Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Malcolm Young's other Gretsch guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. rat66

rat66 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Australia

I just started reading the Bon Scott biography "Highway to Hell", and there is a quote from Angus, that goes something like "We're just five midgets makin' a big noise"

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    even Brian is a little guy. to give you an idea how little they all are..around :56

Phil Rudd towers over everyone and hes like 5'7" lol
    warning there might be swearing in this...or just kings english? ron wood: "***licker!"

3. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Pound for pound Mal and Angus are the best guitar players in the world.;)

4. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Great thread! lets keep it going.
    Huge , Huge Malcolm fan here.

Rhythm .. like an atomic clock.

[​IMG]

Cool as... Hot as...

5. The Revolution

The Revolution Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2013
    Darwin Australia
    He is the ACDC sound, anyone can scrape, klang, squeel and squawk over the top like Angus does (well not anyone..) but thats just the windows and ceiling, roof and doors, and bat ornaments...Malcolm is the 4 walls that hold the house up and he hits you like a ton of bricks.

6. Rich H

Rich H Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Here's Malcolm's original 1973 L-6S as it is today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squittolo likes this.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

What? None of the full sized White Falcon. I thought this was the biggest guitar in the world when I saw him playing it when I was a kid (I think on the Hells Bells video). Of course I realised later that he is built like a hobbit:

[​IMG]

8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

My guitar teacher used to tour Aussie with his own band in the 60's and early 70's. He told me that they used to do the odd tour with ACDC, I think around 1970. Mostly playing covers at that stage.

He said they used to play so loud it was unbearable and that his band used to tell them, "you guys could be really good but for gods sake turn down. You wont get anywhere until you do!"

He gave me one of their old tour posters that had 3-4 bands on the bill and sure enough ACDC is listed.

Another ACDC thing I thought was interesting was on a documentary about a really great Aussie band called "Powderfinger".

They said early on in their career they toured (probably supported) ACDC and that they taught them how to improve their guitar sound by cranking the amps quite high but to roll back the volume on the guitar just a bit....clarifying/confirming to me at least the high gain but clear sound that ACDC have that is so great.

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I DID name that guitar in the OP but over the years the pictures I used have vanished from the net and thus this thread.

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Oh right -- did seem like a strange omission -- sorry for that. It's back now though.

This is where I first saw it -- looked like a guy trying to play a strapped-on double bass to me at the time:

11. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    It would appear that Malcolm's replacement Stevie isn't going to break the mold here guitar-wise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    People have been speculating that Stevie is also playing Malcolm's iconic guitar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But look a little closer, it isn't the same one.
    Malcolm's iconic Gretch has three switch knobs on the upper bout and the knobs of Malcolm's guitar were situated in a straight line and not like Stevie's in a curve. Note also that Stevie's guitar has a mounting ring around the pickup.
    [​IMG]

No Stevie is not rocking Malcolm's old guitar here, it simply wouldn't be right for anybody other than Malcolm to rock that guitar.

Squittolo likes this.

12. spiderx

spiderx TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2015
    USA
    Found this one of Mal checking another gretsch out. Not sure what gretsch it is tho? Anyone?[​IMG]

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Malcolm no longer plays live with the band. Angus has stated on youtube that he cannot remember the chord sequences he wrote due to advancing mental deterioration ( don't know the name of his illness).

It is hinted at in the documentary that it was brought on by his drinking where he would literally wake up and raise a bottle on a daily basis since he was young.

Sad as he was a great talent.

14. spiderx

spiderx TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2015
    USA
    The medical term of Mal's disease is dementia which leads to alzhiemers disease. I really wonder if his drinking really brought it on tho. Im not saying it couldnt or didnt but my grandmother never drank alcohol and got dementia.From what I understand dementia can hit you even when youre in your 40's or earlier. Terrible disease and even harder on the others in the family. God Bless Mal & all of this family and relatives. Its tough to watch someone go thru something like this. Im a huge fan of his.

15. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2015
    SC
    Just lost my mother to Demintia. I have always been confused if Alzheimers and Dementia were the same thing. I've been told they are the same but I have my doubts.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    FWIW, Mal has been sober since 1988.

Squittolo likes this.

17. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    I just noticed, this Duo Jet Stevie is playing is a left handed one with a master volume fitted where the toggle used to sit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.