Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Malcolm Young's other Gretsch guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I read that Malcom played a few leads on some of the earlier records but will never say which.

The recent-ish Malcom Young model Gretsches are really nice guitars.

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    For some reason I just can't imagine Angus jumping around on stage wearing a Stingray, for some reason it just won't work.

As for Cliff using a Stingray bass, I have no problem with that, he's still using them today.

3. Kristoffer

Kristoffer TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Sweden
    And not one of 'em look happy... :)

4. gnolivos

gnolivos Tele-Meister

May 26, 2009
    USA
    LOL to that! Was thinking the same thing.

And yes, Malcolm is THE MAN. Im still trying to acquire a MY II, but they are discontinued...!

5. PrimeA71

PrimeA71 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I think I just saw that photo of Malcolm w/ a tele. In one of the demo's for Wampler's "plexi-drive" they breifly show it. On another interesting note, I just read that he used a Butterscotch Fender Tele on the 1978(Let there be rock) tour. I'd love to track some of that footage down to A/B the differance between the Gretch and telecaster tone. My guess would be his tone would've been a bit more biting for sure.:D

Here's that demo, the photo of Malcolm with the tele is at 1:04......http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MZO_gxOuCj8

6. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Well here's Malcolm playing the tele, according to a nineties AC/DC interview both Young brothers used this tele (which had a Humbucker at the bridge) as their back up for many years, so there's bound to be pictures of Angus playing that tele too.

Attached Files:

7. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Add my voice to the chorus chanting MALCOLM! MALCOLM! MALCOLM! One of the greatest guitarists in rock 'n' roll IMO.

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    in a recent interview with Brian Johnson on "That Metal Show" Brian stated that Malcolm plays with such power and intensity that he goes through picks like wood through a chipper. HA!

9. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Malcolm Young: one of the best right hands in the business.

10. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    When i was a kid I always thought SG's must be huge guitars. Seeing Angus play them they looked enormous. You're right, Malcolm and Angus are little men with huge sound.

CC

11. PrimeA71

PrimeA71 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I also read about the Young Bro's sharing a tele for a backup guitar. I'm thinking the tele Malcolm is holding "might not" be the same though. Apparently the backup guitar had a PAF in the bridge position and a Gretsch filtertron pup in the neck. The tele he's holding has a typical tele neck pup, so it's either a differant instrument altogether or the pups have been changed.

Here's another vid with a pic of the tele from a slightly differant angle:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAtydoo3AI&feature=player_detailpage

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

12. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the link Shorty, I didn't know about those Jay Dee guitars.
    [​IMG]
    A bigger picture of Malcolm's custom JayDee guitars backstage.

In the meantime I also found a site which mentions all the other guitars Malcolm has used over the years and pictures of them.

He had a very nice Black Falcon and an equally nice silver jet for the "Black ice" tour
    [​IMG]

Malcolm's main Gretsch Jet Firebird and a Duo Jet and two Jet Firebirds as back ups. All of them with matching modifications.
    [​IMG]

I saw that my picture of Malcolm with his white Falcon is no longer online, so here's another of him playing it.
    [​IMG]

And here he is playing a White Falcon Junior.
    [​IMG]

But there's also pictures of him playing non-Gretsch guitars too, such as this Strat.
    [​IMG]

And check out this crazy Dano with Tele pickups.
    [​IMG]

A Gibson L6S
    [​IMG]

13. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

Mar 2, 2012
    Australia

14. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Jul 27, 2006
    offline and IRL
    :eek:
    Malcolm with a Strat and Angus with a 335; a Roland JC behind Angus... the world has just stopped revolving:D

The amp on the right of the photo may well be some 70s Aussie horror like a Vase or a Lenard or even a WASP.

15. lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    What model pickup is in malcolm youngs peresonal gretsch jet firebird. i know it is a TV jones but is it the classic or classic plus?

16. Gilby

Gilby Tele-Meister

Great thread ! Cheers folks

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    this is Mal playing lead. also interesting they use reverb on this album.

i read he used a tele for the second leg on the 1977 tour.

there is a point in this vid (around 4:00) when keef goes over to mal and it looks to me like keef is trying to get mal to solo but he wont do it.

and here he is doubling angus' single noted riff (on a Gibby) the closest we'll get to him playing lead live

18. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    somewhereville
    ya gotta love those little...rockin' elves..

19. Bohdan

Bohdan Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2010
    Ontario
    Killer sparkle Duo Jet!! HIWATT!!!??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.