Maestro Rover RO-1 (Value)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tollster, May 28, 2015.

1. tollster

tollster TDPRI Member

Hoping ya'll may be able to help me? I have a very rare Maestro Rover RO-1 in complete form and operating condition. It was my stepfathers who pasted away in 2004. It was tucked away for some time until I got it out a few years back when I had to sell my folks home. I took it to a local lighting and sound man who does shows for Lou Gram. I toured his... warehouse and shop, and felt comfortable after discussing and showing him the piece.
    He recognized the historical value, so I had him test and replace any parts that needed to be replaced.
    He sent the speaker out and had it re-coned, replaced a few diodes and I got the unit back last night.
    The unit itself in in good condition, with stand, variable foot controller, and a foot switch. The variable foot controller controls the oscillation of the speaker, it has a low pass cross over the foot switch can work so you can operate it with an amp, keeping the highs operating through the oscillating speaker. I also found my stepfathers play list and it appears to be when he backed up Freddy Fender and Ronny Dove some time ago.
    I cannot find much information on the web about this piece, and hoping someone here may have some idea on the value, or point in a direction that I may be able to find an appraisal on it. I would very much like to see it go to someone who sees the value, its museum quality, perhaps even the R&R hall of fame or a Hard Rock café..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Tollster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd still uses his from Dark Side '73 to present day in his Astoria Studio and it was used on many of his recordings throughout his career. Currently, Gilmour's is set up in his studio with four mics on it, as it is being used by his engineers to produce 5.1 Dolby Surround mixes and remasters. David has also used his Rover to send a signal from the mixing desk - into the Rover for some movement - the signal thenmiced off the rotating speaker and sent back into the mixing board with spectacular results.

These Maestro Rover units seldom come up for sale due to their extreme rarity. Not many were made by Maestro - Gibson. The fact that itis designed witha 6" paper cone full range guitar speaker makes it very unusual when compared to other units. The condition of the actual paper cone speaker is immaculate

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought one of these....NOS....back in the '90's....very interesting tools. IF you have a Fender am p with trem, you might want to experiment and keep the unit. As you noted, you can run it daisy chained out of the second input jack of an amp. Mixing the two sounds...the trem in the amp and the rotating speaker in the Rover and get some huge doppler effects going on.
    As I understand it, gilmour put his rovers away and ...at least back in the early 2000's...was playing through a custom built rotating speaker rig....probably similar to this but perhaps a bit more powerful. The little solid state amp in the rover is not a huge sound....and quite thin, ime, when played alone.
    A buyer for an L.L. vintage shop talked me out of mine many years ago...and they paid fairly good money. I have no idea what the market for them was or is....I set what I thought was a high price at the time and they paid it. I made sure I made a profit. (;^)...and I still have seller's remorse to some extent. IT would make a great recording tool....I don't see it being much of an asset in live performance due to the lack of volume. I will note that yours differs from mine in that mine had a trumpet-shaped hi-freq horn..not a speaker. As I said, imho, it was not of much use by itself---but sounded great when paired with the right amp. Mine was 100% original...as I said..NOS when 6 of them were found in a music stores storage area in the '90's.
    Email me with a figure that you would take for it if you are wanting to sell it. If it is way too low..or way too high...I'll give you my thoughts. IF it is just right, I might want it. IT is a very hard market to judge when there are never any of them for sale. I have no qualms in assessing what I think something is worth in those situations. I might like yours with the speaker versus the horn more.
    IF you decide to put it up on ebay, let me know that, too. That is one way of 'evaluating' something.

4. tollster

tollster TDPRI Member

Thank you very much Wally, and I appreciate your knowledge on the piece.. I am still digging through what I can find on it, I know there where some variances in some of the early models, some cosmetic, and others where internal. Many of the early ones didn't have the badging on the wire mesh from what I understand, this one does, and perhaps the horn changed as well. I need to take a few more pictures, particularly of the serial number and year made, I want to say this one is 1972.
    I have thought about putting it on ebay, but their 10% hit, combined with a 4% paypal hit, makes me think twice. As you said, I may be able to get a better assessment on the value, since they are so rare and coveted.
    With that said, I had one offer from a collector in France, he was the first one to offer, and close to what I believe is close to the price I found on the "ten most sought after rock and roll musical pieces" http://www.vintageguitar.com/special-features/25-most-valuable-effects/. His offer was very close to the high end found on that sight, but its early in the research. Not to mention shipping and the possibility of damage. I would not even consider shipping overseas without some sort of anvil case. I think the original case would suffice for US based shipping if everything was securely bubble wrapped then double carton the case..
    There was one on ebay years back, and the guy posted it in youtube, I want to say it brought around 1000.00 dollars, but believe some thing may have been missing, the case, and something else.. That was 09 or 2012 I think.
    Still open to ideas and suggestions..
    Thank you.

5. Wally

That list is from 2011, I see. Interesting..... I have owned 5 of those effects....#'s 3, 4, 10, 18, and 20. I sold mine long before those values were put on those items. If you have been offered close to the top of that evaluation, that is beyond my evaluation as a practical tool outside of a recording studio. The link to Gilmour is a big draw to some.
    Fwiw, I have a Bladwin 'leslie' cab without the amp here that is a much more usable tool for that rotating speaker sound.....and I gave $75 for it. (;^)

6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

The last one I remember seeing on eBay was over $2k(about a year ago). I would think to the right collector, it could be in the $2-3k range. They were only made for a couple of years. Put it on eBay for a super expensive price with a best offer & then put it on Reverb for a little less. It might give you an idea of what it might be worth.

7. tollster

tollster TDPRI Member

I sold the Maestro Rover RO-1 to a museum in Harleysville PA. for 5000.00!

I would have never imagined it ever being worth that. The curator said he had most everything the company sold except the rover, said he missed one of ebay 3 years ago, and has been looking around the globe for seven years, but only came across parts, but none working in as good as condition as this one was, ..also got free admission for life..LOL

I am pumped about it!

8. Wally

tollster, I would say that you should be pumped. Another piece I should have kept. (;^(
    I could/would never expect someone to value one of these for that much. There's no explaining some things.

9. tollster

tollster TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally, I thought it was way too wild, checked my paypal account, and even made a few small purchases with it, thinking, something has to be wacky. But, its a done deal, and the $$$ is in hand, he even covered the paypal fees..

I think he really wanted it! LOL

10. Wally

tollster, you were in the right place and the right time and had the right item for sale.

11. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

These are fairly good units but I like the Fender Vibratone better. Everyone has a different choice but I just like the original concept better than the Maestro.

12. shens32572

shens32572 NEW MEMBER!

I sold a Maestro Rover speaker on eBay back in 2010 for $2200, it included the case and both the Speed & On/Off pedals, but it was missing the stand (I read they used a drum stand) . I know nothing about Music or guitars, I found it at a Goodwill thrift store for $14. I could tell it was an interesting piece, figured it might sell for couple hundred dollars. I put if up for auction on eBay, and I started getting emails from around the world. People would ask me if I would ship to UK, Brussels, Germany , Japan, it was crazy. I searched the Google for people that had expressed an interest in buying one in the past, I would email them to let them know I had one on eBay. I got a lot of interest from people with Recording studios, and oddly a lot of interest from people in Austin TX. I was STUNNED when it sold for $2200, I figured OK anyone can bid, but now I need to get paid, but the buyer paid promptly. While it was on eBay I had made a youtube video, I left video up even after it sold , even though video is embarrassing, just because these are so Uber rare, felt I had an obligation. I later picked up another one of these , but it's real rough cosmetically, missing the metal grill & the pedals, but it works, real ugly though, tolllster, youve got me beat at 5 grand, that has to be a record, thats crazy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.