Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Major upgrade?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jason hawks, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jason hawks

jason hawks TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2012
    lafayette, tennessee
    I'm thinking about putting a set of Slash Duncan's in my '72 thinline reissue. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. ogion

ogion TDPRI Member

May 5, 2011
    Australia
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I say go for it.

3. jason hawks

jason hawks TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2012
    lafayette, tennessee
    Anyone bought a pickguard for a 72 reissue from Warmoth? I have bought several for regular Telecasters over the years and never had any problem. Just wondered about the 72 pickguards because there's a disclaimer that says they're only for Warmoth bodies and not meant to retro fit your guitar.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    I think Slash is one of the few players who actually gets a true, traditional Les Paul sound these days. Most other Les Pauls sound like Gibsons but seem to be a wound a bit hotter which seems to negate the wood's contribution to the sound. I think the Slash pickups are an important part of the equation.

They won't make your Tele sound like a Les Paul, but I'll bet they help to bring out the inhernent sound of your guitar.

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    Will the pickups fit? Doesn't yours have the wider WR humbuckers?

7. jason hawks

jason hawks TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2012
    lafayette, tennessee
    Yeah, I was going to change the pickguard to a Warmoth. Still don't know if it will fit tho.

8. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Just get some modded or replacement WRHBs (Lollar, Novax etc)... If you want an LP get an LP, but IMO the WRHB (when done right) is the better sounding of the two types of Humbuckers (LP's do great "chug" but I prefer the articulation and variety the WRHB guitar has).

I play a 72 Deluxe RI with modded pickups and it is AMAZING. If you haven't done the 500K pot mod do that first then ship'm to Telenator and have him do CuNiFe pole pieces... IMHO Seth did it best the second time around.

YMMV

Cheers

Dave

9. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    California
    Honestly, if you are trying to sound like slash or make your tele sound like a les paul, no. If you are doing it for a tone change, why not try it? I also would reccomend toneriders. I just put a pair of single coils in my tele and I know they get great reviews for their humbuckers. Either way, best of luck with your choice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.