Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Making a neck with a ROSS?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by xardoz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Are there any good tutorials or build threads that feature using a ROSS to make the neck (minus the truss rod routing, of course)? There's a lot of talk about using one, but I can't seem to find a specific write up on it.

It looks like I'll be receiving one for my birthday in a couple of weeks, and what with the 2013 challenge hopefully coming soon, I'd like to hit the ground running.

Thanks!

2. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

3. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Sweet! Thanks, I didn't think of searching Youtube directly, I just did a google "ROSS neck site:tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/" search instead.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

That's what I would have done, too -- I just happened to
    remember seeing a video, and fortunately was able to
    find it in right away.

Have fun with your ROSS! I haven't used mine to do complete
    neck shaping, but have used it for most of the work on
    the transitions, and have also thinned a too-thick neck
    with it.

6. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I only use the ROSS in shaping the peghead and the corners of the heel. Everything else is done with a farrier's rasp, a half-round rasp and sandpaper by hand. Interestingly enough, I use the sanding drums from the ROSS to hand-sand the transitions etc. :D

I've tried using the ROSS to shape, I found it was easier just do do it by hand. It takes longer, but its a much more forgiving process.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

I would think sanding the neck like that in the video would produce a lot more low spots to have to sand out by hand..guess it is all in the technique and how fussy you are.

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Friend of Leo's

Yes - this is exactly what I would say too. Those drums are amazing for hand sanding - or on the end of a steel rod. I make full use of the ROSS, but I only use it when it's the best tool, which for me is shaping the head.

9. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

At work right now, so I'll watch this later. I carved my first neck with a Shinto "planer" rasp (LOVE this tool!) and other files, but I'm thinking the ROSS will be good for the transitions and the heel. Body shaping, too, methinks, and for getting rough cuts sized close for routing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.