Marauder style build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by soggybag, Jul 11, 2017.

1. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

I'm finally getting back to building again. The body is a piece of African mahogany. The neck I got from eBay. I'm looking for some opinions.

What should I do with the edge. I have 1/4" and a 1/2" round bits. I also have 45˚ angle chamfer bit. Then again, I could get the rasp out and try doing a wide bevel like Marauder or SG.

I want to do a wrap around bridge. These sit pretty high off the body. I figure I'll need to route the neck pocket at an angle. on the other hand I could recess the bridge into the body a little and mount the neck level with the body.

This body is pretty heavy. I'd like to think of some ways to weight relieve it. One idea was to make the back concave. Another was to drill out holes in the back that wouldn't go all the way through.

IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0054.jpg

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I usually use a 3/8" round over on my builds, so I'm leaning towards the 1/2" or the 45 degree chamfer. I think the 45 degree chamfer would add a lot of aggressive looks to the build along with the V neck. Only worry would be how the 45 will work on the lower bout.

Pickup choice. I'm leaning to the P90 a lot these days, but I do like a hot humbucker in the bridge too. A good single P90 in the bridge would be awesome or I'd go with a P90 in the neck with a HB in the bridge like a G&L Fallout.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool idea!

5. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Making progress. Did the neck pocket. I managed to route it with about a 1.5˚ angle. The template I made fits really tight on the neck, but somehow the pocket I routed is loose. I think I can line the inside with some veneer and that will snug it.

The angle and look good. I want to use a wrap around bridge while keeping the strings as low to the body as I can. I want to route the face of the guitar for humbuckers without the "wings", then mount the pickups from the back of the guitar.

IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0057.jpg

Daniel94 and Zepfan like this.
  6. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like it very much! Reminds me of a Les Paul Jr / Red Special hybrid that never existed but you're building right now... What is the name of the bridge you use? Really looking forward to the end result!

Cheers,

Albert

7. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Thanks for the comment.

I have a Tone pros wrap around bridge.

betocool likes this.
  8. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

you could carve the top and back for some weight relief; unnecessarily large control cavity; smuggler's route under a pickguard;
    chamber the back and cover it with a veneer.

9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Love that body wood. And that neck - love the headstock. Would be perfect for something I'm working on. But I'll stick to my cheap mods. :D

Attached Files:

radiocaster likes this.
  10. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

@callasabra good ideas. I was thinking about different ways to carve out the back. Originally I thought I might cut some big circles that would not go all way through. You'd only see them from the back. Then I started thinking I could an arm relief.

Top carve would be cool but, I don't feel my skills are there, yet. Plus, the flat top has a sort of clean simplicity that has a nice aesthetic.

@Macrogats that looks cool. The body shape reminds me of an old Guild.

11. Macrogats

12. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Cool, I had a friend who had a Turner in the 80s.

The way the body tapers to the at the edges was something I was thinking about doing to relieve some weight. I'm just not sure how I'd do it with the tools I have.

13. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

I got some wood veneer from the hardware store. Cut a piece to fit along the top edge of the neck pocket. I checked the alignment with the laser and it looks really good. I put a little tape to keep the glue at bay. Then I edged the neck in to hold the veneer while the glue dries. The fit is super snug now.

IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0060.jpg

LowThudd and HairyChapter like this.
  14. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Installed threaded inserts for the neck. This worked out well despite a mix up between 8-32machine threads and M5 threads, which are almost exactly the same! The bigger problem was holes being a little too close to one side. That said you will be the only one to know and everything functions well.

IMG_0062.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0066.jpg

RodeoTex likes this.
  15. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Tip for anyone using threaded inserts. These are not meant to be installed with a flat headed screwdriver! They have a slot on one side that might give you that idea but, it is wrong!

Use a bolt with a couple nuts. Tighten the nuts against each other and screw the insert in with the bolt. Start with the slotted side of the insert going into the wood.

Bonus you can easily back the insert out of the wood by inserting the bolt, then tightening the nuts against insert, and turning the bolt.

16. Macrogats

Good job on that neck pocket.

17. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

I got a bunch of hardware. I'm making "knurled" a theme.

• Knurled Tuner buttons
    • Knurled switch top
    • Some knurled knobs from an old hi-fi
    I have these locking posts, and a tone pros bridge. Sadly these are nickel and chrome, and everything else is aluminum. I wish I could get an Aluminum bridge and posts.

IMG_0067.jpg

Zepfan and Mat UK like this.
  18. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Making progress! I strung up and positioned the bridge by checking the intonation. I positioned the body in the drill press with a 5/16" bit, this fit the bridge. I needed to drill a 1/2" hole, after clamping down the body, I switched to the 1/2" forstner bit, moved the bridge out of the way and drilled.

Then I tapped the mounting anchor in to get it started, and pushed it the rest of the way with the drill press.

To do the second the post I screwed in the stud and mounted the bridge, positioned with the body in the drill press with the 5/16" bit, and then swapped for the 1/2" bit and drilled again.

Overall seemed to work pretty good. I tested the intonation along the way and seems pretty good. The nut is really high, I'm hoping when the nut is lowered it doesn't throw off the bridge position.

IMG_0071.jpg IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0073.jpg IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0076.jpg

LowThudd likes this.
  19. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

The bridge seems to be working pretty good the intonation is reasonable without any adjustment. The strings are shifted a little towards the bass side but, it's a pretty small offset.

The next step is to take it all apart and finish up the body. I want to:

• 1/8" round over
    • Route for two hum buckers.
    • Route for controls
    • Do some weight relief
    IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0079.jpg

Torren61, callasabra and ModerneGuy like this.
  20. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's looking great!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.