Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Made in Japan Telecasters!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gryffinaura, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjams123

jjams123 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 6, 2013
    Milwaukee WI
    Fernandes Tele

Hey Guys...
    Johnny K here!! First time Poster........

I just bought a Fernandes Tele with a HSC last week.
    I believe it's a 1985 Model.
    The neck plate Serial #L 058332
    Color is light yellow(not butterscotch)
    pick guard 5 screws

I've been looking for a cheaper guitar to use to gig
    Instead of using my 1991 52 tele RI

I saw this guitar but really have no clue about it.
    Is the neck worth keeping all original??
    I was going to have it re-freted with med. jumbos
    But I was wondering if that would take away from the value.
    After reading about these guitars on this site, seems they might
    be worth some value.
    Just looking for any helpful information.

Thanks Johnny fernandes serial #.jpg

Fernandes Body.jpg

fernandes head stock.jpg

fernandes bridge.jpg

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure on the actual model numbers...

Squier E Serial Tele
    Squier E Serial Strat w/ System 1
    Squier SQ 70's RI Strat
    Fender E Serial Strat w/ System 1

Attached Files:

3. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    My MIJ is a 92 black with charcoal pearloid binding, charcoal perloid pickguard, gold hardware and a black headstock with gold lettering.

Swapped the original pickus for a set of early run Bardens and just swapped in a set of Kleins for a little while.

She is a kind of heavy alder and the Bardens were less Tele like than the Kleins.

4. Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego
    Edit, posted in wrong thread.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

5. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I'd keep it stock if it's still playable. If you need to refret then do it with same gauge fret wire.

If these 'Tele' copies are anything like the same era Fernandes 'The Revival' "Strats" then they are stunning guitars. I have a Fernandes 'Strat' from early to mid 1980s and it is one of my favourite guitars. I like it equally as much as my 2004 Fender Custom Shop Strat. Yes, it IS that good.

6. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    That is fantastic!

7. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

That is some bitchin' grain!

8. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NYC

Attached Files:

9. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    When it comes to Fernandes guitar from the `80s, according to my books and what I see in Japan, especially the Revivals, the first number of the serial was the year, and with that altered headstock shape, my guess would be later than `85 for that one...taken the neck off yet? Check the electronics as well, may offer more info on when it was made.

Not the same Canadian Wulfman as posts on other web sites? Photography looks very similar to the Wulfman who now lives in Singapore. Just curious.

10. cayle

cayle TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Philippines
    This is my Fernandes Tele. From the little info I got from the web, it's a Japan only model from the 90s as the headstock shape and logo shows. They didn't use the F style tele headstock during the 90s, but the logo is the newest logo from the 90s.

It's got Rob DiStefano's Cavalier Lion pickup in the bridge, with a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck. Finish, pickguard, bridge plate, control plate and tuners are stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    1980 Breezysound TE-80

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2011
    Right Coast
    I always thought the early Tokai's were a better Guitar than the Fenders that were MIJ that includes JV series.

13. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Greco's aren't far behind, not a Tele but just looking for an excuse to flash this baby...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. arkadymichalik

arkadymichalik NEW MEMBER!

Jul 22, 2011
    Poland
    Greco Spacey Sounds (1976)

[​IMG]
    My Greco Spacey Sounds (1976)

15. Jough

Jough TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Japanese Teles

I got 3, a plain ash, a Paisley and a 72 custom

Attached Files:

16. henryp

henryp Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2003
    New York, NY
    Sounds like mine. See my avatar. Mine has the stick on 50th anniv oval sticker on the back of the head.

17. wulfman

wulfman TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Beijing China
    I've got a fever, and the cure is.....more telecaster!
    Here are some MIJs I have now, Bacchus Vintage, Greco TE-800 and an old Navigator I have here on loan.
    The one in front is a Greco Spacey Sounds TE-500.

They all sound very different.
    [​IMG]

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    1985 '62 Custom- "nashville'd"
    [​IMG]

19. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    I believe mine does as well.
    When I get home next week, I'll look and let you know.

See you are also in NYC!

20. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    These got a bad rap because they came out as a Squier design in early 2000 or so and then were just about given away when they discontinued them.
    These, the Fender 51 Pawn Shop version was introduced and is a whole different monster next the the Squier version.
    These had a MAP price of $849 and GC had them on a special sale for only $525. I picked one up, and it blew my mind how well it was made, and the sounds coming out of it were even more incredible.
    Made in Japan at the Fender Japan factory. It has a Texas Special neck pickup, (Not to be confused with the Tex Mex pickup at half the price although that is a nice pickup also) and the bridge pickup is Fender's Enforcer Humbucker with split coil. In humbucker mode it has a lot of bark to it, and when split by lifting the volume knob it has the exact same sound of a regular Tele pickup.
    Is it a Tele or Strat? Yes. Both. Tele neck, on a Strat body.
    The thing that blows my mind is the frets are so tiny, and the nut is crazy small as well. The action is incredible. With this setup you can put 8's on it, squeeze the heck out of playing a chord, and the chord stays in perfect tune. Why, because with large frets, by the time the note is fingered completely onto the fretboard the string is stretched making an out of tune chord. If you use heavy gauge strings this does not pose a problem, because the string doesn't have to be bottomed out onto the fretboard.
    Anyhow, I love this guitar. Recently plugged it into my amps, and it had the best overall tones out of all of them.
    See the video below and let me know what you think of all of the different tones this guitar provides.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.