Made in Japan Mahogany Offset Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Night Prowler, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

I found a 20% e-bay coupon today that wouldn't work for the 3 sellers that I tried it on. I wonder if the coupon only works for certain sellers?

ETA: I just realized that coupon is limited to a max of $50, and that isn't enough to push me off the ledge anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I play mostly clean through the Rhythm(clean) channel of my Carvin X-60(60 watts, 1X12, 6L6GCs). I lowered the neck pickup and raised the pole pieces for the wound strings. This helped a bit. The p90 has a lot of mids(duh), but I think I might want something with a bit more clarity and clankiness. In no hurry, gonna live with it for a while. I'm fine with the bridge pu.

BigD likes this.
  3. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I played a bit on mine today through my Quilter Aviator Gold on the P90 and as you say it’s a bit middy and I just can’t picture what I would play with it but it is a quite nice tone.

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Is the neck pup actually a P90 size? Be nice if so, as there are many possible replacements if one wanted to do a switch out.

When both pickups are on, it is hum cancelling? That's a nice touch IF the builder makes the effort to implement it.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice to know that they sit well-balanced on the lap! These days I do all my playing while sitting and don't like to use a strap.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine came through a few days ago, but sent it back because it was over 9lbs and other OCD stuff. But not to worry, I found one that’s light and has a chunkier neck. Sounded just as expected, P90 neck (fat, jump-y) with a bright twangy bridge. I can work with that.

I’m starting to think this is not a ‘200-only’ FSR...

8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Great! I was close to start building something like that from Warmoth parts, it would be more expensive. Only problem is that they are listed at 1100$ from my favorite dealer here, that's 1,279.80$... Maybe the price will drop before the limited run ends, but that's very unlikely. :(

9. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was up about 3am "Reverbin'" and clicked the "pay the lady, Sucka" button. Found a 7 pounder with nice golden wood. What the hum, haven't bought a guitar for several months.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

7 pounds for a Jazzmaster plank just don’t happen often—good find!

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Mine finally arrived! Nice guitar. 7 lbs. 4 oz. I was able to get a discount at G.C. $799.99 down to $664. Quite a special guitar, especially at that price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I play sitting, so the contour on the back nestles very comfortably against the rib cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ejphotos, metale, PeteGalaxie and 3 others like this.
  12. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Glad to hear that. It sounded good for a mahogany body but I only have a LP to compare with that wood and it isn't 7lbs by any stretch. Should be here tomorrow and I gotta say that all the photos of these guitars show pretty much perfect fit, finish etc including the frets. Perhaps that is the standard for Fender Japan? It's my first one.

13. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Very nice. How could Mahogany not sound good? I saw one at GC a couple weeks ago, now you can't find them anywhere. They're even on back order on the Fender website. I think it's a great score. I played the one at GC for a little bit and it was very nice. If I didn't already have the offset Tele with a maple neck and corvette blue finish, I think I would have bought it. :lol:

14. BorderRadio

This is in the other owners thread but hey why not?

A654E978-835D-443D-A6BD-2D6B69C29FBE.jpeg 986E94CD-7DD8-4921-9BA7-6E4D4CA8E416.jpeg

ejphotos, metale, LPTyler and 2 others like this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Border... did you reverse the control plate?

Pickguard looks good on it.

16. BorderRadio

Yeah, reversed it. I had to extend a few wires though. I have the pattern :D

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've replaced the long-throw Tele switch with the short-throw Les Paul style switch on several of my Teles and I absolutely LOVE the short-throw Les Paul switches. They are so quick and effortless to operate. The standard Tele switches seem really clumsy and long throw to me now.

Les Paul selector switch - forward and reverse-options:
    [​IMG]

Just a matter of time until I've got all of my Teles converted to the short-throw Les Paul style switches.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  18. Wannabebop

Wannabebop Tele-Meister

I got one, too!
    Came across it at a shop and just couldn’t let it go... Mine is suuuper resonant. Is you guys’ particularly resonant? I just got it three weeks ago and can’t put it down anymore ;)

I’m still setting up the pickup heights since the bridge pickup is a little lower in output. Really love the neck pickup! It’s bold and warm enough for me. But I could see myself swapping the PU’s out in the future. Maybe some routing for a bridge P90? Ah well, very happy for now! This is an astonishing instrument.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    ejphotos, LocoTex and BorderRadio like this.
  19. BorderRadio

Congratulations!

I found the bridge pickup very weak, so I put a Cavalier 51/52 in it’s place. That pickup has mids but the bass side is kinda weak. I plan on putting my spare Nocaster in next.

I wouldn’t route these FSRs, too rare :) Take a look at Rose T90 Freedom pickups, or Rio Grande. P90 style in a Tele bridge format.

20. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

These are sweet looking guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.