Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

{\ Major Telemma /}

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mowgli5555, Jul 1, 2017.

1. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Alright...

So, earlier this year, I purchased a Fender Japan 70's Telecaster in a walnut finish. One thing that bothered me was a haze to the finish that aged terribly.
    The body is a 3 piece (ash?? pine?), not quite beautifully matched, but I still really liked it. The body had dings, scratches, and just never caught my eye while playing.
    It plays great, and has such a solid snap, something just had to be done.

Yesterday, I tried sanding a little bit of the clear coat, and polishing it back up. The haze never went away.
    On the sides it looked so bad. Milky as ****. Maybe it would have looked interesting on a white finish or something, but not here.
    The finish was polyurethane, and it usually wouldn't bother me too much.

However, this time, I am going to finish in nitrocellulose lacquer. Should I stay with a traditional Fender color, or try something new?
    For some reason, I had a form of wine red, or cherry in my head that might look clean.
    If I went with something custom, I would shoot the body and neck.

It would be great to hear your opinions if you were into this mess. Hopefully this one comes out as something I can be proud of.
    Now that I am this far, there is no turning back. There is still quite a bit of prep to go, but I am in like Flynn.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Just take a colour you like! It´s your guitar, nobody else´s! For example, I would love to have a Tele in a darker green colour (like Sherwood green), and I´d had to repaint one of my guitars, I´d happily paint it in green!

3. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    I like your body too, wait that doesn't sound right. The three pieces would look good with a translucent paint. Don't ask us to pick your color, you will have to live with it. Go to ReRanch and peruse their selection. Looking forward to the end of this.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sure looks like pine to me, with a nice grain pattern to it! If you want to go translucent (I would), choice of colors for that in rattle cans are limited. If, on the other hand, you have and know how to use spray equipment, the colors are endless:
    DSCF1757.jpg PT5397C_zpssbw9vziy.jpg DSCF3492.jpg DSCF4108-2.jpg dsc01352.jpg

If you want a solid color, you won't need to sand back so far, but will still need to make sure that the grain is well filled and sanded level/smooth.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

5. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Thanks for the pictures.... That fuels my fire a bit more, in that I need a translucent spray.
    I have access to automotive spray equipment, but I was initially thinking a rattle can job. My hand is pretty steady, but messing this up would be a lot of work again.

I was thinking translucent Cherry with a slightly darker than typical pore filler.
    It may change at the last moment, but I would really like to bring out the grains, since it was beautiful up close beforehand (even with the Milky Way finish).

Initially when I purchased this one, I thought it might be a pine body. The neck was so dark (in color), I thought it might be mahogany, but sanding it back reveals maple to my eyes.
    It has such a cool sound, I might not go with the gold hardware when I build it back up. We'll see, stay tuned and keep the thoughts coming.

6. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    After searching my back burner, I found something that also needs attention.
    Needless to say, I am going to match the amp cab and guitar. It is a Weber 5E3 that I bought years back, and left partially sanded.

Project started....

Attached Files:

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Tele (or any guitar, really) and a 5E3 are a match made in heaven! I rolled my own with some of the parts from MojoTone and my own turret board. I hear good things about the Weber versions! I also rolled my own Tele!
    Have Fun!
    Gene IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1122.JPG IMG_1163.jpg

8. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Small long weekend update...

The amplifier cabinet isn't quite as important to me as the instrument.
    That being said, I used an orbital sander for the cab and it made quick work of things.
    It will be a matching translucent finish to the guitar, and I am getting pumped about it.

After reading and reading, the continued prep work will be intense for me, but I am up for the task.
    Maintaining crisp body lines and neck lines have been important to me, so it was nice to blast through most of the cab today.

Stay tuned.

Attached Files:

9. jimification

jimification TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2017
    UK
    That's looking nice!!

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I think it looks great in natural with that unintended faux binding effect you have in the photo

11. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Haha... I like everything in natural (hardly even want to finish it), and just enjoy looking at the pieces of wood.
    The amplifier will go under the knife first and get paint. Then, after I feel comfortable shooting, I will give the guitar a go.

The amplifier originally came to me with a brown leather type covering.
    After removing the covering and all the adhesive, I left it natural for a couple years.
    Then...... For some crazy odd reason, I threw some stain on it and didn't like it.

Hopefully this time around I can just leave well enough alone. This stuff burns up my playing time.

Well, here is a small update. The body is almost finished, and the neck is so close that I can taste it.
    Tomorrow I will finish the initial sanding, then figure out the next steps.
    Sanding the finish off the fretboard left a very stiff end that will need to be rolled (the entire time I was so worried about losing any neck profile).

Edit: Tomorrow I am going to plug the jack plate holes with tooth picks. It should be a smooth day away.

Attached Files:

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    So where are you as far as the final material selections?

13. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    I will keep the color (tint) a bit of a secret before the reveal. It will definitely be a translucent nitro finish.
    After reading a bit, I will go with a water based filler (Timbermate) while sanding/sealing.

The body and neck are now ready for the next step. Tomorrow I will head to the wood craft store for some supplies.
    The translucent lacquer that I want to use will be ordered this weekend, and hopefully next week I could be shooting the finish.

This project has worn me down a bit. The sanding and sanding for hours on end.
    It feel like it would have been easier just to get a blank body and neck from the start.
    Oh well, this weekend I will try to give another small update with any progress.

14. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    First coat of sand and sealer has been applied. I only had the brush on method, but I liked how clear was.
    The grain already started looking darker with the sealer applied.

Tomorrow, the grain filling and final sealing will begin. The translucent nitro hasn't quite arrived yet, so tomorrow I will sand/seal the amp cab.

(Edit: The bump area has a tiny amount of filler still left, but I felt it was plenty acceptable.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

15. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Devistated that I couldn't get the translucent nitro aerosol tint in my color, I put the guitar on hold.
    I sanded back the sealer and will shoot it in aerosol nitro sealer next time.

The amplifier has been stained a coat or two. I made a boo boo on the top, but oh well. It will possibly clean up a little bit.
    The binding look around the edges it just sanding sealer (the edges should clean up pretty well).
    It isn't perfect or anything, but I actually like it so far (especially since I carved into it years back).

Not too sure how deep I want to stain, but the amp is coming along.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.