Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Malware/Phishing ad on this site?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by beninma, Feb 1, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I've only noticed this if I pull the website up on my phone but this is concerning.

I've been seeing behavior where I will get redirected directly from this site to a phishing/adware site that claims I've won a prize on Amazon.

Is this an ad the site is serving or something else?

I have an ad blocker/script blocker on both my phone & computer specifically to limit my exposure to risks/attacks like this, it's possible it's doing this on the computer as well but the ad blocker works better. The stuff on the phone just doesn't work that well.

Some of the TDPRI ads I allow to come through (top bar of ads) and are fine, but I'm not comfortable whitelisting the site completely if this is the kind of ad the site is serving. Ads that take over the entire browser and actually navigate you away from TDPRI without you even clicking on them are not at all OK IMO and will keep me using an ad blocker. If it happened every time I'd have to stop using the site. I'm also open to the possibility that this is not an ad and something else is going on.

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Haven't had it happen to me....yet.

3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I've had that happen and only when using a mobile device. Not sure if it really is this site though, as I've had it happen on other sites too. Delete your cookies, cache and history and it should be cleared up.

4. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Worst case scenario: Could be malware on your phone . . . does this happen with any other sites? Make sure you don't download any shady apps from Google Play or the App store and do not sideload apps because they are not vetted and can contain malware. If you completely restore the phone from factory settings that should clean it. I would try running some antivirus first and se what it comes up with. Also go through your "application manager" under settings on Android and delete any unnecessary apps.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I'm 99% sure this is not malware that's infected the phone. It's specific to TDPRI. No one would ever take the time to write malware that infects Safari on iOS and only triggers when you visit TDPRI.

darkwaters and 6stringcowboy like this.

6. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Only this site, fairly frequently. Have to close the window, start again. Comes back after a while.

Edited to add it only happens on mobile devices.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018

7. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    interesting, ive not gotten any thing like that

8. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

I just got it as soon as I opened the page

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Have had the same issue in the past. I use an app to view the forum, but occasionally connect via a browser and search engine. Only occurs while using the latter. It's been reported in the past.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I'll add that I visit dozens of websites daily on this device and this site is one of the only ones I've run across this issue.

I also have experienced it on an app for a completely unrelated forum and they indicated it was a known issue (to them) with an ad service they use.

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Only to add for troubleshooting but I get that fairly often but only on iPhone and only when on cellular instead of wifi.

Never any other situation.

12. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Another that gets it on the phone regularly

13. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    This site has been hacked. It's not using https anymore , which is secure encrypted data transmission protocol that prevents malware installation and redirects to other sites. It allows the hackers to install eavesdropping software to steal any passwords/personal information on the site or sent to the tdpri.com server.

14. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Happened to me on my iPad around Christmas time. Only ever this site, redirected to some Amazon prize. Ain’t happened for a while to me though.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    beninma, Apple or Android ?

16. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.

17. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Android device here, I agree this is occurring mobile only and is specific to this site and no others that I personally visit.

If you block popups via Chrome, which I reckon it default, then you'll get a blocked notification only. But if popups are enabled or an exception is added for this site, new tabs open regularly and a spam lady will congratulate you.

As to why mobile and not desktop, I would speculate that my desktop ad blocker might be helping. Or, it's related to mobile-only ads.

Either way I'm sure it's the ads pushing these popups out.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.