Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall class 5

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Iron Broadsword, Jun 8, 2016.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I love mine.

For rehearsal it is perfect. For a show if we are mic'd, it is perfect. Loud enough to monitor on stage. Projects really well and sits in our mix great.

I don't find it to be a one trick pony. It won't do "sparkly" cleans but I never want those. Cleans up great with the guitar volume though, without losing too much volume.

Great amp.

asnarski likes this.

2. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2007
    new jersey
    It’s a great little amp. I have the latest version. But to be honest I have been using my Pro Jr. much more so I’m thinking about selling the Marshall.

3. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I'll go out on a limb here and speak heretically. I had a Marshall Class 5. I sold it and bought a PRRI because I didn't have a Fender tone covered. I miss the Marshall. It's probably a better fit for me than the Fender.

mnutz and MilwMark like this.

4. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I did the opposite. And am much happier.

mnutz likes this.

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I play one, too. Fun little amp...plenty loud for my needs and a good variety of gritty sounds. Anything past 5 on the volume knob with my Les Paul is a blast.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Some have noted that it's a one-trick pony, which shouldn't be too surprising - the full-size Marshall heads I used to have were one-trick ponies also, but man... it's like Heaven's gates have opened up before you.

RoyBGood and mnutz like this.

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I tried a Weber ceramic 15 watt Blue in mine and it is way too bright. Thinking about trying a 10" Greenback that I bought cheap in mint condition.
    Al

8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Love mine with a 2061CX cab, Lyle mods and a VVR.

IMG_1529.JPG

jimytheassassin, MrGibbly and mnutz like this.

9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Oh man! What a great looking rig! I bet it sounds killer too!

10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I like things that either (a) do one thing and do it well [Class 5, SFVR], or (b) do LOTS of things [Mark V:25, HD500X].

mnutz likes this.

11. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Thanks. Yes it does! It sounds very close to my '71 1959 SL rig but it doesn't move my pant legs quite as much. But it can still be freakin' LOUD! That's where the VVR comes in. ;)
    IMG_1455.JPG

I edited this because I uploaded the incorrect pix. It was of my JTM45. This is the Super Lead.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

12. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Deleted

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    It's been a year and since my last response and I moved up to a DSL40C. It covers both the recording and live need a bit better. Sold my Marshall Class 5.

14. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    How do you like the DSL?

Every clip I can find is all bass and high gain. Can't tell if that's the amp or what reviewers think people want to hear.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    The DSL takes some adjustment over say a Fender Deluxe. Less rounded with more edge, clearer as well. Actually the best part is running the clean channel and pushing the gain slightly. It can be loud, clear with just a bit of raspiness. I use the distortion channels just on occasion as they can get a bit cheesy. If you keep it clean the amp breaks up naturally in a really good way. It has more clarity and low end pump than the Marshall Class 5 and of course considerable more headroom. Also it has a 20 and 40 watt switch which works for recording and live.

Yeah, there are a lot of people on youtube who go for the distortion channels and that is really not the best part of the amp. Check out Joe Bonamass's clip where he dimes the amp on the clean channel, that's more of the sound I like. The Marshall Class 5 is a great little amp by the way, had I not needed more of a live amp, I would have kept mine.

16. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Last night’s show. Two SGs, T-Rex Soulmate and Marshall Class 5. Huge ballroom. 400 people easy. We were mic’d Of course. But I had no guitar in my monitor and never even got the Marshall to 1/2. Well, I tried, but it was too loud. Love playing at these stage volumes. Vocal monitors are so clear, no feedback.
    281FF83D-B6AA-47C6-84B3-5932FF5D4B3E.jpeg

17. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Nice looking stage! I'll bet that was fun. I like the Class 5 tilted back and accompanied by that two-tone TV front Vox AC15. Cool.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The DSL (and every other amplifier demonstrated on YouTube) sounds fine IF the people doing the demonstration know how to mic it properly. Most YouTube demonstrations of guitar amplifiers are recorded on a camera phone which makes it sound like it's in a toilet.

RoyBGood likes this.

19. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It was a good time. Large, engaged crowd. We were a man down and had to reconfigure several songs and outright drop at least half dozen. But the crowd kept demanding encores. Finally had to repeat one from the first set and then call it quits. Always leave them wanting more, I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.