Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall class 5

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Iron Broadsword, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Iron Broadsword

Iron Broadsword Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    I love these things.. easily the most fun to play amp I've ever had the pleasure to plug into. Anybody else out there play one?

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Straight in ?

I could have fun with one of those.

Is there one version (first ones/latest ones) that's preferable ?

3. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    Yeah, that was straight in.

The first version with the one piece back was prone to rattling, but I own one and it rattles and honestly people make too much of it. I gig it all the time. The third version, labeled C5-01 on the back, has a low power mode which drops it down to somewhere around tv volume. Although you can add that low power mode to any of them by simply soldering in one single wire.

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I've played them in shops and thought they were pretty good. Would love to be able to dime one or plug one into a larger cab.

5. I had the last version of the combo at one time and thought it really nailed the Marshall sound. It is more or less a one trick pony, but does that trick really well, at lower volumes that is.

asnarski and Iron Broadsword like this.

6. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    ^Yeah, that's my experience with it. It does one thing really good, kinda like a toaster.

7. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Hey Iron man, what's with what looks like electrician's tape behind the nut on your PRS???

8. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Yup, sounds exactly like the one a mate brought into my lounge......horrible . :D

RoyBGood and Iron Broadsword like this.

9. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had one for a while; loved it at first, especially with a Tele. Then I sold my Tele and kind of fell out of love with the amp, tried to mod it to be something it didn't want to be, and ended up selling it. Now I'm thinking about getting another one.. Even though I have a Champ, there was something so satisfying about just diming the **** out of that little marshall with a Tele. Hindsight's 20-20, but in retrospect I'd recommend strongly against doing any of the "Lyle" mods or changing speakers. If anything, just put a strong NOS EL84 in and enjoy it as-is.

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I have one which I use for recording. It's close to the sound of say a 74x but not quite as clean. I am going to hold on to it but yes, it's a one trick pony.

ExiledonMainSt likes this.

11. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    Yep, electrical tape. There's some on the tele too at the end of the vid.. It's an old trick to keep the guitar quiet when not being played.. you don't notice it when playing but you definitely notice it when doing some recording.

12. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    I did do the Lyle mod, and I did try a G10vintage in it, but eventually settled back on the stock speaker. The Lyle mod is fantastic though.. I did it to both of my C5's. I do use nos el84 in them as well, and yeah the difference is large.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    ExiledonMainSt likes this.

13. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Had one for three years just sold it...(for what I paid for it I might add). Great looking and sounding amp really nice through a 2x12 cab. It really was a one trick pony and my Mesa Trans Atlantic kind of made it obsolete. I had put a Mullard 12ax7 in mine and it just roared.Not much headroom but who buys a 5 watt amp for headroom. Anyways it sat collecting dust for two years and I just sold it. I paid $399 for it new and sold it for $400 on Reverb. Can't say that about anything else I've ever bought or sold.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

14. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    Nice. I usually see them going for $350.

15. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I had one with the one piece back a few years ago. It rattled like crazy! I took care of most of the rattles and did the Lyle mods and found that they changed the amp too much. Last winter I bought a C5-01 locally for $225! It's a nice amp and sounds good. I don't think I'll mod this one.

Iron Broadsword likes this.

16. Iron Broadsword

May 12, 2016
    Canada
    Cool stuff. Yeah the Lyle mods definitely take it away from fender and more towards marshall.

17. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've got a 2012 Class 5 (C5-01) combo with the .1 watt switch.

Never selling this little amp. Love the look and playing it in .1 watt mode.

When set to 5 watts I use an Egnator 1x12 cab that makes it sound bigger and less boxy than the factory (unbroken in) speaker.

A great UK made amp in which I paid less than $300 brand new.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Think of it as Marshall's answer to the Champ. Stealthy little bugger. Aftermarket Princeton Reverb vinyl cover from Antique Electronic Supply fits nicely.

19. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    I've got one, a combo, use it with a Weber Micromass. Classic Marshall sound.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

20. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Old thread, but I'll chime in. I have the Class 5 head that I put through a 2x12 Greenback Cabinet. I'm more of a Fender guy, but the Class 5 dimed really sounds great through that cab. Overtones & sustain from my LP for days. It is a perfect amp for my studio setting & can keep up with my heavy metal drummer.

jgordito likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.