Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Made in Japan Telecasters!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gryffinaura, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrrhocorax

pyrrhocorax TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Totnes, Devon, UK
    Just recently picked up an essentially mint "TL-Zebra", 2004/5 from eBay, it's a solid mahogany centre to the body capped with about 3/16" of Zebrawood front and back. The body side over the mahogany is black painted, which looks quite smart with the edges of the zebrawood. Fingerboard is rosewood but glossed, on a quite slim neck, which is an interesting feel and pretty zippy.

I really like it, excellent build quality, pickups are good. Since the pics, during a string change, I have put on some stew-mac compensated brass saddles which have sweetened the intonation nicely, also the straight steel saddles gave a little too much 'edge' for my taste, the brass seems to bring out the best in the pickups. Weight is surprisingly very reasonable, doesn't feel especially heavier than my ash bodied Tele.

Quite tricky to photograph accurately, the hue of the wood seems to morph depending on the light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Who could criticize that? I think it's exactly the tele I want.

3. DelayneDeluxe

DelayneDeluxe TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2012
    WV
    If Ibanez made a tele.... Then that's what it'd look like. Nice guitar but IMHO that bridge would be the first to go.

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    This is the one I'm Jonesin' for!
    [​IMG]

5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Bloody gorgeous Howard! nice one

6. DelayneDeluxe

DelayneDeluxe TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2012
    WV
    I agree with that. The gold hardware is sexy. Very nice.

7. VoxPodio

VoxPodio TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Nonthaburi
    I have the same guitar as the one shown above. But mine is in a pretty sorry state. Good playin' tho. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I have two Japanese Fender Telecasters at the moment, but have owned a few others too that I've since sold.

I have a 1982 JV Model, basically a 52 reissue but it has a Rosewood fingerboard which gives it a very different look. Not sure if it's all original from the factory that way. It's always hard to find out details about some of those 1980s Japanese guitars. The neck pickup in this guitar can create the best warm and thick clean Tele guitar sound I've ever heard. I love it.

I also own a 1997 Fender Japan Telecaster '72 Reissue Thinline. Also a great guitar.

9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I have a Fender Japan TL52-US, bought from John Blackman at Far East Guitars of Essex, England. The attached pic is from his website. Lovely guitar with Fender USA Original Vintage pickups; also an upgraded (i.e. proper) switch and tone cap. Plays beautifully and sounds terrific. The neck and action are particularly impressive. Some UK members may have seen me using it at the London TDPRI get-togethers.

I also own two Japanese non-Fender Telecasters (Oh yes they are!!!). One is a 1980s ESP 400-series, currently wearing Tonerider Hot Classics, which is probably the nicest to play of my six Teles altogether, though it's a damn close-run thing. The other is a fairly new MIJ Tokai Breezysound in rosewood veneer over swamp ash. At present it has the stock pickups but they're a bit so-so and I might upgrade them at some stage, possibly to Nocasters.

I have reason to believe that my MIJ Fender is actually a Tokai build. Whatever, the quality is unimpeachable.

Attached Files:

10. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    TLC-62B

Here's my TLC-62B from 1985. My No. 1 since I bought it in 1989.

Attached Files:

11. Little Chubs

Little Chubs TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I have a 95' MIJ telecaster. It is black with a black pickguard. I love it. It is in the shop getting the nut replaced, but I'll post a pic when I get it back.

12. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2011
    Right Coast

13. extrmcloseupguy

extrmcloseupguy TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2013
    D.C.
    JD Jerry Donahue

Here's my Japan JD Signature Tele

Attached Files:

14. BMusic

BMusic Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Woodland Hills, CA
    image-991837070.jpg

image-2119424697.jpg

Attached Files:

15. wulfman

wulfman TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Beijing China
    Here is my Greco Super Real tele, likely a 1981 made by Fujigen before they started making the JV Fenders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I have a double-bound '62 MIJ reissue. I didn't like the little frets and the previous owner wore cheap cologne and it had sweated into the 'board. So I sold everything but the body and made a killer Esquire.
    I had some trepidation about the poly finish and resonance, but it sounded good and when I put the Musikraft neck on it, I used a neck bolt kit and the whole guitar just rings like a bell.
    I think the bolts, plus a chunky quartersawn maple neck (rosewood 'board) has resulted in really amazing resonance and tone transfer from the neck into the body. Callaham bridge and saddles help, too!
    I really love the way it looks and the way it plays. It's my # 1 now.

17. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    MIJ vs CIJ

Details here on Fender Japan MIJ vs CIJ.

I own several MIJ models including a few 1982 JV models which are stunning. I also own a few CIJ models.

Every Japanese guitar I've played, including Fender, Fernandes, Epiphone, Gretsch, Greco, Orville, and Burny have all been fantastic guitars.

The quality is really top notch. MIJ vs CIJ really has no build quality differences, but the earlier MIJ models, especially from the 1980s are more expensive/valuable.

18. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    THIS ONE m.i.j.
    [​IMG]

19. daniel o

daniel o Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2011
    manitoba

I have one of these,,,,,love it. my first guitar actually. plays great,,,wouldn't trade it for anything.

Do you have the original pickups in it?

20. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

CIJ Aerodyne Tele - 3rd from the left.

Fantastic guitar!!

P90 style neck PU, carved top.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.