Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

March Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    It's just some flange. Maybe to much.

2. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm at a party. I'll listen later on.

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    https://soundcloud.com/telleutelleme/come-along

I got this idea stuck in my head and couldn't come with anything else. I cut the BT down to about 3 minutes since it was so repetitive (my part). HSS Strat into my HD500 pod and into my DT50 amp. Modeled a Brit J-45 and the following effects in the HD500 editor.

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 21 18.14.jpg

Maybe too much but it was fun trying something different. Feel free to comment good or bad. Looking forward to April Tracks. We all get lots more time for those. Be fun trying to complement a vocal.

4. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Mike - really good take on the track. I think the horns really made it. Seems you tried to stay true to the original but with some nice changes. I liked it.

Ullrich the two guitars really complement each other. I especially like the tone with the Mesa mode.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    …and no. 4 - not a highly organized effort, just shortened up the BT and alternated between a clean sound with delay or a higher gain sound, all though the Squier and Garageband. Just kind of ordinary practice, but I always try to turn up something new among the usual stuff.
    https://soundcloud.com/colotexardo/watermelon-man-tdpri

I'll listen to the other tracks tomorrow.

6. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Mike - Those horns were huge. Nicely played and thought out. I was reminded of the swinging 60's too.

Ullrich - You really changed the character of the track with your twin guitars. There was very nice phrase that caught my ear around 1:50 or so.

7. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Funkysmell, you had some nice lines in there. I especially like those octaves at 2:20.

8. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    The horns and the leslie guitars sound really good together. They give your track a very special vibe; I think Shane is right, sounds like a track of a 70s detective movie.

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Too bad that you erased your first track accidentally. However, this one has the ease of a warm summer evening when everything is coming your way.

10. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Do you refer to your playing or your setup? Or both? Anyhow, the tones you used to set your melody are deviant in a very positive way. This bt seems to support good-vibe-relaxed-playing. I like that, telleutelleme. Try to make your guitar louder next time :)

I always like to listen to you, teletimetx. There is something in your playing, but I couldn´t nail down what it is. Love the clean guitar and the vibrato sequence.

11. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Thanks to everybody for taking the time to listen and comment. I have to say, I am very satisfied with the Express 50; I find it very easy to dial in tones I like.

Shane, I don´t quite understand why you think you maybe have to leave. I understand that spring thing, but that was a "besides". Well, of course you don´t have to explain in detail and it is your decision only, but I would regret you leaving (as well as any other who participated consistently).

Surely, it´s time consuming to make a track every week. I usually use the weekend for this, and as I live alone, I have no other regular obligations. As for me, I have decided about two years ago that I want to intensify and improve my playing (and maybe find some other geezers to make music with), and so this time is well invested. Naturally your situation and interests may be quite different. Hope you stay, though.

As far as I remember, I never used tremolo up to now. It seemed to me I had to use it on this track, it belonged there (BTW, I just found out that there is an original I wasn´t aware of; so it was quite easy to give this track another character). But I am a secret fan of tremolo. If there wasn´t that reverb side I do not need at all, I´d be a proud owner of the Strymon Flint - love those sounds.

12. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I thought of a flanger at first then I second guess myself :)

I like this John .Very happy and an upbeat phrasing

Very nice Bill! I also agree with Ullrich about your playing style ,It's like a arpeggio with double stops, it's something I haven't grasp doing and a technique that I would love to understand how to play

I don't have to tell you I'm a big tremolo fan :) In a past post you pointed the way for me on the Strymon Flint which I think it sounds great and I would like to own ,I'll return the favor , if you haven't heard of it already ,check out Mr. Black Deluxe Plus Spring Reverb/Tremolo.

Thanks John ,Mark and Ullrich for your comments.

13. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks for the positive comment. I'm not very happy with this track. I meant my setup. but also too much repetition in the playing. I didn't pull the guitar up because it wasn't all that interesting. I had that lick at the break stuck in my mind and really had a difficult time figuring out where to go after it. Maybe I'll see if I can do something else with it today if not too many household projects.

Thanks Mike for your comment as well. I think there's an idea there but it needs someone else's mind to do something with it.:lol:

Its all fun and good though. I really enjoy this group and these takes. Its fun to be challenged by all you guys.

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    funky: I enjoyed this track - all good vibes & I liked the octave lines for variety.

fun track, Mike! very creative, a fun journey from start to finish. I didn't hear it as ice picky at all.

Ullrich - liked the dual guitars, especially when they started weaving together at the conclusion of each verse. Loving that Mesa! To my ears, you even managed to sneak in a few country sounds - are you sure you're not from Texas?

Mark - I always enjoy your tracks. very creative lines. Too much flanger? I don't think so - I think you worked the effect very well. Heard some Steely Dan flavors in there - good stuff.

John - I really liked the tone of your guitar here. I also think it could have been a little louder in the mix. When you say Brit J-45, are you referring to a Marshall JTM45? I'm not sure that came through to my ears, but I still liked what I heard.

Thanks for posting your tracks, y'all. It's always fun to hear the variety. Hope you can still check in with us, Shane - your tracks were all good stuff and a pleasure to hear. And thanks again, Mike for all the work you do to set this up.

15. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    John - Playing through the breaks is what makes this track. You had the right idea.

Bill - I liked your ideas on this one a lot, very funky.

16. Funkysmell

Funkysmell TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Phoenixville, PA
    My go at the week 2 track, again done in one take with just my tele and and the track playing through the amp...

https://soundcloud.com/funkysmell-1/march-week-2-track

Telleu- I really liked your approach on the week 4 track, sort of reminded me of the doors.

Teletimetx- Though you played some really tasteful licks on that one, thanks for posting.

Udoring- I liked what you did with the two guitars on your track, thought they really played off each other nicely.

17. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Funky - you've been busy! Welcome back.

18. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Funkysmell that's pretty good ,I like it. Your tone for the track sounds just right for this bt

19. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Funkysmell, I just have to second Mike. I really enjoyed your track, good playing and sound.

Besides, do you already own a computer? If so, and if you want do record yourself more often, I would advise you to invest some money in DAW-equipment. All you need is a program (if I remember right there are versions out there which are even free and sufficient to do stuff like this), a usb-interface and maybe a mic (I started with a SM57-clone for 35 € to mic up my guitar amp).

I guess, you would have more fun if you can spare the money.

20. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Funkysmell. Have to agree with the others, very good playing. As Ullrich said you could do some more with the recording and for not much investment. Besides more fun, it will eat up most of your day! But besides that, you did a nice job with the track.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.