Maple necks - fretboard lacquer question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by _Presto_, Jun 24, 2019.

1. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Quick one which should be easy for you guys:

Re: the lacquer used on maple neck teles in the 50's - did this change over time? I'm assuming it did, but haven't found a clear answer. (pun intended)

i.e. particularly on fretboards - did it get applied thicker on late 50s whiteguards vs. early blackguards?

Thanks!

2. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

I’ve read in the various Fender books that the formulas for finishes did vary in the early years. The thickness of the finish also varied, depending on who was spraying that day. I’ve also read that modern nitro is different than the nitro of the 50s. I’ve never seen a modern nitro neck wear like the 50s Fenders. There are experts here that could probably tell you a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Modern Nitro has plasticisers in it so they don't check and are not brittle when hardened. This wasn't the case back in the day. However, the quality of the clearcoat also have an influence on how the guitar appear over time. The early Broadcasters had a very cheap nitro clear coat, resulting in the checking you see on these guitars. The quality changed over time which resulted in less checking and eventually less yellowing. Thickness is another factor, but in general the coats applied were thin.

4. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

OK thanks.

Almost all the blackguards I've seen and played have had significant fretboard wear. I have a '59 Esquire though with it's lacquer intact - but it looks like a pretty thick coat. It also might be coincidence - but some of the other '59s I've seen have shown less fretboard wear also (just some, not all).

I was just wondering if the lacquer might have been applied thicker (or it changed) in the late 50's.

5. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

6. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Thanks! That was a great read....was mainly focused on body finishes though and no so much on necks. Hopefully some of the guys form the other thread jump in with the answers though. Lots of knowledge on here!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.