Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Maple vs Rosewood fretboard... which do you like?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Syd Lennon

Syd Lennon TDPRI Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Maple is the way to go. After years of rosewood I got a maple necked telecaster but hated how it felt so much. Took me a while to get used to the slippery/sticky dynamic. Once I got a feel for it I realized a lot of benefits. I don't perceive much of a tone difference from rosewood to maple, but the wood being one piece and totally sealed is a huge plus. Rosewood necks change a lot over time because they're thick veneers glued to maple, and left raw, exposed to the elements. The patina can get irreversibly disgusting on rosewood if you don't always have clean hands and take care of it. With maple you can be a slob then wipe it all off a month later, and you are always left with a natural, vintage worn patina over time.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Somehow, I come to the opposite conclusion.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Love a resurrection of the maple / rosewood thread. I missed it so!

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I have both. I like both. I probably like rosewood better.
    No wait!! Maple. Definitely maple.
    But then again, rosewood....

5. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Apparently we can't purchase Rosewood necks from the States here in Europe anymore (sigh). Since July this year they introduced some restrictions coz apparently rosewood is becoming extinct. So we'll stick w maple . O pao Ferro. Anyone can compare Pao Ferro to Rosewood? How does it feel?

6. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    I can't say from personal experience, but apparently Rosewood and Pao Ferro have enough in common they sometimes get mistaken if you aren't looking closely. I'll probably get a PF board for a future build to see.

For me, I've never liked the look of maple boards. GREAT for necks, but I just prefer darker woods for the fretboard. My ear isn't sensitive enough to hear tonal differences, so it's feel and aesthetics for me. Ebony is my favorite.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I love my Pau Ferro fretboard and my Rosewood fretboards. My maple fretboard is definitely the ugliest, but I love it too <3.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    For electric, LOVE maple, like ebony or other similarly hard and smooth woods / non-wood substances, don't like rosewood at all. Too much friction for my taste. On acoustic, love ebony-ish boards, and am OK with rosewood. Have rosewood on my Martin and would rather ebony or richlite, but don't mind the rosewood...

9. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Few folks suggested trying Blackwood. How does that feel? Is it not the same thing as ebony?

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Hi ..
    Rosewood for me but only really for the aesthetic ... tbh, can't really discern a difference between maple/rosewood when amplified. :)

11. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2012
    Winnipeg
    My tele has a maple, but I prefer rosewood. lol

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My dilemma: I like big necks (and I can not lie!). But the thing is, big necks have maple fretboards. Has Fender even produced a real baseball bat neck with a rosewood fingerboard? :(

kidmo likes this.

13. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    I've never played a Jeff Beck signature Stratocaster, but my understanding was he likes a rosewood board on a monster neck. Can anyone confirm?

14. fender_freak

fender_freak TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    I love a dark slab of rosewood...and I love maple too. Just depends on the cosmetics really for me.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I prefer rosewood.
    I perceive a slight "dampening" effect on the notes, acoustically.
    That dampening effect does not "translate" into the amplified sound.
    I prefer rosewood for that reason.
    I also like ebony.
    Maple is OK, it actually is my favorite "look".
    Try as I may, I never keep/bond with maple (only) necks.
    More for y'all, I suppose.

16. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I prefer maple in feel and look, though most of my instruments (2 guitars, 2 basses, 5 mandolins, 1 banjo) have rosewood fingerboards - (1 of my guitars doesn't - my tele is maple, (actually, as is my old now retired Yamaha))

rag1 likes this.

17. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Not Fender but I have a Warmoth 1 7/8" x 1" rosewood neck. Monster and it feels sooooo good

BigDaddyLH likes this.

18. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    My FSR Copper Burst Tele was the first guitar I purchased. It came with special options and one was the high gloss 9.5R maple neck ("Special Edition stamped on the back).

Then I purchased my second guitar which was an HSS Strat that I turned into a Pete Thorn Suhr clone. The neck is maple back with rosewood fret board and I love it.

I like rosewood so much I may change my Tele neck for a rosewood.

19. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012

20. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    Maple makes me feel more at ease and relaxed, and I feel freer working around the fretboard, whereas with rosewood, it feels a little more tense and subdued, if that makes any sense.

dlew919 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.