Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab opinions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scout2112, Dec 4, 2018.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    ... Celestion G10L-35's. The consensus on 10" speakers seems to be you either love them or you hate 'em. I saw a Marshall 1965A 4x10 cabinet in a local music store that looks relatively small and lightweight. I've seen a few comparisons that have left me on the fence and unsure about pulling the trigger on it. I'm a little worried about the tone being too boxy compared to its 12" brethren. Anyone have experience with this cab (or the 1965B)?

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ...but, how would 'she' handle a 12-inch or 15-inch JBL (no innuendos implied).

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I can love some vintage Celestions. I have yet to hear a made in China Celestion-labeled speaker that makes me want to spend money on one. Ommv.
    And....there is nothing about the diameter of a speaker that defines the sounds that it will make, ime.
    The best way to have what you personally like is to play it and then spend the money if you like it, imho.

4. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    Agree - I was in a hurry and didn't have time to check out how it sounds... I wanted to do a little research before I trek back over there (it's an hour drive).

5. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I had a Marshall 1965 cabinet many years ago and loved it. I wish I still had it. I'd rather have a 4x10 than a 4x12.

Crobbins, scout2112 and Jakedog like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    thats a great cab..it is very punchy. plexi was fantastic with it and 3203 also..here is a lightweight rig 3203 stack.jpg

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I personally love them. I really wish I still had mine. They’re getting pretty hard to find.

MilwMark and bftfender like this.
  9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    They made a model 1966A and 1966B in 2x12 format akin to the 2061CX. If you like the size, but not the sound and the price is right a sheet of plywood could get you a 2x12.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Oh, the Artist... another amp I wish I had kept. Such a brutal-sounding amp.

bftfender and Jakedog like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Off topic, but I’ve owned four different 3203 heads. I consider that quite an accomplishment since they only made about 400 of them. Some of my favorite amps ever. If I still needed tubes in my amp, I’d probably still have one.

bftfender likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    and the most surprising chimey cleans

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  13. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    Sounds interesting, I'm going to go check it out. Most important for playing live is how the guitar sits with rest of the band, and what I've read elsewhere is this cab has exactly what's needed to cut through the mix.

14. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    cape cod
    my opinion is that i would like one.

15. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I love the 1965A/B cabs. They are a little more focused than the 4x12 cabs, and work especially well with amps that push more bass. They sound fantastic with a good 50-watt Bassman head. My dream rig would be two 1965B cabs sitting side-by-side, and a JTM-45 head.

slide likes this.
  16. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    That’s what I use mine for. I’ve been looking forward to getting my Bassman head back from being restored and plugged back in. I bought my cabinet back in the late ‘90’s for around $300. I liked the compactness and lightweight. It fit nicely in my car the few times I played out.

IMG_2403.jpg

bftfender likes this.
  17. slide

slide NEW MEMBER!

Jun 21, 2003
    I have paired my 66 bassman with the 1965B cab for years, sounds fantastic

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I'd like to get the 2-12 1966 version to use with my '69 Fender Bandmaster Reverb. I like the diagonal speaker arrangement of the 12's.
    Al

19. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Mojotone sells a diagonal 2x12 like the 1966 in top and bottom versions. There are built like the 2061CX are are 26" wide instead of 24" like the 1966.

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Yes, I've seen those, I need to measure my BMR head again to see how wide it is. I would like it to fit the top of the cab. I think the 26" will be about right.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.