Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mangling a perfectly serviceable tele--caution: humbucker content

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SweetClyde99, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    So I love playing my modded, refinished Squier CVC tele, but I was getting tired of struggling to find a high gain tone I was happy with. I tried both the SD stack designs--pretty different but both good for what they are. I then tried the Dimarzio Tone Zone T--much better high gain tone, but still not 100% in terms of a convincing humbucker sound. I used it for over a year and it was fine, but I saw a picture of Kurt Cobain's modded HH tele and that got me wondering what I was missing.

Long story short(ish), I went from this (I had the Duncan Hot Stack installed here): IMG_4109.JPG

To this:
    IMG_4142.JPG

It's a Duncan Full Shred I had lying around. The guitar is routed for a neck humbucker, but I thought I'd try the HS thing for a while. I really don't care much for neck humbuckers anyway.

reddy2300 and ndeli55 like this.

2. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Some pictures of the process.

If anyone has any questions, I'll gladly walk you through any of them.
    IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4125.JPG

2blue2 and Barncaster like this.

3. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    Nice work, looks factory, classy looking colour scheme too.....very nice!...

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I can dig it. I'm gearing up for a tele build. This is definitely inspiration

SweetClyde99 likes this.

5. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Thanks. I would have been happy with the original sunburst the CVC came in, but the previous owner "reliced" it into oblivion. He sanded off the squier decal and didn't bother clear costing it so there was just this gross dirty spot in the headstock. He also beat up the body, then painted over thr original finish with rough-looking flat black spray paint he got from Walmart. He didn't bother clear coating that either.

Anyway, the new paint color is one of the Duplicolor options they have at Auto Zone. Something dark gray and metallic. I wish I remembered the name as I really like it and want to take another stab at refinishing it one of these days since this was my first attempt and it could have gone better.

6. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    I appreciate the kind words. This is the Kurt Cobain guitar I was talking about--i.e., my sort-of inspiration:
    IMG_4149.jpg

I think the bridge is pretty similar, though mine cost me $9.00 on eBay, and I believe his came from Stew Mac, so it was probably five or six times as expensive. His also had a JB in the bridge and I think a Gibson 57 in the neck. Something Gibson and PAFish anyway.

ndeli55 likes this.

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Your refin looks good, I'd be happy with that for a first attempt but I guess cameras can be flattering at times, my blue thing's finish doesn't look as good in person but it does it's job and it plays and sounds good.

When will people learn that squiers are good enough and don't need their decals stripping and are better for having them... I too have bought a squier which has had it's decal removed and a fender one stuck in it's place with the grubbiest finish placed over it. That went and I put my own custom decal in it's place, I also replaced the pickups with some p90s and did some other stuff with the electronics. Couldn't be happier, it's the strat in the back of my signature pre customization.

8. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    I hear you. I actually tried to get a decal from Squier to replace the one that had been sanded off, and they said I'd have to go to an authorized Fender dealer to have it inspected, etc. before they would issue it. That seemed a bit excessive to me, since I can't imagine a ton of people attempting to counterfeit Squiers, and I never went through with it. I've thought about adding a custom decal to the headstock and may go through with it one of these days, but the Tele headstock is small enough that it doesn't look bad blank.

9. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    The big CBS era start headstock om the other hand looked weird to me, I'll have to get a pic for you ;)

10. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England

11. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Wow. That turned out great. Did you make it yourself? Any chance you'd be willing to do a thread detailing the process?

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Very nice. Wonder how the hot stack would sound in the neck.

13. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    remember what I said about the camera being flattering? It's still not done, the finish is uneven and needs block sanding next time I change strings. There are some great threads out there on diy decals and installing them and the results are far better than my quick and nasty satin clear our of a rattle can. It was basically a sand, decal transfer and spray. I didn't make my own decal I got it from rothko and frost but I've started making some for my day pedal's and even then I'm using vinyl for the base colours because I hate dealing with laquer and paints.

14. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'd avoid posting counterfeit decals on the forum, there's rules forbidding and the moderators don't take it lightly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
    YALCaster likes this.

15. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    That's interesting. There is an HB route under the pickguard. I wonder if I could twist the hot stack around enough to fit that baseplate in there.

16. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Counterfeit decal, real Squier. Seems like kind of a wash. It's not a standard though.

17. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I don't think there's a massive issue with putting a squier logo on a squier it's that now the thread shares info on where to buy counterfeit decals which is against the rules. I think it's mainly to avoid the forum running into issues with the likes of fender and gibson who take trademark law seriously.

edit: From the forum rules page,

Do not post about buying. selling or finding trademarked items such as counterfeit guitars, guitar products or decals. Nor may you post links to any such counterfeit goods. This creates legal issues for our website and we do not wish to promote these illegal items on our sites.

18. SweetClyde99

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    No, that's more than fair. I was mostly kidding anyway. The steps I would've had to take to get a real Squier decal did seem a bit excessive though.

19. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    That's why I went the custom route. I think having something unique on there is cool as well, its an affinity model too so it would have been a cheap black transfer on there rather than a nice gold decal. That said I would have still kept the squier logo if it was there when I bought the guitar but it did look blank after I removed the fake fender logo.

20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Have you tried a Mini HB in a Tele ala Hot Rod. I feel the same about full size HB at the neck, Lord knows I've tried...
    But I have several Teles with mini HB neck, variety of bridge Tele SC at the bridge. Even a few Bridge Blades/stacks et al.
    I like the time I have taken a SC Stack bridge and diddled the coils to parallel. That is strong/bold/power. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.