Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Malcolm Young's other Gretsch guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Young's iconic Gretsch, stripped, and with a Leo Quann badass bridge (although judging from the most recent AC/DC footage, he actually had the Burns vibrato and the Gretsch Rollerbridge put back in place) and of course not forgetting the holes where the neck pickup and a middle pickup sat. The guitar had a pickguard covering the holes for a while but Young liked the sound he got when the pickguard was left off.

It's kinda funny that he's stuck with playing his battered Jet Firebird and that it's look has become iconic that we tend to overlook that he owes other guitars as well.
    [​IMG]
    This one for example is a similar guitar to his well known Jet but seeing as this one never had a middle pickup installed, it lacks the hole, it also has a different kind of bridge. It's probably his spare guitar, modified to look like his main one.

[​IMG]
    Young playing a lovely Gretsch Chet Atkins Round up, aside from this picture I haven't found any information about this guitar and when he used it.

Which is not the case with the next one on the list.
    [​IMG]
    This Stereo model White Falcon is a well documented and much used guitar which saw action on the "Back in black" and "For those about to rock" tours. After it got "fixed" it apparently lost its MOJO and Young sold it off at a rock star auction.

Any guitars I overlooked here?

2. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Young and his Jet firebird when the guitar still had it's original red color. This picture also shows the added humbucker middle pickup and the original neck pickup still in place.

[​IMG]
    The same guy playing the same guitar 40+ years later, as I stated before, he actually had the Burns vibrato put back on the guitar.

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Dec 30, 2005
    Liberal Lakes
    I think Malcom is so dang cool. What a great job he has- being the brains behind ac/dc, wanking out crazy open chord rhythm guitar and hanging in the back. Plus he kicked booze.
    I have a healthy respect for him.

4. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

Sep 3, 2004
    Greenville, Rhode Island
    Nice research Blazer ! I'm a big Malcom fan , He has to be one of rocks most underrated guitarists . I really like that photo of him with the White Falcon (?) , I've never seen him play that . ..

5. TeleMark

TeleMark Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2003
    Prescott, AZ
    Yep, he's such an integral part of the AC/DC sound. In that shot of the White Falcon it looks like he's playing a bass... Little guy with a monster sound!

6. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Angus has said time and time again that AC/DC is the sum of it's parts. Malcolm actually asked Angus to play lead back in the beginning because he felt he had more stage presence, not due to skill. Malcolm is easily one of the most overlooked rhythm players of our time. His riffs are right up there with Keef.

7. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    I believe he also uses a Marshall bass amp to get his sound.His pickup is a TV Jones Filtertron.His strings are 11s or 12s.

8. bassbuster33

bassbuster33 Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2007
    Oregon
    I wish I could find it online, but there is a photo of Malcolm playing a white Telecaster in the photo booklet included with the Plug Me In DVD set.

AC/DC are pretty quiet about the gear that they use, but everything I have read in regards to amplification points to Marshall Plexi's. Despite what gets frequently posted, Malcolm himself says he rarely turns it up past 2 on the dial. Malcom has a very nice collection of vintage Marshall's.

Angus is most often tied to Plexi's and JTM-45's.

9. serialsteve

serialsteve Tele-Holic

May 14, 2003
    Malcolm IS rock rhythm guitar. I learned to play guitar to "Highway to Hell" pretty much. Was a step up from Kiss (well, 1/2 step literally-Kiss was always tuned down). Put my chord books to use and it really made me a much better rhythm player than I might have been otherwise.

10. Derek S

Derek S Former Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Great thread! MALCOLM MALCOLM MALCOLM!!

What a fantastic rhythm player. One of the best in the biz.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Well, hard rock anyways, for me. Kinda defines the Lester through a Marshall crunch thing, with some clarity, But apparently without the LP (or PAF) part of the equation.

Whatever he's doing, it works. Gretsches are cool too!

I'm not sure how unsung he is really, but yeah, he's a joy to listen to. His brother ain't bad either, but Malcolm's actually the Young brother that gets my attention most often.

I may have a lead on a ticket up or grabs at their show here in a couple weeks. Wish me luck.

Cheers,
    Geoff

12. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia

13. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2004
    Perth Western Australia
    Highway to Hell may very well be the most rocking riff ever....Malcom was THE reason for me picking up guitar.I love how he's such a small dude - the white falcon almost dwarfs him :cool:

14. Freedom Fries

Freedom Fries Former Member

May 13, 2003
    Schwanson, MO
    Judging by the times I've seen 'em, Mal and Ang both work their volume knobs quite a bit.
    Mal's sound ranges from clean to a little hairy.

15. insombob

insombob Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2003
    never realized just how much he looks like steve marriott. especially in those early pics. another big gretsch guy... (or... another little gretsch guy).

16. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands

AC/DC "Gone Shootin' " live 1996

Malcolm's tone is clean while Angus' roars.

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Does Malcolm ever play lead for public consumption?

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    To quote his younger brother: "Mal is too lazy for that, playing leads interferes with his drinking"

19. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Oct 5, 2008
    nashville
    Angus is a phenomenal player, but Malcolm's been my man ever since I found it he was the one who came up with the riffs that drive the songs.

20. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

Sep 3, 2004
    Greenville, Rhode Island
    Here's an old photo of the boys with Music Man guitars (?)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.