Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JamesVRoy, Jun 14, 2013.

1. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

Nov 7, 2005
    Mingya Valley
    I went to see this last night at a midnight showing. I saw the ad for it on FB yesterday and thought, why not. I even paid the $17.25 to see it in IMAX 3D. Have to say I thought the movie was fantastic.
    The theater had it on 4 screens and the IMAX one was a little over half full with almost 200 people. I think just about everyone there except myself was wearing some type of Superman swag, t-shirt or hat. Saw one guy with a cape even. Strange geeky, but fun crowd. One guy walked in with a Batman shirt, I thought they'd make him sit next to me.
    I'll likely see it again real soon, though either regular 2D or 3D.
  2. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    The reviews have not been too good but I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for the tip.
  3. Um, I wear my Batman T-shirt most Thursdays.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    I'll probably see this one at the drive in with my sons later in the summer
  6. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's

I think I'll wait for the DVD/BluRay. And then only if it is on sale at a good price.
  7. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Everything pales in comparison to this guy the original

Attached Files:

8. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2010
    London England
    It seems strangely dull...just like the last Superman movie...tho it had good parts...usually when nobody was talking! I will check out the new one though.
  9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    It looks like a "Transformers" movie or the latest "Star Trek," where the audience is numbed by a bombardment of frantic CGI action, and everything happens so fast, with so little sense of real consequence, that the viewer flatlines emotionally.
  10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    It's written and produced by the same people who did the Dark Knight movies, so I expect it to be very good.

As far as CGI, it's a movie about a humanoid alien who can spin mountains on his little finger while flying through the air. If the CGI is good, it just helps suspend disbelief. Of course, the story and acting has to be there.
  11. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I loved the first Superman movie but since then the genre has been done and over done. I've had enough comic book movies.
  12. I thought it was about buddy emmons.
  13. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks to the googless, I know who Buddy Emmon is. Everyday I try to learn something.
    I can now check that off and start drinking.
  14. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    Same here!!!!! One of my earliest memories is when I was three years old and wore a diaper ( cloth) safety pinned around my neck for a cape . I would climb up on my mom's cedar chest and jump off, pretending to be Superman. I watched these old black and whites in awe. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, it's Superman!!!!!:lol: :lol::lol:
  15. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Was your nickname sh**head?
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    A couple of guys I knew got to drinking at our local watering hole, as they were leaving, one of them stood up as tall as he good, roared with a growl, then hollered I'm a werewolf. Quick as a wink without faltering old Mike shouts, oh yea, I'm superman, and pow hits Mr. Werewolf right in the kisser and knocks him out cold. It don't pay to mess with Superman.
  17. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    I was kinda disappointed. They spent too much time on him rolling around with the general . Lois Lane went from a beat reporter to riding on a Alien space ship and fighting them. And yeah there were some strange people there . I was thre with my two sons, these people were alone and dressed up staring at the screen like some kind of escape. I'm sorry that's just dangerous. The Batman remakes were great. This one fell way short IMO.
  18. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    No need to be rude here. I could ask if your is a**hole? :D
  19. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2010

I feel the same way about romantic comedies but they keep makin' 'em. Thing is, you may not dig it but speaking as a comic book fan, this is a pretty fantastic time. I grew up in decades where there were either no comic or sci-fi movies being made or they were few, far between and of pretty low quality. The Christopher Reeve "Superman" and "Superman II" were probably the only tolerable comic book movies made in the '70s, and then it was another ten years before the Tim Burton Batman movie. And after the first two of those, that series fell apart. (Not to mention the embarrassing years where the only good sci-fi films were all Arnold Schwarzenegger movies...) It really wasn't until the first X-Men movie (eight years after the last good Batman film)and the Sam Raimi Spiderman that we started to get a sense that Hollywood was figuring out how to do it right, and consistently. Now it's a pretty good feast we can sit down to, even if we have to choke down the occasional "Green Lantern" or the Ang Lee "Hulk" (or, sad to say, the last two Spiderman films). We've really never had it so good.

Hollywood goes in phases. We were inundated with Westerns in the 50s, and people probably got pretty sick of those. Haven't seen many lately. Maybe they're due for a comeback. When they do come back, I'll be happy for all the Westerns fans. And the comic-book movie phase will end soon enough. You could be good enough to let us comic fans have our brief time in the sun.
  20. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Mar 2, 2004
    Nor Cal
    I think it might just be me, but CGI just doesn't cut it when it comes to suspending disbelief for me and pushes me out of the "reality" of a movie instantly. Even when it's used judiciously, my brain sees it and rejects it. All these CGI nightmares seem like a Hollywood addiction that as a rule, reject the notion of quality writing in favor of computer images that the film makers are sure will "wow" us. Last good CGI movie was Tron.

There..I said it :)
  21. gemktm

gemktm Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2009
    CT USA
    I enjoyed it. But I am easily pleased at movies like this since I go for the visual treat, to see some creative/imaginative stuff played out.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.