Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

March Jam Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by jjpish68, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Wouldn't we all.

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Tell my girlfriend that...

3. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    A musical minute. :lol:

4. TeleTex82

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    :lol: Yeah..errr...that's what I meant.:lol:

5. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder

You guys are awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I hope so for your girlfriend sake :lol:

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Just got home and got a chance to listen to all three new tracks. Think I'll practice till April and then try again on April's track.:lol:

Really some nice takes on this track and full of great ideas.

8. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    A lot going on here in the past 12 hours! Mellencaster, this second track sounds much better than the first one, I enjoyed it very much. TeleTex82, I really dig Your playing. And, it´s nice to see a face (even if for a second) and not only the torso with a guitar :).

If I hear all this music, I really would like to jam with you - but You are so far away.

9. TeleTex82

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Thank you! This track has me wishing we could all jam together as well. We need an international TDPRI conference.

10. TeleTex82

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    :lol:

11. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Here's my take on the March Jam track.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-braiding/march-blues-white-mans-blues

I got a bit lost around the end of the 4th verse and there's a couple of clunky notes in there as well.

Anyway I wouldn't mind a bit of constructive criticism, as blues isn't really my style but I'm keen to improve.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Hoodie - For me from about 3:10 on I thought you got to a good blues feeling/place and started to work the backing track. Someone else can probably get more technical.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Here's my take I just finished. Cheated a bit, doing two solos and using a couple parts of the first one in the second one where it got weak, but it's mostly the second one straight through. Also cut a couple minutes off the BT.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12717328

14. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Hoodie you did get better towards the end with some bends and rhythmic variations.

15. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Tap - Use a compressor? Nice one.

16. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks Mjark. No compressor, just a modified CV50 Tele (both pups in series, tone halfway down) straight in to a Frontman 25R OD channel with gain and reverb on 3, treble and bass on one, mid on 3, back into a Zoom PS04 to record (dry, no effects) though it's headphone jack. Mixed in Audacity with no effects added.

17. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Anatomy of a Blues Jam

All the ingredients are there Hoodie and whether you realise it or not, your note articulations are nicely binding your various phrases together.

Blues isn't my style either, but back during my teens when I used to go jamming with a band (I wasn't good enough to be a member, but they let me hang around), I used to dread playing slower blues numbers because I would run out of ideas from about the 3rd round onwards. The lead guitar player is a decent and kind fellow and he helped me along with this.

ARTICULATION:
    • Make up or choose a simple blues melody line (string some short phrases together to make up one round). The lesser the notes the better so that you can repeat it over and over again easily. I actually see a picture of it's shape in my mind (I'm not schooled so I can't read or write music).
    • Once you've memorised it, play the entire melody (one round), but wiggle the last note of each phrase to see if you can 'milk' as much sustain out of it as you can. Squeeze it all out, don't worry if it's not musical just yet. It's horrid if done all the time of course, but you're only developing a 'sense' of expression for now.
    • Play the entire same melody again for the next round, but this time slide-up into the first note of a phrase, then slide-down out of the last note. Do it on all the phrases until you get to the end of one round. If you're comfortable, go ahead and bend the odd note or two in the middle - without losing track of your placement in the overall melody.
    • Again the same melody for the next round, but this time invent melodic 'bridges' to fill the gaps in between the phrases. Same melody structure but you can change the bridges on the spur of the moment which ever way you please. Keep it fun, keep it simple, keep it easy. If you're getting lost, you're doing too much too soon. Pull back a bit.

Once you get bored with that, come up with another melody and progressively articulate that in the same way. Then another, then another, and so on. Before you know it, you can play what appears to be complex patterns to others, but for you it's just noodling around with a basic simple structure known only to you. In due course, you will progress to a point where you can change the melody every 2 or 3 rounds, or change them on every round.

The part where we all need to be picky is the kind of "melody" we choose. Some melodies just don't go well with the blues feel, so listen to some blues artists you like and borrow some tunes from them. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

18. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I like what's in your pantry, Tap. :)

I hope you won't mind if I borrow a few phrases to stock up for my own... :D

19. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    ARRGH! It just won't play, keeps buffering and I have FiOS but it seems to be on the fritz right now. What short parts I can hear are awesome though! :D

Who knew Jeff Beck was on TDPRI?

20. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    See if it streams better by playing it directly from the host site…

http://kiwi6.com/file/o1ow79tvbe

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.