. tce63

The Origin is a perfect match for my Tele / Esquire :)

Shuster likes this.
  20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

yeah, I don't know why they don't ship 'em with the greenback -- really makes a difference in this amp. the V-type feels louder, to me, which may be why, wanting the little combo to make more noise. but the GB10 really does wonders for the low end.

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.