Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Maple vs Rosewood fretboard... which do you like?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    I have had alder and ash teles all with maple necks. Went shopping and played a lot of 2014 teles with rosewood necks. I play faster and easier on the rosewood (which is why I was interested) BUT... the tone seemed flat or lacking body on all rosewood teles I tried (could not find any that sounded fat and pretty). Too me, it was not just different flavors, but the rosewood was lacking...

So it seems like...

Maple fretboard- harder to play but sounds better
    Rosewood fretboard - much easier to play, but tone sounds thinner or less body

Have you found rosewood fretboard teles to sound as good as maple?

2. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    I prefer both ! I have 3 teles and there all my favorite !

3. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    I personally prefer maple ,but I intend to add a rosewood fretboard Tele/Esquire to my line up. It's more about preference of look ,but the rosewood edges feel a bit wider to me. Not saying it is because it may be in my head. I don't feel having a maple or rosewood fretboard effects anything sound wise. Again just opinion, but I will always be a maple guy! :)

4. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK
    Rosewood, but both are nice.

6. Chris Horton

Chris Horton TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Savannah, Georgia
    I like both. To be honest, I cant really tell much of a difference between the two. Neither in sound or playablility.

7. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I love both but for some reason prefer maple, mainly because of the look, I think. I love a maple neck that has been played a ton and gets that weathered look. Also I find it easier to see what I'm doing when I'm playing gigs in dark rooms. But I have never let a rosewood fingerboard turn me away from a guitar, either. And depending on the body color, rosewood can be a better combination visually, but that's a matter of taste.

jenos and RoyBGood like this.

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oh lordee, not maple versus rosewood again! :eek:

Brian Wright likes this.

9. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    It's a topic comparable to herpes. You may as well learn to live with it because it will always flare up :lol:

10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I have both. I like both. Tele's rule....with both....although I think rosewood is a bit mellower.

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2014
    Oregon
    I like rosewood, and blonds. But sometimes I like ebony and brunettes.

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    While I've had mostly Rosewood, but the guitars I've liked the most were the maple ones, mostly for the look. The "snappier" aspect to maple I think is not really a thing, but a perception. Back when I started, thin frets were the order of the day, I had no preference back then.

I'm now spoiled by medium-jumbo frets which IMO are easier to chord (lighter touch required, almost like scalloped). With Maple, it's just a tad easier to see your playing (as mentioned above) in different light conditions. Fret wire is a bigger consideration in playability (again IMO).

Two of my fav maple necks were my Squier '51, and my Squier Cabronita, though the finishes are opposite, '51 was satin with barely anything on the fretboard, and the Cab is poly dipped. Both play similarly, though the Cab's frets are just a bit more "jumbo". Both are miles easier to play than the 2000 MIM Strat I had with "classic" frets.

13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    My rosewood boarded tele has Keystones, and my maple necked CV Thinline sounds great with the stock A5's.
    Both get high marks for sound and playability.

YMMV and all that, but I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

14. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2010
    Texas, USA
    The difference is cosmetic. Nothing more.

Gibson and jotaroman like this.

15. solszew

solszew TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2013
    California
    Maple. It just looks and feels better to me. Fender made an accidentally brilliant move when they decided to insert frets directly into the maple, rather than an overlay of some sort. Also, I have to agree with Chris M. about that fabulous weathered look a well-played old maple fretboard has.

Please do feel free to disagree. : )

twr1 likes this.

16. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Anyone else fear rosewood necks will wear out faster?

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My perception has always been that the more open-grain rosewood feels slightly grittier when you fret and bend notes compared to the smooth glassiness of the tighter-grained maple. That might be because I never oiled my rosewood fretboards though! (never knew I was supposed to 'til I was reading a thread on this board a few weeks ago). Never thought fretboard material made any difference in tone.

18. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2012
    Tidewater Virginia
    I like them both but after years of horse tradin' guitars and stuff I've ended up with 1 Rosewood tele (and oldy), a maple classic 50, and a maple Jimmy Vaughn strat.

I like them both. Tone wise I guess the maple is a bit brighter. But one thing I have grown to understand is that maple is really hard, easy to get, and is not endangered. So yeah, all things considered, I'd go with maple as a good choice.

19. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

20. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I like maple on Teles and both on Strats

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.