Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Made in Korea Squier series strat. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AdrianO, Jan 7, 2011.

1. AdrianO

AdrianO Tele-Meister

Hello there!! I have a made in korea strat. It says fender as the main logo, very small it says squier. Its just here, sitting in a case, use to belong to my brother years ago, atleast 15 years or so. Now its just sitting in a case, he doesnt play anymore.
    Well.. anyway, what I want to know is, would it be worth it so put some new pickups and hardware on it? It gives a scratching sound switching between pickups and using the knobs. The neck feels fine, from what I can tell its 1 piece, apart from the line in the back. Everything feels good, but would it be worth it?[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

I'd say yes, provided the guitar feels well played acoustically.
    Most important is if the neck feels right to you.
    Korean Squiers/Fenders have a fairly nice build quality, just not that great electronics; my Fender MIK Strat's biggest problems were the dull pickups and the (for my needs) too thin neck.

3. AdrianO

AdrianO Tele-Meister

I was actually suprised how well it sounded acousticly.
    Ill probably go for it then. The neck, and fretboard have been worked on by a local guitar smith, the tuning kets were always replaced with higher quality ones, the old ones were loose and broken. I might as well put some money into it then. Might become a new baby to me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Definitly worth it, as soon as you put your touches on it, you'll love it more. :cool:

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Ahh! I toured with a cream colored version of that guitar for 6 years. Sometimes going from dry, cold weather to humid ,hot weather conditions in the same day, and never had a problem with the neck. I got it cause it sounded great, had a great neck, and it was inexpensive enough that if anything happend on tour I could replace it easily. During that time I had to switch out the electronics due to the scratchiness you describe. I liked the pickups enough but the wiring and switch and pots were crud from he beginning. The whammy may surprise you , don't be afraid to play with the tension. I'd keep it. :mrgreen:

7. AdrianO

AdrianO Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of keeping the pickups, they sound really nice, apart from the scratch. A nice strat tone.

8. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Get a can of Caig DeOxit D5 contact cleaner. Spray the switch run it back and forth a dozen times. Lift the pickplate to get a short spray into each pot you can spray it into the gap by the terminals. Exercise each of the pots running it back and forth a bit. Likely to fix your problems.

9. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

Korean Squiers can be pretty nice guitars. I have a Squier Pro Tone Strat from Korea and it's a real player with very nice vintage sounding pickups.

-DJ

10. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

What I'd do is check to make sure it's a solid wood body--you can do this when you do the contact cleaner, just look on the inside of the routs, the plys of laminates are pretty easy to see. Plywood bodies can be decent, but your chances are better with solid wood.

The neck looks pretty good, maybe it just needs some TLC.

11. AdrianO

AdrianO Tele-Meister

I'm also thinking of changing the pickgaurd. What are your opinions on what would look nice?

12. david fernley

david fernley Tele-Meister

nice necks these guitars are going up in price, put good pickups in should do you fine.

13. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

14. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Don't think you'd go far wrong by sustituting black or tort. Keep the white pup covers, knobs and switch tip on there for a bit of contrast.

15. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely. This is was my first electric guitar. You can order presoldered pickups and pickguard from GuitarFetish and Bob's your uncle!

16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Mint green or white pearl or red tort would look good on it.

17. lckyjcky

lckyjcky Tele-Holic

Those MIK Fender guitars are all CRAP, piece of sheize, and worse. I will take them off your hands and am willing to pay for shipping as well. Please? Pretty please? PLEASE?

18. teletina

teletina Tele-Meister

I haven't seen this post.I still have mine but is Mexican made with original Floyd Rose II and HSS config.,maple neck,it works very well.

[​IMG]

19. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

red tort and change the pup covers and knobs to black....yeah baby!

20. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Some have the Plywood body as stated earlier, however the necks are awesome.

21. LACampbell. esq

LACampbell. esq Tele-Meister

that sounds about right. but it also looks good keeping the knobs and pickup covers white
    [​IMG]

I have a 90's korean strat that's plywood that has incredible resonance and natural reverb from the spring trem. Love it. I also have a 90's korean tele that I redid in Toyota "Creme" with a white pearloid deluxe pickguard
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.