Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Maple vs Rosewood fretboard... which do you like?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I like them both, and I also like ebony fretboards as well.

The ones I like the most are the ones that stay in tune.

;)

dlew919 likes this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

maple -- blonde
    rosewood -- brunette
    ebony -- raven haired beauty

3. Mother Earth

Mother Earth TDPRI Member

May 13, 2016
    Dirty Jersey
    Maple, but only in a satin finish. Gloss finish feels too sticky. Satin wears smooth over time and feels really nice.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I like 'em both. For no particular reason. My Strat rings like a w/ maple and my Teles twang like nobody's business with rosewood. Depends on your preference I guess...

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Maple on my Fenders. But now that I've owned a couple Gibbys over the last 5 years or so I'm more open to rosewood on Fenders also

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Gotta have both. No particular favorite. OK, throw in a couple of ebony boards just to keep things interesting.

7. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    In this order of goodness:
    Ebony
    Maple
    Rosewood

Yet I don't know if I could tell the difference blindfolded, so it may just be that I prefer the aesthetics of ebony followed by maple and followed by rosewood. But it also depends on the color of the rest of the guitar. So really I'll take whatever and like it.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm nowhere near good enough to be able to tell the difference as a player. However, aesthetically, I do seem to prefer darker woods - if my guitar collection is anything to go by.

9. DrBlast

DrBlast TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Washington
    I think telecasters should have maple fretboards. If it doesn't have a maple board it should be called something else. ;-)

That said, the Daphne Blue Nashville "telecaster" with rosewood board is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

10. BigDaddyLH

We've been calling them the wrong thing since 1959! Mistakes for 58 years!

dlew919 likes this.

11. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Maple on tele's just feel right to me... something simple about the look that just adds to the charm of a tele, which is a model of genius in simplicity.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I like (and have) both... depending on the color of the guitar.

IMG_4917.JPG

13. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Hmmm, what wood would a redhead be, I wonder?

14. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Midwest
    I have a one piece Indian Rosewood neck on my Tele... It plays wonderfully, sounds great, and looks even better. I have two other Teles with Maple necks. Fine guitars and the sound fine but the one with the Rosewood neck is the go-to guitar and the only one I perform with. As important as tone is, I don't notice any appreciable difference... the feel of the neck, the looks, and the "soul" of the guitar... the experience of playing it is just different. Admittedly, it is probably more sentimental than anything else, but it is something I "hear" and expereience.

15. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Redwood, of course.

grooveiron likes this.

16. theleman

theleman Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    I read somewhere maple boards are more difficult and expensive for fret replacement work. Rosewood is easier therefore cheaper for the job.

For sound quality - maple supposed to be brighter and rosewood darker. It would be good to have both.

17. BigDaddyLH

I wonder how much people hear with their eyes. I've listened to YouTube demos where I heard the opposite: a neck was swapped and the rosewood fretboard had more high mids.

What would be cool would be a split fretboard: one wood for EAD, one for GBE. We could argue which wood for what side!

Modman68 and grooveiron like this.

18. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Having done the blindfold test, my hands genuinely can't tell the difference. I think a lot of that is a psychological thing. However. I prefer rosewood these days because it's easier to refret.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.