Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Make your own B/G-Bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by bigDschramm, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

Does anyone here make their own Benders? Are there any plans available?

2. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

3. telemaster1953

telemaster1953 Tele-Holic

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bender GUY

Bender GUY TDPRI Member

hey man man i build and install glaser style benders i could help you with a kit you could install your self P.m me if you are interested

6. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

Do you have a web site for your benders?

7. ForrestLeeJr

ForrestLeeJr Tele-Meister

I know many of us make our own benders here on TDPRI.

I have refrained from selling kits for the same reason Gene did years ago.
    It's not an easy process and can ruin a perfectly good guitar if it's not done correctly.
    I bought a kit from Gene back in 1988 and I butchered my guitar, but made it work. This was after years of trying to make my own, and also using the Hipshot for years.

I remember he stopped selling them so I called Meridian Green (his wife) and got the parts. At one time he sold the bender kit in Stewart Macdonald catalogs for $350. This was in the mid 80's.

A little history on me... I started playing lead guitar for my dad when I was 11 years old. By the time I was "legal" to play in bars, I was a bender guy (1986) but I could never afford a real bender (PW). So I experimented with any and all ways to make one. I got the hipshot and rolled with it for a couple years even tho it wasn't really what I needed.

I tried to design at least 10 different benders and broke 1000 strings in the process. Its pretty easy to make one work, but for how long before something goes bad is the question. And I was a teenager. Not able to think it through completely.

A couple are probably still in use from years ago. Mike Britt form Lonestar ended up with one I traded to Richard, the owner at Tusculum Music in Nashville. I think he's still got it.

But check this out.
    I took a 1/4" volume pot and drilled a hole through the neck plate. Used the pot shaft and the nut and shoulder to make a Glasure style many moons ago.
    The pull arm was basically modeled after my pedal steel finger... slotted.
    I used a dremel tool to cut the middle section out of a USA Tele bridge saddle and attached my mini pedal steel finger with a 1/16" pin.

Johnny Hiland got that guitar in 1986. I used to pick him up at his apartment and we'd tool around in my Camaro... Oh the good times of 90's Nashville! Ray Flack, Redd, Johnny, Me, Randy Kohrs, Jimmy Yeary... thats was a fun time to play on Broadway! Anyway Johnny wanted it and I said OK brother... but he had a hard time stringing it. So It now lives in Spokane WA with Daryn Edgemon.

Redd told me once that he made one with a volume pot as well. Redd? Correct me if I'm wrong brother.
    I got the impression he did it with the actual knob side which is 3/4" and perfect size for a PW style "turn" bender.

Anyway,
    I made a few back then that I didn't want Joe to see because I thought he might get mad at me. But really it was a basic steel guitar design... McVey does the same thing... Its based on a pedal steel finger. Not rocket science but a pain in the ass to make unless you mass produce them.

Guys who use benders, are gadget guys by default. I'm sure you will invent something awesome. But,

if you need some stock parts to make a bender... well, as much as I want you to create something new and innovative yourself, I will supply you with what you need. I'll be in England picking and singing for the next 2 weeks (finally got my own tour!) then I'm in Texas for a radio tour and a clinic. But when I get back home I'll hook you up.

8. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Home brew b bender

Here's one I made recently.

Attached Files:

9. telemaster1953

telemaster1953 Tele-Holic

Redd helped me finish mine, back on 7/31/11 i went to the continental club to see Junior Brown and Redd play and i took my tele for them to sign, while i was talking to Redd he saw the hole i drilled through my tele and asked if it was for a bender? so i told him how i had tried to make one but was stuck, so he told me "try using a tele knob" the next day i had my bender finished.

so if you read this Redd thanks a million,:grin: i'm going to try and see you play again in a month or two.

10. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

Just to hijack for just a minute:

Threads like this one are the reason I frequent TDPRI. I love the amount of knowledge available and how everyone here, regardless of experience level, are all equals and treated that way.

And now back to or regularly scheduled programming....

Sent from my Galaxy 500 using TDPRI

11. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

There is no need to butcher a guitar to make your own B-bender. Get all your parts together after all of your research and lay out some pics of what others have done. Then make yourself a surrogate scrap wood "guitar" and tweak your design until you're comfortable enough that you aren't scared to drill holes in your guitar. You could even buy a $50 guitar at a pawn shop and mount it in there until you're t-totally 100% sure you won't mangle your nice Fender guitar. I put mine in a self made body so I didn't have to worry about resale value or anything like that.

Put some time and research into it and you'll be able to make a perfectly functional bender for easily under $50.

12. one-must-tele

one-must-tele TDPRI Member

hello every one. Looks like this chat went a little quiet. I am looking for the kits of b -Bender preferably a b/g Bender I'm still a little new at this forum getting used to the mobile application

13. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

my $23 home made one.

You use the forearm small platform. Very ergonomic. No snob appeal here.
    Proleteriat appeal! hehehe
    And I bet some of the classier DIY'ers could refine it etc. and do it justice:

14. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

bigDschramm,
    I'm not sure if your still interested, but I made 2 homemade B benders back in '95. One in a red Peavey Reactor, which I traded for something, after a while. And one for my friend Bobby O. His was in a white Fender Tele (MIC I think). Bobby O., are you out there ?
    I used some 3/8" round aluminum for a upper bout strap lever, in a recessed cavity, a section of all thread under the pick guard, and another lever under the bridge, made from 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle. They worked very well, but I wanted the real thing.
    So I got the USA Fender B-Bender in '96, and have loved her since.
    If you want, I can copy my lay out, that I kept, and mail it to you. Just PM me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I have a First Act tele I'm either going to mount a Bigsby on, or create a home made bender and install it. I'm thinking that a palm lever B-bender would be easy enough to build without having to rout the back of the body. Has anyone done this with a hard tail top loader?

16. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Tele-Meister

Paging Dr. Hayes to the Bender forum

17. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

HOBBSTER01, that looks awesome.
    It looks like you could pull the B or G. Does it work with either?

18. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

After checking out some YouTube videos, I'm going for a DIY Hipshot B bender clone. I'm pretty sure I can build one without too much difficulty, and it should work with the original bridge on my ME302.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.