Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

major cracks in lacquer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by moose13, Sep 1, 2017.

1. moose13

moose13 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2015
    USA
    I let this guitar sit for 8 weeks or so now after spraying as i have not had time to work on it, today when i grabbed it i noticed major cracks in the finish. I did some minor wet sanding before but was careful not to flood it with water, everywhere there is a hole i have a big crack in the finish. First of all what did i do wrong? and second how do i fix it? Really bummed about this. Thanks

IMG_3401.jpg IMG_3402.jpg IMG_3403.jpg

2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

moose,
    I'm not a coatings expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if you'd explain your finish schedule and the materials used I'm sure it would help in figuring out what went wrong. Just being honest, that looks like some of my failed finish work where I either used incompatible finish products or I didn't allow sufficient drying or curing time between coats.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

moose13 likes this.

3. moose13

moose13 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2015
    USA
    So its been a while since i worked on it but from what i remember, sanded smooth added sanding sealer and lightly sanded, total of 8 or 9 coats of nitro from stewmac, drying a couple hours between and only 2 coats per day. Probably a week or so between coats. lightly wetsand once about half way through.

4. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Big cracks, I dab in "Clear" nail polish. let each coat/layer dry at least 24 hours. Lightly color sand with 400/600 wet/dry sand paper. After enough coats this way you can completely fill in the cracks. Color sand, down 1000 wet/dry sand paper. Next rub by hand with fine white rubbing compound till clear luster is attained. Now wax, should look like new. MMV.

Milspec and moose13 like this.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    The areas (holes) are exposed vunerable areas once the clear coat cures it shrinks ! and looking at that it looks like a thick finish temp changes will cause deep cracks you could drop fill them cracks but you will still see them

moose13 likes this.

6. moose13

moose13 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2015
    USA
    Thanks Journeyman
    This is my guitar so if there are some minor cracks i will chalk it up to experience, but hope to at least make it look decent

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I've seen that quite often over 37+ years in the business. It usually results from one or more of: 1) applying each coat far too heavily (i.e. much heavier than the normal 3 light passes per coat); 2) excessive total mil thickness (i.e. a complete lacquer system rarely exceeds 4 mils dry film thickness - appx 8-12 coats @ 3 light passes each; 3) lacquer applied (or cured) in temperatures below 65 degrees and then exposed to temperatures over 75 within a few hours and left in that condition for some time, or applied at 70+ degrees and exposed to <60 overnight; 4) any lacquer exposed to cold temperatures - like air conditioned rooms - if applied and cured at >75 degrees

the temperature numbers are approximate to give a general idea of what can happen. But each - or any combination - of film thickness examples can result in an overly-stiff film - which can crack like mad. Lacquer does not work well at excessive thickness, nor does it like temperature changes - especially if thick, where it becomes very unforgiving.

There's really no way to fix it - cracks of that extent cannot be repaired. Small ones - possibly using the previously mentioned method. But not larger ones that are "spiderwebbing". And repairs would only be temporary - the problem isn't solved, you'd only be fixing a "symptom.

hope that helps.

Ps - If you don't mind - why is the finish so "wavy"? That's generally considered a defect that requires sanding (instead of going direct to the buffer) - which also helps even out mil thickness. Did you wet sand at all before polishing?

Also - what's underneath the clear (stains/fillers/sealers) and how was the wood prepared? One other cause of cracking - especially with chipping - is poor adhesion.

Edited to add - and the obvious difference in thickness between natural wood and stained areas - what went on in those areas and how were the different (coats?) controlled?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    wadeeinkauf and moose13 like this.

8. moose13

moose13 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2015
    USA
    so these photos are before any wet sanding or polishing. Under the clear is colortone water based stains.

9. Do Not wet sand with water. Use mineral spirits. If the cracks are all around holes, water is the likely culprit

Aras Bruce likes this.

10. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Blush eraser may re-melt those areas if it is a nitro type finish.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I agree with some above. The finish may have gone on too thick.
    The upper layers begin to dry before the lower ones. When the lower layers finally do start drying it cracks cracks the uppers.
    The holes just allow air in to facilitate this happening sooner.

Sorry but it looks like a refin is in the offing.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Agreed. When a coating system - that has no individual "coats" (lacquer coats melt completely into each other) - is too thick and cracks are extensive, drop-fills with other materials are impractical and almost always re-crack; and if blush remover is applied heavily enough to melt the cracks low "valleys" usually result along with often-uncontrollable runs. Even very experienced finishers don't generally attempt that.

If it's like this before polishing, sorry - it's a defective application. IMO - and I've been at this a very long time - you'd be wasting your time trying to fix it. Best to cut your losses, strip it and start over.

But -

1. What do you consider a "coat"? It's important to know to help you prevent a repeat of this.

2. Why did you let it dry 2 hours between coats? If applied properly you don't need to wait longer than 10 - 15 minutes...assuming the temperature and humidity are suitable for application.

3. Why did you wait a week or so between...I'm not sure what, as you said you waited 2 hours between coats. Did you wait a week between each 2-coat process? That's absolutely unnecessary - it'd be interesting to find out where you heard that was necessary to possibly prevent others from waiting odd times for no reason.

This is also completely unnecessary. As all lacquer coats melt into each other, intercoat sanding is a waste of time. It also increases the chance of introducing contaminants, especially ones pressed deeply into the coating. If the coats are extremely wavy or if orange peel is present simply correct your spray technique in subsequent coats. The only sanding between coats that should take place is if hairs or dust specs are on the surface - which should be prevented anyway.

When the finish is complete sanding is only needed if the surface is a bit wavy. Normally it should be smooth enough to polish without sanding except for a few spots here and there. If wet sanding is needed over the entire thing - especially any situation calling for a grit coarser than 1000 to start - there's a problem with the finish application.

13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    As others have said, your film thickness appears to be excessive. Water is not the best thing to use when wetsanding a guitar. I use odorless paint thinner.

Chalk this one up to experience and try it again.

14. Aras Bruce

Aras Bruce TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I don’t have a ton of experience but I noticed cracks like this the last time I wetsanded with water. I would go with your gut, water or moisture would be able to get in every one of those spots when you wet sanded. I just furthered my cracks and made it an aged/relic job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.